View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Purpose of a Border Collie to work sheep and help on the farms.
Now why get Border Collies then if you don't do this ?
Agility is not a purpose these dogs weren't made for this,its something humans make them do.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
Well, they wrote some guidelines on how they think breeds of dogs should look. did they??/

The bulldog didn't always have such a large squashed head and heavy chest, some people just thought that this looked better. which people??
The breed standards are OPINIONS of an organisation, which organisation?
they are not fact, just ideas, i see ?which is why they can be changed and new breeds can be accepted!
Name some??
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I have a feeling the idea of designer names was because the names mutt/mongrel etc are often said with disdain and almost loathing by some pedigree owners. And I can't see why the names are so bad really, what is bad is some of the dogs used to breed them not being top notch and the amazing prices being charged.

Having never bred a dog I don't know what I would call them myself I do know Mollie was a retrieverdor when we picked her up but has far more collie in her than Labrador so she was miss named anyway and we just call her a retriever collie cross as that seems to describe her perfectly well I don't like mongrel or mutt though as a name because it is rarely said kindly.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I have a feeling the idea of designer names was because the names mutt/mongrel etc are often said with disdain and almost loathing by some pedigree owners. And I can't see why the names are so bad really, what is bad is some of the dogs used to breed them not being top notch and the amazing prices being charged.

Having never bred a dog I don't know what I would call them myself I do know Mollie was a retrieverdor when we picked her up but has far more collie in her than Labrador so she was miss named anyway and we just call her a retriever collie cross as that seems to describe her perfectly well I don't like mongrel or mutt though as a name because it is rarely said kindly.
no they are given so they can charge more
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

I rather just call my dogs by their names as i dont like mongrel,mutt but crossbreed is fine as this what they are.
I dont see the problem they are just dog's and we love them.
It was not us owners who labelled them Labradoodles or Cockerpoo's etc.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no they are given so they can charge more
No, currently that is true but long before they started charging for it people were joking about having cockerpoos etc instead of calling them mongrel or mutt. The names have been going around far far longer than the inflated price tags.

And I have one of those too
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 12:18 PM

No, they are given the names because you can add an extra 0 or two on the price tag.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, they are given the names because you can add an extra 0 or two on the price tag.
true. Many crosses are sold for more than their parent`s breeds would be.
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, they wrote some guidelines on how they think breeds of dogs should look.

did they??/

Yes...
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...public/breeds/

The bulldog didn't always have such a large squashed head and heavy chest, some people just thought that this looked better.

which people??

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

The breed standards are OPINIONS of an organisation,

which organisation?

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

Name some??

Name what? breeds that have been introduced overtime? not all breeds existed at exactly the same instant, they were selectively bred over the years.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se.../public/breeds

Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
A doodle isn't a breed so perhaps thats why i love them.
Not into breeds.
Its silly you pick what dogs you like and we pick what we like simple,
I dont tell you how to spend your money.
Or should this country become like the Nazi camp only blue eyed and blonde hair people!¬!!!!!
The point is reputable breeders are trying to make the dog world a healthier place, using what is recognised because it is known because us selfish humans have destroyed them. We shouldnt just go round buying what we like we should be more educated than that now and seek out reputable breeders of what we like (which can be crossbreeds to).

Only need to look at the BC and Cavalier to see what happened in the past.

The problem with crossbreeds is it is unknown, anything about them. Its true that all pedigrees came from crosses but how many years ago. That form of crossbreeding was for a specific reason with an aim, yes there were health issues caused by it but atm every tom dick and harry are creating there own little breed, it should be done by those with understanding. The same mistakes made then are re-occuring now with these crosses.

Also with some of the doodle breeders and owners who make general sweeping statements. I dont hide anything and am completely up front with our cocker poodle cross She is entirely wired to the moon, very energetic, but she is very trainable when you get her to focus. I also know four other "cockapoos" who are entirely different. We were all lucky in that all of the dogs have retained a non shedding coat even after puppy hood. However instead we have the horrendous task of grooming a cocker poodle coat. It is not a low maintenance dog.
Here is my mum and dads dog as a pup. Look how black her nose is lol.

Look at her now, I call her poodle poodle lol

The point is you dont know what to expect so uneducated people can buy one thing and get another a year later. And with so many behaviours and looks being claimed you can see why they end up in rescue.
Heres the other 4 i know. Very different from Amber.

and her with them
Page 14 of 28 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »