View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animallovingirl
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2007, 08:47 AM

Best type of lead, collar, halti for a 'sometimes' dog aggressive staffie?

Hi there
I am a new owner of a lovely 4 year old small staffie (maybe a staffie cross.. he is a rescue dog)
When out on walks there are some dogs he seems fine with but others he seems to want to have a go with. I am still getting to know him and the warning signs (what type of dog he doesn't like, how he reacts when near another dogs etc). I would like him to stay focused on me when out on walks and was wondering if a canny collar would be useful? I also want to be very in control of him incase he meets one he doesn't like so wondered if a harness would be the best thing instead? So far he has just been out on his normal collar with a short lead when in public and a flexi to let him roam when walking on the beach or park. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sarah
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I can recommend the Gentle Leader easy walk harness.I have tried Halti's with Ollie but he hates them and a Halti harness.
Bought the Easy walk a week ago and it is great it has a front D.ring for the clipping the lead on
Ollie weighs 91/2 stone and I am in total control when he pulls to make friends with other dogs he leaps about a bit but on the spot now.
www.laughingdogs.co.uk
animallovingirl
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi there
Thank you for that. I will look into that and see how it works. Also going to check the link you sent right now
Sarah
WendyP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2007, 06:34 PM
My daughter uses a halti and muzzle on her staffie once they get hold of another dog it's difficult to get them to let go

WendyP
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi, i would suggest a halti, because they help control the head, but with a halti it may take a while for him to get use to it, so only have it on for ten mins at a time and praise him alot when he has it on, but i know a load of people that would suggest it, hope that helpsxx
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi

I would recommend the dogmatic headcollar (if you google it their website will come up) It is similar in design to Halti headcollar but seems to be a bit more sturdy. It will take a bit for dog to get used to headcollar but persevering with praise and treats and it is really worth it. Our dog rubbed his face on the grass when we first put it on but now he doesnt really bother as he can sniff/pant/eat treats and be near other dogs when he is out but doesnt pull at all and I have control. Harnesses can be useful but if there is the possibility of agression on occasions then I think a headcollar gives better control. I was really apprehensive when I first got a headcollar as I wasnt sure if it would hurt the dog or anything and my dog didn't like it at first but I am so glad I stuck with it now.

Hope that helps a little

Dee