Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Dog Walkers! - Good/Bad?

Hello

I am thinking about changing jobs in the near future (I wanted to before I got Monty but wanted to wait until he was settled etc.)

The only thing is I am unlikely to be able to find work as close as I am now, therefore meaning I wouldn't be able to come home at lunchtime for Monty!!

I have enquired with a local dog walker who has a small business and was just wondering what people think of the service? I think it would be great for Monty as she also walks another dog, would love to hear from anyone who also has a dog walker! - I know it is fairly expensive but I am hoping to find a job that pays more than I am now! (I certainly need the money )
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I do know a very good and reliable dog walker in Cornwall...wonder if it is who you have called - if it is - he is very good with dogs.

Juts noticed you said she....won't be the same one
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 11:03 AM
LOL----just what I did!

I'd make sure whoever it is in insured to walk them.

Then go with your gut feeling and any word of mouth recommendations.

rune
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
In the real world, I think they are a great solution for those that have no choice but to leave their dog all day. here we have places that offer day care service for dogs. It is a great solution for the problem too.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm in two minds about dog walkers.

I love the idea of it, but personally, I would have to know the person before leaving them in charge of my house key and my dogs.

I think they are great for people who are more trusting than me lol
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
im the same i like the idea, but im not too keen on letting someone who i didnt know have keys to my house. they could snoop about or anything

i think the service is good though, and its an idea if youre not going to be able to get back to him, its what works for you. i couldnt do it but if your comfortable and its going to be good for monty then do it.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
They can be great, but then you can get some horror stories about some of them.

Research well into the person you are thinking on hiring, if they are insured, how long the time the dog will actually be walking, wether it's on or off lead, mixing with other dogs, do they require all dogs to be vaccinated (iincluding Kennel cough), where the dogs will be walked. References, references, references.

Good Luck.
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I do know a very good and reliable dog walker in Cornwall...wonder if it is who you have called - if it is - he is very good with dogs.

Juts noticed you said she....won't be the same one
LOL!

Coulld you pass me his details on? (you can pm if you want) I am only enquiring at the moment for prices etc. It might be that I never need one!

She does seem ok, she has spoke about all the things mentioned here so that is a good sign so far!

Thanks for your help and advice everyone!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
I have used a dog walker several times before and had no problems. but before we used them, they spent a couple of visits walking them with me and just generally getting to know them, which i thought was important.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I would definitely get some personal recommendations. I personally wouldn't go trawling through the Yellow Pages looking for dog walkers. Word of mouth is always best.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >