View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I would wait until your current dog is a bit older. At 12 months she is really still an adolescent so emotionally quite immature. You might find her behaviour takes a nose dive if you introduce a pup when she is still so young.
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi HoneyBunny, I have a Bichon and my son has a King Charles Spaniel. you are right in saying that the King Charles is a calmer breed, but sometimes his patience is sorely tempted by my energetic Bichon, who will hang on to his ears at every opportunity. But they are good friends really lol.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Wow thank you everyone for such great advice! I am going to have a serious think before I rush into anything and take everyones advice here into consideration.

Honey has had two year old female staffy terrier in her house and this dog ate her food, drank her water and played with her toys and she did not care. But Honey did hump her (which Honey has NEVER done to anything, I have heard they can hump legs which Honey has never done and I was really suprised)

But the other dog humped Honey as well. The breeder that I spoke to said that there should not be a problem with Honey of either sex as Honey got spayed at six month way before she went into season. My question is does it matter what sex the other dog would be?

And ScoobyDo that is one very cute Bichon, how old is he/she? Do they calm down as they get older? I got told that they keep the puppy mentality for the rest of their lives lol. Lastly does your Bichon do the Bichon Buzz? It is well funny.
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi again HoneyBunny, Scooby is 11mths old and he's male, don't know if they calm down but I do hope so {a little anyway}. he is such fun though. I have had other dogs but none had the character he's got. yes he does the Buzz and he gives us lots of laughs, and we love him to bits.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi ScoobyDo, aww bless Honey is two months older than him. She is a very high energetic dog lol and can be quite bossy lol. She is tons of fun. Honey is my first dog. Yes the Buzz is very funny.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by HoneyBunny View Post
Thank you for all your information Aww beagles are so cute! Honey being a Bichon Frise has massive amounts of energy we can go for a four walk and she will still run around the house like something mad and would go on for another walk quite happily lol. Will two females be ok together? Honey got spayed before she went into season which was reccomended by the vet at the time...Huge mistake they made a right mess of poor Honey but that's another story.
I see what you mean if I get another dog they will just have to decide between the two who is the top dog between the two
I am really surprised by your saying that Bichon Frises have masses of energy as my sister's just wants to sit on your lap all day-it doesn't like going for walks with her! I was thinking of getting a smaller dog now that my 2 are getting older and I am thinking about a Bichon because they are low energy-you have got me thinking now!

By the way-2 females is supposed to be the worst combination, best is male and female, then 2 males. We have a male and female and they get on fine. Only 2 "squabbles" in 6 years and Parker will just submit to Cherry. They will work out their own pecking order-you just have to recognise it and then put the "top" dog first for getting its food, putting its lead on etc.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I am really surprised by your saying that Bichon Frises have masses of energy as my sister's just wants to sit on your lap all day-it doesn't like going for walks with her! I was thinking of getting a smaller dog now that my 2 are getting older and I am thinking about a Bichon because they are low energy-you have got me thinking now!

By the way-2 females is supposed to be the worst combination, best is male and female, then 2 males. We have a male and female and they get on fine. Only 2 "squabbles" in 6 years and Parker will just submit to Cherry. They will work out their own pecking order-you just have to recognise it and then put the "top" dog first for getting its food, putting its lead on etc.
Really? I have NEVER heard of a quiet Bichon Frise and not wanting to go for a walk has really shocked me. Honey can go for a four hour walk and then can still go into what people call "the bichon buzz" here is a link to what that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu0MCxuVQGI

Bichon Frise do have a lot of energy, generally are quite clever, easy to train on command, can be hard to house train, stubborn, love company and quick to alert if people are knocking on door etc.

They do not like and is not recommended to be left for long periods of time. Honey loves to sit on my knee and have cuddles she is adorable. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions please ask. Btw if you are thinking of letting he/she sleep with you be prepared for a snorer lol.

Honey got spayed a month before she went into season. Would it still not work with another bitch?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by HoneyBunny View Post
Really? I have NEVER heard of a quiet Bichon Frise and not wanting to go for a walk has really shocked me. Honey can go for a four hour walk and then can still go into what people call "the bichon buzz" here is a link to what that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu0MCxuVQGI

Bichon Frise do have a lot of energy, generally are quite clever, easy to train on command, can be hard to house train, stubborn, love company and quick to alert if people are knocking on door etc.

They do not like and is not recommended to be left for long periods of time. Honey loves to sit on my knee and have cuddles she is adorable. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions please ask. Btw if you are thinking of letting he/she sleep with you be prepared for a snorer lol.

Honey got spayed a month before she went into season. Would it still not work with another bitch?
Personally I wouldn't risk it even though I would think that Bichons are a lot more amenable than terriers can be at times! I will tell my Sister about your dog having so much exercise-she will be shocked! I should have known better than to judge a breed by one dog and think they are all the same though as my 2 Kerries are complete opposites. Thanks for your information, will look up the link you put on.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Have read that 2 female dogs may clash and may never see eye to eye, though i suppose there are exceptions to the rule I bet your getting more confused by the day What sex was the dog that you had visit?
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
Have read that 2 female dogs may clash and may never see eye to eye, though i suppose there are exceptions to the rule I bet your getting more confused by the day What sex was the dog that you had visit?
Lol yeah I am getting super confused now, the vet and the breeder of the Cavaliers said that they should get along as Honey was spayed before she went all hormornal lol. The dog that has come to my house twice now is a bitch.

Which are generally easier bitches or dogs?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >