Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Pet passports

got thinking today about passports - horses have one - why not dogs???? (just passports for eveyrday not travelling!!)

for those without horses let me explain - all horses MUST have a passport with them when they travel - if you do not have a passport on you you get fined - im not saying dogs should have a passport with them when they are walked on foot!!, just mabey whilst travelling in cars (thiefs)?

If a horse is sold - passport goes with the horse and a change of ownership form is written in the passport etc..

obviously with a bit of tweaking - as horses and dogs are soooo different - this could potentially work imo... w

what do you think? yes or no and why??? and if yes - how should passports be used and when???

your views............
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Good idea IMO! I never knew that about horses so thanks for the info. I suppose it would be like bringing back some sort of dog licence and I'm all for that. Anything that helps with proof of ownership has to be a good thing.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 05:03 PM
yeah i have to fill out a lot of paperwork etc to have pygmy goats from Defra that are kept as pets that dont move out of their field, but i can go down the road and buy a dog off of a man in the street and get no repercussions, every dog owner having a passport donest sound bad to me
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Good idea IMO! I never knew that about horses so thanks for the info. I suppose it would be like bringing back some sort of dog licence and I'm all for that. Anything that helps with proof of ownership has to be a good thing.

my thoughts exactly

dont quote me on this but i think the fine for a non passported horse is either 1 thousand or 5 thousand..... lota money!!!!!! which could potentially help out chariteis (fine money go to them,,,)

and also make microchipping compulsary....... it isnt for horses but my lad was chipped..... thats in his passport as another proof of ownership - cos let face it - to the intrained person - some dogs are the same... like horses - i know my lad had certain markings,,,,, other people would just say - ahhh its bay... and? lol
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't horses have to have them in case they end up in the food chain somewhere along the line, and any medication they may have taken, which might make them unfit for human consumption, is recorded?

If you mean to make it a compulsory thing for all dogs to have one, I don't really see the point, unless you plan on taking them abroad obviously.. or do you mean as a kind of licence?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Don't horses have to have them in case they end up in the food chain somewhere along the line, and any medication they may have taken, which might make them unfit for human consumption, is recorded?

If you mean to make it a compulsory thing for all dogs to have one, I don't really see the point, unless you plan on taking them abroad obviously.. or do you mean as a kind of licence?
liseence

another way to prove ownership etc....
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:20 PM
We have to have dog licences here in Ireland. They do not actually prove that the individual dog is yours. All they say on them is your name and address, the dogs breed, colour and male or female.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
We have to have dog licences here in Ireland. They do not actually prove that the individual dog is yours. All they say on them is your name and address, the dogs breed, colour and male or female.
more than we have here!!

do you have to carry them?
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
more than we have here!!

do you have to carry them?
No you don't have to carry them. If the dog warden calls at your house and you don't have one then you get a fine. Also if your dog is found loose and picked up by the warden you can't get them out of the pound without a licence.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Think they would be a good idea in many ways, but would probably lead to more dogs being abandoned as many owners would not bother. I actually have apet passport for my bitch as she travelled abroad with her previous owner. Its out of date now forgoing abroad as I have not kept her rabies injections up, but I keep it as it has all her details Name, date of birth, & her chip number & tattoo number so I can prove she's mine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >