Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Squirrels!!!!

Thanks to everybody for all the advice over the squirrel feeding. Apparently today they were using the feeder - I didn't see them because I was at work, I will have to wait til the weekend But the neighbours have been watching them
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I am a total animal lover and would never harm any animal, but I wouldn't feed a squirrel.

To me they are rats (albeit cute rats) with fluffy tails.

We have so many where I live and they can be vicious little things; I wouldn't want to encourage them near my cats or dog.

I ensure that my wild bird feeder is in such a position that they can't feed from it.

Sorry to be such a party pooper but honestly when you have lots and lots of them they start to compete for the food available and it's a difficult, no sorry nearly impossible to discourage them
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Hoooray!!!! :smt026 You did it!!! and they are using the feeder (clever little devils) Keep at it Het, the Red Squirrels need all the help they can get if they are to remain a part of our countryside.

Just for your info as well (sad I know!!) but another reason for the greys driving out the reds is because the greys eat the nuts BEFORE they are properly ripe, which the reds can't, so by the time the reds are hunting for their rippened food - its already gone

We need photos Het, lots of photos, pleeeeeeeaaaaassssse

I am dead chuffed for you mate, and you have found another reason to make me very jealous !!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mustards mum
I am a total animal lover and would never harm any animal, but I wouldn't feed a squirrel.

To me they are rats (albeit cute rats) with fluffy tails.

We have so many where I live and they can be vicious little things; I wouldn't want to encourage them near my cats or dog.

I ensure that my wild bird feeder is in such a position that they can't feed from it.

Sorry to be such a party pooper but honestly when you have lots and lots of them they start to compete for the food available and it's a difficult, no sorry nearly impossible to discourage them

I was under the impression that red squirrels were fairly rare and were to be encouraged as one of our natural species
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Hoooray!!!! :smt026 You did it!!! and they are using the feeder (clever little devils) Keep at it Het, the Red Squirrels need all the help they can get if they are to remain a part of our countryside.

Just for your info as well (sad I know!!) but another reason for the greys driving out the reds is because the greys eat the nuts BEFORE they are properly ripe, which the reds can't, so by the time the reds are hunting for their rippened food - its already gone

We need photos Het, lots of photos, pleeeeeeeaaaaassssse

I am dead chuffed for you mate, and you have found another reason to make me very jealous !!
Thanks Ashlady and thanks for all your help, I am looking out for a feeder like yours as I think there is plenty of space for another feeder. I will try my best to get some pictures even if I have to hide in the hedge or disguise myself, I always wanted an excuse to wear those camouflage trousers and paint my face
The reds have it easy round here as there are very few greys, although there have been a couple of cases of pox.
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Het
I was under the impression that red squirrels were fairly rare and were to be encouraged as one of our natural species

Sorry, I didn't know we were talking Reds we don't have them around here, in fact I don't think I have ever seen a Red squirrel

So my comments whould only be taken as referring to the Greys that quite honestly are not that welcome imo. As for any indigenous species then I totally agree they should be encouraged
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I would feed any animals that wanted some food - I find it really offensive when people start discriminating between which animal deserves our help in getting food and which animal dosen't.

Like I have said before when people describe what makes an animal vermin - you could easily describe the human race as such.

Its always a shame that humans are so fast at judging.

I let them all eat - squirrels, foxes, badgers - they are all most welcome in my garden
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 08:34 AM

I saw them using the box this morning, they actually arrived just before I left for work which was nice - though I was late for work
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Het

I saw them using the box this morning, they actually arrived just before I left for work which was nice - though I was late for work
Het, that's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smt026 :smt026 You lucky lucky girl :smt026 :smt026
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Morning Ashlady and Het,

Who says that I do not need advice? nor that I should not perhaps know the obvious. But I bit the bullit and actually bought some Hazlenuts yesterday. OK they were in their shells but hey, in the wild that's how any animal would find them.

Do you put them out in their shells and let the Squirrels get on with it or break them open and put them out shelled? Its going to be fun cracking them open if that has to be done.

I haven't a feeder but as my Squirrel likes to bury what he finds or take them away with him, I thought I'd do the same as with monkey nuts.

Throw a few out and let them be discovered.

If the worst comes that doesn't work I'll put a few in a normal peanut feeder shelled and mix them and whatever manages to get them will or I'll whizz them in my mixer and add the chopped Hazlenuts in with the bird seed.

Gildy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >