View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Gosh that must have been unnerving for you.
Well done for calling the police.
I feel safe out walking be then i walk on the moors so don't really meet anyone. I even walk in the dark.
I tend to think where I live is a safe place not much happens in the way of crime. I would be more scared walking in a town or city where alot of people are.
I know that at least one of my dogs would potect me anyhow.
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:27 AM
There are certain places I feel safe on my own but that cuts down on my choices which I feel is so sad. I never walk in the dark anywhere. When I used to have my big working dogs I always felt safe but unfortunately my lovely Holly dog would just love them to death
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Gosh that must have been unnerving for you.
Well done for calling the police.
I feel safe out walking be then i walk on the moors so don't really meet anyone. I even walk in the dark.
I tend to think where I live is a safe place not much happens in the way of crime. I would be more scared walking in a town or city where alot of people are.
I know that at least one of my dogs would potect me anyhow.
Whereabouts in the south west are you?
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Soft as Bruce is i feel very safe walking him as to those that dont know him (or dogs in general) are usually a bit scared of him.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Whereabouts in the south west are you?
Just outside Tavistock. You?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Just outside Tavistock. You?
We live in Tiverton so about an hour away.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
2) You could also try saying things to your dog as you pass these types such as "No Monty no kill today" or maybe "No Monty we're not practising the attack today" Say it in a loud voice like you mean it
This made me think as just today I told Pepper to "leave it" in my firm voice because she was looking like she was about to be too friendly to a jogger, the jogger looked a little worried...for about a second until he clocked Pepper. But if you had a big dog I bet even that would make someone think twice, you wold know the dog was friendly but they wouldn't!

J.
LittleMonster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I can be nervy when walking, but Asher makes me feel safe as he does care about his Mummy, and he's big enough to look scary - and probably would defend me!

The only slightly weird thing I've had happen was a bloke hinting around for a lift in the summer, if I'd had my mobile on me I may have let him borrow it, but no way was a letting a stranger in my car!

I'd like to think the beach I've bene going to over winter, that somebody would intervene if there was an attack - obviously can never say for certain, but it's the friendliest place I've walked so far, I can't imagine it being overlooked there like in cities, may be a virtue of a rural area though!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm very lucky as monty is trained to react to a threat whether on or off lead. If he's on lead and i alter the lead, he will switch on and start barking, a second tweak will up the tempo and if i take a hold of his collar then he knows it serious trouble. Off lead, he tends to close up to me and just watches, waiting on a command.

Even without that though, i have to admit, monty is very protective for which i am glad. Like a few folks i've had a couple of lucky escapes so monty is my confidence.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your walk as much as you shul dhave but well done for reporting this to the Police. Many people woul dhave thought that as no crime had been committed )or attempted) there wouldn't be any point in reporting it but as you said, what if you'd not said anything and someone was attacked?

It just means that you are very aware of your surroundings but it's a shame you can't feel safe where you want to walk.

If I have Buddy with me I don't feel at all safe. In fact I tend to feel more vulnerable. Even though he's the ne out of the 4 of them that would certainly bite if anyone tried anything but because he's a small dog (comapre to the others anyway) nobody thinks he would do it.

With Zane being the mnster he is (size wise) then nobody would bother me with him, even though he's the biggest wimp on earth.
Yiannis would happily have a nibble on more or less anyone if they got close enough and meant to do harm and Ellie would certainly guard an dprotect.

I've never een in a situation with my currnet dogs where they've been put to the test in that way but I'm sure if I had Oscar with me, they would certainly have the attitude of "bite first and ask questions later". Oscar beliongs to them as far as they're concerned (which is nice) and I know that even in the park if he runs off, I can send Zane or Ellie (particularly) aft4er him to look after him or bring him back and he will come to no harm. having said that, he's never out of my sight and not far enough away for anything to happen.

Laura xx
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >