View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 08:15 PM
We are buying from a breeder as we have a mind set on a certain breed, with traits that suit our life style. Yes there is a breed rescue, but alot of the dogs that come in are older dogs or have temprement issues (ie dont like children ect) This is not suitable for us as we have 2 boys of 3 and 7. We need to know what we are getting.

When we buy our dog we will know its full history - health and temprement wise and will have a knowledgeable breeder to fall back on, should any problems arise.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats your choice , but dont judge those who wish to buy from a breeder by your own requirements.. breed may not matter to you, but it may to others.

If someone wished to buy a dog/pup from a breeder and support the breeding of pedigree dogs, why is it is such a problem to some, against those who wish to choose a pedigree pup from a breeder.

Because it seems there is an undertone from a few who seem to condemn the practice of buying a pedigree from a breeder.
excuse me, what was that in aid of?? what the hell did i say that deserved that response? please fill me in on this one...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
'While there are some, rescue one'
cant rem who said it but I am sticking to it
I doubt I would find a breeder who ticked all my boxes and I refuse to support a dodgy one

anyway, Ben was under 8 weeks when I got him and there were 4 other litters in dogs trust at the time

Unless you want to show - and if you do you would prob know a breeder anyway - then I really dont see a reason not to rescue - you can get any age of dog and any temprament to fit in with your lifestyle
I have had three dogs from their breeders, more than 12 from rescue one way and another and two rescue pups---one of whom is Etta my recent springer pup.

If she hadn't turned up I was going to have a pup from a breeder of some kind next year, I don't want any more adult rescues unless they are very old------that is different.

I think everyone has to choose what suits them and their circumstances, no one should feel they have to forgo the joy of the pup they want to grow into the dog they want.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
excuse me, what was that in aid of?? what the hell did i say that deserved that response? please fill me in on this one...
From your response to Shona`s perfectly non confrontationaly question

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
hi Lozzi, did you look at a few breeders dogs before getting your rescues?
And your short hostile reply
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
nope, why?

I didnt consider a breeder, i never have
I may be wrong, but there seems to be a small undercurrent of "if you buy from a breeder, you are adding to the over population of dogs, from a few.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have had three dogs from their breeders, more than 12 from rescue one way and another and two rescue pups---one of whom is Etta my recent springer pup.

If she hadn't turned up I was going to have a pup from a breeder of some kind next year, I don't want any more adult rescues unless they are very old------that is different.

I think everyone has to choose what suits them and their circumstances, no one should feel they have to forgo the joy of the pup they want to grow into the dog they want.

rune

I agree, everyone to their own, rescue /breeders /pups adults, its all down to individual choice.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I have no fixed view on this, I don't have a definate yes or no to rescue or bred dogs, I have a stray who has gone from a dog I didn't know if he had any hope to one who is as loyal and touched my heart so much.
I also have a bred dog that is 7yrs old but acts like he is a pup as I think he hasn't seen hard times or mean owners and has an innocence that is beautiful and refreshing.
They both have values that are positive, I am a sucker for any dog, I never thought of owning little dogs until Scratch came along (and had only had larger breeds),so who knows what will be next?
As for people that buy from breeders I don't think it is wrong with that either, I would want one of each breed anyway , so I couldn't pick, they end up picking me.
Each to their own so no judgement here, just my personal choice.
Emma
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I would love to source a Rott from a top rate breeder or a GSD from a proven working line but, in all conscience, I know that I cannot. The homeless ones would haunt me.

That's a personal choice. I don't disapprove of or censure those who opt for a breeder-supplied route. On the contrary, the fact is that there isn't enough rescue dogs for everyone so unless we wanted to see dog-ownership shrink to a shadow of the current numbers (which I don't) then dogs must be bred and must be bought. I wish more people would consider a rescue dog but there is no fault or culpability on those who do not.

Because it seems there is an undertone from a few who seem to condemn the practice of buying a pedigree from a breeder.
Whereas the implication from some that rescues are less safe or reliable is too explicit to be called an undertone. As I have said - there is nothing wrong with going the breeder-supplied route but I do wish people wouldn't try to rationalise that choice with sweeping and inaccurate generalisations about 'broken' rescue dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I would love to source a Rott from a top rate breeder or a GSD from a proven working line but, in all conscience, I know that I cannot. The homeless ones would haunt me.

That's a personal choice. I don't disapprove of or censure those who opt for a breeder-supplied route. On the contrary, the fact is that there isn't enough rescue dogs for everyone so unless we wanted to see dog-ownership shrink to a shadow of the current numbers (which I don't) then dogs must be bred and must be bought. I wish more people would consider a rescue dog but there is no fault or culpability on those who do not.

Whereas the implication from some that rescues are less safe or reliable is too explicit to be called an undertone. As I have said - there is nothing wrong with going the breeder-supplied route but I do wish people wouldn't try to rationalise that choice with sweeping and inaccurate generalisations about 'broken' rescue dogs.
Did I do that
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by MissE
Rescue, every time.

Too many dogs are dying through no fault of their own.
I can't help them all, but I can make a big difference to one.
I firmly believe the "until there's none, rescue one"
The only problem with responsible breeders not breeding & everyone having rescues, is that the irresponsible breeders will continue to supply puppies & these will continue to end up in rescues, so there will never be a time when there are no dogs in rescue.

Look at it from a different position, make all breeders have to abide by similar rules to the KC's ABS(health tests etc)& the puppy farmers, BYB & pet breeders would not be able to breed & sell their wares because they would never be able to conform to the requirements. I meet so many pet breeders, who basically have no idea about health testing or responsible breeding & think because their dogs appear"healthy"then they are.

I've had rescues & after I retire I will then be able to be of more assistance to rescues than I am right now.

Will I have a rescue then ? Who knows, my next two dogs are already planned, but as has happened to me in the past, if there's a vacancy here a dog usually turns up to fill it
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Did I do that
No, you didn't.

But when you objected to the undertone that you perceived against breeder-supplied dogs I felt compelled to balance that by pointing out that there is often an expressed and unwarranted prejudice against rescue dogs. T'was counter-point to your point. Not a criticism or accusation.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
From your response to Shona`s perfectly non confrontationaly question

And your short hostile reply

I may be wrong, but there seems to be a small undercurrent of "if you buy from a breeder, you are adding to the over population of dogs, from a few.
ok, 1. how was that short and hostile?? i was just answered her question. and 2. you are just putting words in my mouth.

did you read my first post??
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »