Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Hi Het how did you sleep in the garden last night any pictures yet
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello Fred and Helena, no pics yet I'm afraid, its been so dark and gloomy here the last few days the camera would struggle at that distance I think.

But last night when I got home from work and went up to see how much had been eaten and to top it up if necessary, and I got up to the tree and looked up at the box and there sitting in the tree just above it was a squirrel, just sitting looking at me I froze but it scarpered off up the tree, I put some fresh hazelnuts in the box and by the time I got back to the house it was back at the feeder. And this morning they were really busy at the feeder at first light. Theres still a lot of leaves on the tree but once they fall I should be able to get some pics or some video
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Hello Fred and Helena, no pics yet I'm afraid, its been so dark and gloomy here the last few days the camera would struggle at that distance I think.
hope you are lucky and get some soon maybe if you get up out of your bed you might have more luck
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi All,

Ok they are grey squirrels but more are showing in the garden and for longer now that the weather is changing. Or is it that they always know there's something to eat here

Its been said that whilst helping them, you probably are helping to save any damage that they could cause to plants and bulbs. So again, its a trade off.

Because we are now getting more than one and you never which it is...I'm not sure how long it will take to get them really used to me. The important thing is to be seen.

So today I did go into the garden carefully and made no sudden moves and one did keep getting closer and closer to me. And I was not very far from it. So just maybe before too long they'll take little or no notice of me and who knows may accept their food directly from me

I have a nesting box that I put up hoping that a Robin might use it but nothing seems interested in it so I may see if by putting some hazlenuts in it, the squirrel will find them.

The box is protected but has an open front so they should be able to get them out without too much trouble.

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Gildy. I have a friend that has hand fed 3 generations of squirrels - they even come and knock on the kitchen window for food so patience may just serve you well. A thought about the nesting box though, I would be tempted to leave it for the robins, they can take a couple of years or more before taking advantage of a nest box and it would be awful if the two went to use it at the same time
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Morning Ashlady(well, it is around 1am)

Think that you are right about the Robins nest...the problem for now is knowing which Squirrel is which and getting them all to accept me. I came across the one I think is used to me a couple of days ago, almost falling over each other and he/she seemed un-bothered.

Though animals do not think as we do(so we are told)they still must have feelings and I guess it has to be decided whether this tamer squirrel is so because of contact and/or seeing Humans or due to being more curious and adventurous than the rest. It cannot all be down to instinct. And trust must pay its part somewhat.

I have seen a cat in the garden a couple of days this past week but it really does just appear to be passing through and not semingly interested in the birds/wildlife and is if anything using our garden as a shortcut to another.

So far nothing seems to have been afraid of it nor been caught.

More of a variety of birds have been returning in greater number so as the weather changes maybe those that will visit the garden are starting to get used to being fed and the food that is available.

I suspect in the next week or two I better get some extra in ready for Winter and Christmas when supplies may be difficult to get delivered.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3