View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Gosh, you poor thing! I would have been terrified!

It's funny you should mention that though, just the other day I decided I needed to pop to the shop for some bread & milk. There was only me and Zara at home at this point, but at least two people need to go (one to go into the shop, the other to look after Zara outside)
Since there was no-one to watch Zara, I decided to go alone.
Once I had started walking, it only then occurred to me how vulnerable I felt! It felt strange walking along silently in the early morning. A few people walked past me- nothing unusual, but I could feel the difference between them walking past me when I was alone and when I was with Zara. They weren't worried about pushing past, whereas when Zara's with me, they tend to give us a LOT of space!

It just goes to show the difference Zara's presence will make. I absolutely know for a fact that if I was ever in trouble Zara would jump to my defence. However, I wouldn't ever want her to put herself in danger for me, but being a typical GSD she wouldn't think twice about it. Same as I wouldn't think twice about doing the same for her.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:29 PM
oh that sounds so scary!

if im honest, i dont get scared or worried when walking jake. i dont think he would ever do anything but when i see people walking towards us or if they are getting close behind us, i shorten his lead coz he likes to jump at people and although he is getting so much better, i still do it just in case so i think that makes people think he could be aggressive. he also watches people closely, and has the fixated BC look, which i think can be intimidating to some people. i know he wouldnt do anything though... just maybe lick them to death

i think i will be more careful from now on though after a scary incident on friday! didnt involve walking, but i was sitting in my bfs car, round the back of his work in the dark, and a guy got in the car! i panicked, he just wanted to move the car forward (long story) but i didnt know that, so went crazy and started screaming! i never thought that would happen sitting in the car... so i think i will be more cautious out walking now too. it gave me one hell of a fright!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I walk country lanes, and country parks, and do find with 2 staffies with me, no one bothers, tend to give me a wide bearth....
budskipup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
the ownley time I've felt scared is when we were looking for budski a few weeks ago in some enclosed fields and woods in the middle of nowhere in the dark , I was standing with my d-in-law and grandkids when we heard a grunting and growling noise and saw this beast jumping over the gate and running towards us we jumped in d-in-laws car with me in the front and them in the back , I was desparately trying to put the central locking on but couldn't do it .By this time the beast had reared up onto it's back legs and it's face appeared at my window grinning and said" hello mum whats the matter ". It was my oldest son , when my two other sons heard the screams Tim said we should go back but Dan said it's only Leigh ( he knows his brother ) Up til that moment I've never felt scared in nearly 5 years of dog walking
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Poor you.

I was thinking something simular last night when unwittingly I put Bruce and myself into a situation, I popped to the Petrol Station (late) a group of drunks...party goers....were giving the guy behind the counter grief.
They were staggering and falling about, when I came away they followed me for a short while shouting....give us your fags, and lets see your dog then.

Bruce was stressed (pulling and trying to get away) but as they got nearer his stress turned to aggressive growling....I know it was pure fear on his behalf, but thankfully enough to make them walk another way
I didn't think dogs were allowed in petrol stations? That's good to know then as I quite often walk there alone rather than tie Woody up outside like you Zara's Mum thought of.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I didn't think dogs were allowed in petrol stations? That's good to know then as I quite often walk there alone rather than tie Woody up outside like you Zara's Mum thought of.
They aren't, when its late they serve from a hatch so we were outside.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
They aren't, when its late they serve from a hatch so we were outside.
Oh, gutted! Now that defo doesn't help, I'm far too much of a wuss to walk out that late at night, even with my dog.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
sounds like everyone's been having scares recently. hopefully as the nights get lighter it'll dwindle.
i was thinking about my dog walking days, i used to walk a male staffie, lovely boy and great with everyone...but one time in the park, a drunk man came stumbling towards me agressively and levi jumped in front of me and barked like he meant it, the man soon left. he also protected me from an agressive dog that was trying to jump up me, he was a great protector, knowing when to act and when to love.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Horrible experience, glad the police are taking it seriously.Canal towpaths can be a bit dodgy , there can be long stretches with no place to turn off.
When I had my first dog 40 odd years I was walking on a towpath and this young bloke came up behind me and asked where the next place to get off the path was, he then went ahead of me, disappeared behind a hedge and emerged naked from the waist down. I about turned and went home as quick as possible. I was so scared even though I had a big dog with me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Having always had GSDs, I`ve never been afraid ... for myself
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >