Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I have stood in petshops loads of times hearing them giving out completely the wrong advice about various animals . They have even told me things which are rubbish .
Not all pet shops give out rubbish information!
Some of us actuually do our research and give out the correct info!
Everything you've said is what I tell my customers!
They don't always listen though! lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Not all pet shops give out rubbish information!
Some of us actuually do our research and give out the correct info!
Everything you've said is what I tell my customers!
They don't always listen though! lol
Same! we are not all rubbish, but there are a lot of rubbish ones out there.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Well I would say don't put near car fumes is right. But my imagining of that would be an enclosed garage with a car coming and going a lot. Am I right in thinking the car port although covered is not totally enclosed, meaning car fumes would disperse quite quickly? That in theory ought to be ok so long as the car isn't facing the hutch as you start it up and it's not left running by them. But they can be sensitive little soles. Not sure how much room indoors you have but I know others that have an indoor hutch for the winter, the big plastic kind and then just get the piggies out for a bit of exercise and a cuddle daily. Not sure if this helps your dilemma any. Mine do come in for the winter they live in the porch.
Yes that right the car port has got a plastic roof on and a brick wall (the house one side) and open the other (next door car port no car there). Thanks for advice will have to have a think what to do.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Another thing you have to watch about keeping them outside is the mice move in when it gets cold
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh ours managed outside once I put a blanket over them. They do make the most endearing noises though, ours used to go daft when they heard me chopping veg in the kitchen. My neighbour thought it was birds at first until I pointed out it was Charlie and Jinky both going daft cause I was chopping cucumber for them (they loved cucumber, would sell the others soul for a bit).
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Oh ours managed outside once I put a blanket over them. They do make the most endearing noises though, ours used to go daft when they heard me chopping veg in the kitchen. My neighbour thought it was birds at first until I pointed out it was Charlie and Jinky both going daft cause I was chopping cucumber for them (they loved cucumber, would sell the others soul for a bit).
Did you also put the plastic waterproof sheet over them as well as a blanket during winter time?
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi there,

Firstly guinea pigs are not very good outside, in mine and many guinea pig experts opinion they are indoor animals. You need to be careful where you research cavies as well since a lot of information in books, the web etc can be misguided, wrong or just plain dangerous.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/
The above website will be able to give you a good insight on what is needed for guinea pig (cavy) accommodation. Since you are getting two 10.5 sq ft is really the size of cage/hutch you should be aiming for. Of course if they are both male then it is a matter of the bigger the better.

Regarding the garage, I personally would keep them well away from cars. The reason they really don’t do so well outside is because cavies are so sensitive to changes in temperature, drafts, heat, and the air around them. It is ridiculously easy how they can get URI’s (upper respiratory infections) – which is extremely serious and more often than not, fatal. Another reason I would not keep cavies outside is because when they do get ill, time is everything, and its less likely you will notice an illness if they are out of mind outside. Not to mention predators likes foxes, ferrets, cats…humans.

As already said a constant supply of hay is vital for their gut and teeth. Guinea pigs need to constantly have something in their stomachs processing. They are foragers and will usually eat a lot throughout the day. Hay is also their favourite toy.

As for hard feed, they need about half a cup full per pig per day, although this may need to be more if they are being kept outside. Only use a pellet, not a mixed based feed. The three best on the market are Oxbowe Cavy Cuisine, Supa Excell Guinea and Pets at Home Nuggets. The mixes encourage fussy eating and also have lots of extra bits and pieces that look good but it would be like feeding children McDonalds every night. Not to mention some even contain such ingredients as peas, colourings and so forth.

Fresh veg should also be given daily – ideally spread over 2-3 meals a day however 1 is fine.
Please refer to this diet chart to understand what can be fed how often a week.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

My guinea pigs are given the following each day [per pig per day]…
-1-2 Round Lettuce Leaves (any lettuce apart from Iceburg is okay, although Romaine contains more sugar than Round)
-20-30 Coriander Storks (with leaves)
-¼ of a Green Pepper (contains less sugar than red & yellow – this is such a great source of vit c but NO SEEDS)
-1 hand-gutted baby tomato (seeds removed)
-EITHER 1 baby carrot/1/2 celery stick (cut into small chunks to avoid choking)/1 inch of cucumber
-Every other day one of the following…4xDill storks or 4xParsley stalks

Once a week you may give fruit however anymore often isn’t good for them and not too much. I tend to keep to grapes (1 p/p) and apple (1 inch p/p).

When it comes to Vitimin C, this is very important however a good pellet food along with a good vegetable based diet will be sufficient and do a good job of this. Never add supplements, vitamin drops to water, mineral or salt wheels etc. They are commercial junk and do more harm than good.

As for the petshop thing, I would honestly go to a rescue. It is so shocking how many times I have heard people getting pregnant sows from pet shops (even Pets at Home), or a girl and boy when it was suppose to be two girls etc and ending up overrun with babies. Not only that but the situation with guinea pigs needing homes is pretty bad, and so is the breeding scene behind most petshops.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
Hi there,

Firstly guinea pigs are not very good outside, in mine and many guinea pig experts opinion they are indoor animals. You need to be careful where you research cavies as well since a lot of information in books, the web etc can be misguided, wrong or just plain dangerous.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/
The above website will be able to give you a good insight on what is needed for guinea pig (cavy) accommodation. Since you are getting two 10.5 sq ft is really the size of cage/hutch you should be aiming for. Of course if they are both male then it is a matter of the bigger the better.

Regarding the garage, I personally would keep them well away from cars. The reason they really don’t do so well outside is because cavies are so sensitive to changes in temperature, drafts, heat, and the air around them. It is ridiculously easy how they can get URI’s (upper respiratory infections) – which is extremely serious and more often than not, fatal. Another reason I would not keep cavies outside is because when they do get ill, time is everything, and its less likely you will notice an illness if they are out of mind outside. Not to mention predators likes foxes, ferrets, cats…humans.

As already said a constant supply of hay is vital for their gut and teeth. Guinea pigs need to constantly have something in their stomachs processing. They are foragers and will usually eat a lot throughout the day. Hay is also their favourite toy.

As for hard feed, they need about half a cup full per pig per day, although this may need to be more if they are being kept outside. Only use a pellet, not a mixed based feed. The three best on the market are Oxbowe Cavy Cuisine, Supa Excell Guinea and Pets at Home Nuggets. The mixes encourage fussy eating and also have lots of extra bits and pieces that look good but it would be like feeding children McDonalds every night. Not to mention some even contain such ingredients as peas, colourings and so forth.

Fresh veg should also be given daily – ideally spread over 2-3 meals a day however 1 is fine.
Please refer to this diet chart to understand what can be fed how often a week.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

My guinea pigs are given the following each day [per pig per day]…
-1-2 Round Lettuce Leaves (any lettuce apart from Iceburg is okay, although Romaine contains more sugar than Round)
-20-30 Coriander Storks (with leaves)
-¼ of a Green Pepper (contains less sugar than red & yellow – this is such a great source of vit c but NO SEEDS)
-1 hand-gutted baby tomato (seeds removed)
-EITHER 1 baby carrot/1/2 celery stick (cut into small chunks to avoid choking)/1 inch of cucumber
-Every other day one of the following…4xDill storks or 4xParsley stalks

Once a week you may give fruit however anymore often isn’t good for them and not too much. I tend to keep to grapes (1 p/p) and apple (1 inch p/p).

When it comes to Vitimin C, this is very important however a good pellet food along with a good vegetable based diet will be sufficient and do a good job of this. Never add supplements, vitamin drops to water, mineral or salt wheels etc. They are commercial junk and do more harm than good.

As for the petshop thing, I would honestly go to a rescue. It is so shocking how many times I have heard people getting pregnant sows from pet shops (even Pets at Home), or a girl and boy when it was suppose to be two girls etc and ending up overrun with babies. Not only that but the situation with guinea pigs needing homes is pretty bad, and so is the breeding scene behind most petshops.
Thanks for all your info its really helpful.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I would have said exactly the same as guinea pig queen. Our guineas live indoors as they really don't like tempreture changes and draughts etc can kill.
Also if indoors you are more likely to know if they start to feel unwell and guineas are very delicate and time can be of the essence to get them treated.
We feed the same as GPQ. and if you can bed on towels and fleece it is much better for thier airways.
Here is a pic of our girls cage, this houses two pigs. We also alternate with different toys for them too.

ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 03:21 PM
fresh greens everyday, unlike rabbits guines need fruit n veg (vit C)
you can get covers that go over the hutch from P@H all my guines n bunnys have been kept out over the years.
get a cover for you bottle there is nothing worse than frozen bottles.
ATD x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >