Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thejanetjackson
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Staffy aggregative on lead!

Can someone please tell me .why when we take our 2 Staffys to the pub our male dog kicks off when another dog comes in...this sets our other dog off as well and it pandemonium!

when hes out and about in wood and off lead. hes fine.If anyone can help that would be great.he is Spoiling our drinking time!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:36 PM
It is likely he feels threatened and feels the need to protect you.

Maybe don't take him to the pub.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
It doesn't sound as though he enjoys it either so I would leave them at home!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I third leadstaffs and Fivedogpam. Does not sound like your dog is enjoying it and he is probably getting stressed out.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Don't forget that being outside and off lead gives a chance to run away if they need to. Being inside, enclosed and on a lead can make a dog feel threatened and vulnerable. Google lead aggression and you'll see loads on it. It sounds like your dog feels trapped. As others suggested, probably better off leaving your dog at home. If you feel you must take him down the pub then try some focus training so that the dog learns to Sit and look at you (means you'll need to take treats, clicker and a toy with you) as an alternative behaviour to kicking off. It won't stop your dog feeling insecure though, unless he trusts you to take control, so I wouldn't advise allowing other dogs to approach him in the pub. The behaviour will only work if the dog learns it gets what it wants a) a treat and b) left alone
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Perhaps if you visit the pub very often he sees it as his second home and is guarding it!

I'd leave the dog at home. A night spent sitting in a pub isn't my idea of a nice time for a dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
As others have said, it could be territorial, it could be nerves, it could be frustration or he could just be mouthing off. Basically, a whole number of things. Many dogs will bark when on the lead but are fine when off it.

I'm afraid I would leave him at home in that situation as his behaviour will presumably be disturbing others.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah I'd leave the dogs at home.

My FIL used to take his into the local pub with him now and then but not all the time and it was only if we (ie my hubby and I) were in cause she adored us both, they only lived across the road too...might add it's not easy to have a drink with a Staffy trying to kiss you and 'talk' to you while sitting on your knee
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
In fact, I am surprised your 'pub' still allows you to bring the dog in if it is displaying aggressive behaviour. I wouldn't want to go to a pub to relax with a drink if there were aggressive, noisy dogs in there! Not a problem here - NO pubs or restaurants allow dogs in AT ALL.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
TBH I am not sure why anyone would want to take a dog into a pub?

There is nothing for them to do and so, like bored children, they might make up something to do.

Your dog is either territorial or nervous; either way it is not much fun for him, for you or, I would imagine, other regulars?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >