Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-08-2010, 12:09 AM

Britain's Unwanted Pets - on tonight BBC1 8.30pm

Panorama BBC1 20:30 - Monday 2nd August.

Last year saw a big increase in the numbers of stray dogs recorded as being picked up in the UK. Tom Heap discovers that many of the unwanted dogs in pounds and rescues are Staffordshire bull terrier types - and asks why so many of them are being let go and destroyed.

Has the fashion for aggressive looking 'status' dogs contributed to the numbers of abandoned pets the authorities are now having to deal with? Panorama has gained access to one of the most famous animal rescues in the world, Battersea Dogs Home, and reveals the shocking truth of the numbers of dogs it is having to put to sleep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tcfmp
You'll be able to watch it live here.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
The UK's oldest animal shelter says it had to put down roughly one third of the dogs it took in last year.

Battersea Dogs and Cats Home said it had no choice but to destroy 2,815 animals - of which 1,931 were healthy - because they were unsuitable to rehome.

The charity rehomes or returns about 5,000 dogs a year, but a growing number are put down because their behaviour means they pose a safety risk, it says.

The charity says the issue of stray, aggressive dogs needs to be addressed.

The RSPCA, the UK's largest animal charity, said it had been forced to close its doors to the increasing number of discarded animals in order to concentrate on rescuing those genuinely at risk of cruelty.

"Last year, 2009, we killed 533 healthy dogs. And you'll notice I used the word kill there rather than put to sleep or humanely euthanise. There's been enough euphemism, we really need to tell it how it is," said the RSPCA's Tim Wass.
yes we noticed you said KILL and not euthanise or pts Mr Tim Wuss
read more....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10807271
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
I dont think the person quoted actually enjoys this part of his job having to "Kill" these dogs, but I think his point was more to try and hit home that the gentle way of saying it ie PTS dosnt seem to have the impact required to get it through to people that they are breeding/not training dogs that cannot be rehomed due to aggression, anyone that works in a rescue hates the fact that there are hundreds of dogs that if raised correctly could be placed in loving caring homes, but sadly the number IS rising on dogs that this can never be the case for.

Mo
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Sad, I agree with Mo I think that was away of telling everyone......''thats what we are having to do and we do not want to do this....... pts always sounds to me a gentle way of saying things, maybe the word Kill will hit home that whilst the people who toss these poor animals aside without a second thought......someone else has a dirty job to do
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 07:40 AM
GRrrr makes me so mad The sickest thing is, the people KILLING these dogs are your everyday person, people who live next door to you, people you work with, old friends, even family. This godamn place has just got so self centered without a second thought for these poor dogs who only live to please people.

I like this quote "Mr Wass said he believed some dog owners took more responsibility for their furniture than their dogs"

Just says it all.

Hence, another program I can't bear to watch
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I dont think the person quoted actually enjoys this part of his job having to "Kill" these dogs, but I think his point was more to try and hit home that the gentle way of saying it ie PTS dosnt seem to have the impact required to get it through to people that they are breeding/not training dogs that cannot be rehomed due to aggression, anyone that works in a rescue hates the fact that there are hundreds of dogs that if raised correctly could be placed in loving caring homes, but sadly the number IS rising on dogs that this can never be the case for.

Mo
I agree with the above, the word "kill" is not a expression used to discribe his own feelings on this,but to give a more a shock, sit up and listen, impact !!

Will be hard to watch, saw a bit on the news this morning,
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree with the above, the word "kill" is not a expression used to discribe his own feelings on this,but to give a more a shock, sit up and listen, impact !!
Kinda typical Panorama though, sensationalise to the extreme...and then a bit more, but in this case, probably not a bad thing.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't think I can bear to watch this programme as I find it too upsetting. But I'm glad that it's being aired ~ maybe it will have some effect on those thinking of getting a dog ~ perhaps they'll realise that they can't offer a dog what it needs or maybe they'll be willing to take on one of these rescue dogs if they are able to offer it a good life?

But whilst the problem of strays & abandoned dogs may be getting worse, & that there are now more bull breeds in rescues than ever before, part of me thinks that the alternative to euthanasia for these dogs could be worse .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I don't think I can bear to watch this programme as I find it too upsetting. But I'm glad that it's being aired ~ maybe it will have some effect on those thinking of getting a dog ~ perhaps they'll realise that they can't offer a dog what it needs or maybe they'll be willing to take on one of these rescue dogs if they are able to offer it a good life?

But whilst the problem of strays & abandoned dogs may be getting worse, & that there are now more bull breeds in rescues than ever before, part of me thinks that the alternative to euthanasia for these dogs could be worse .
I agree, sometimes there are worse things that can happen to a dog that beign PTS!!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I saw a clip of this on tv this morning. The bit that caught my attention was the reporter in the kennels/pound with the police officer:

Police: This one's a pit bull type so will have to be put down.

Reporter: What makes him a pit bull type - it's obviously not his character.

Police: Well basically, he looks like one.....

(I admit - seeing a dog wag his tail in a cage isn't a full & thorough test of temperament, but a full and thorough test isn't required if the dog looks like a type.)
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »