Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm so proud of Georgie today!

Up on the green this morning, I was chatting to friends, all the dogs were milling around us and all of a sudden Georgie shot off across the green, I called and nothing, I yelled and nothing, as he got down the bottom near the road (only a quiet single track but STILL a road!)Then I saw what he was after, a rabbit!!! I yelled again, the rabbit ran under the post and rail fencing, but Georgie stopped, thought about it, turned to look back at me and came hurfing back to me!!! I'd call that a result!!!! Everybody said how wonderful he was considering they have all known him since I rescued him 6 years ago when he was constantly running off to see other dogs on the other side of that road, if I didn't spot it first, no matter how much I called him, and he always knew he'd done wrong every time he did it, but today, he actually stopped and thought about it, and I can't tell you how chuffed that made me feel, considering it was a rabbit too!!!

I do remember the last time he ran off like that though, (and a car was coming at the time!!! ) I also had Cassie then, so I put him straight back in the car which was parked alongside the green, with the window open, so he could sit there and watch me and Cassie having a lovely walk whilst he had to stay in the car!! I wonder???!!! Everybody told me at the time how cruel I was to do that, but maybe, just maybe it has now paid off, and it was a year ago!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Well done, Georgie
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2008, 02:36 PM
oooh come over and train mine....pleeeeeeeese
Well done Georgie, once mine have seen something small and furry (usually a squirrel running up a tree) it takes dynamite to shift them from sitting waiting at the bottom of the tree for the squirrel to come down. Silly things have no idea the squirrel is miles away by then
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Everybody told me at the time how cruel I was to do that,
Ah, well, now and again, you have to be cruel to be kind!

I've used the "Look what you're missing" technique before, too - even to the extent of giving one dog a treat just so that the other sees he's not getting one! It reinforces the "The Boss is getting cross" idea without resorting to smacks.

Snorri
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Great result Helena - very impressive! Congratulations!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys He seemed a very long way away at the time, but something must have registered with him that he's NOT supposed to go under the small bit of fencing (he ducks under it to get on the green, whilst I climbe over it,that's normal, it's the only way in!!!)because of the way he stopped chasing it the instant he got to the fencing and looked back at me. Talk about a deciding moment!!!! The joy in his little face too as he came hurfing back up the slope to get his praise, bless him. I wonder if he DID actually remember the day he got told off something rotten and thrown back in the car!!! Well, he could have got himself killed that day and that's WHY I did what I did to him, I had to reinforce that my word is Gospel around here, I do what I do for a reason. You should have seen the smug look on Cassie's face on that morning I did that, she knew why I was doing it, (she'd had that treatment before up at the horse one day) and she kept looking across at him with his little head poking out of the window, as much to say "you norty boy Georgie, if you don't do what mum tells you, she always wins and you end up getting punished in some way or other, your priveledges are withdrawn until your lesson is learned" She had a great big grin on her face the whole time too I could tell!!!!

I've seen him chase rabbits too, and catch one once, (which he GAVE me after 3 requests, I hasten to add!) and I always knew I would never stop him on a chase, but today I did, the rabbit won, and I'm very proud of my boy

Yes Snorri, and the very same people who told me how cruel I was that morning, are the same people who witnessed this, but they all stood there very quietly when they watched him come racing back to me
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Well done to Georgie.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Well done Georgie......a brill result.

I am fortunate the the two young ones don't chase....

But Reah (a Rescue) will chase rats...........only rats too (wonder if she was used to killing rats at sometime) it was alot of hard training work/hours, to stop her doing it outside....to many roads here.
But she still chases them at Babbs Mill, but at least that is a nature centre, and comes back with a HUGE grin on her face.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Well done Georgie
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Well done, Georgie!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >