Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 08:37 PM

Thin Coat/balding dog

Wasn't sure where to post this?!

Archie has a thin coat, particularly on his underside. He is chest and belly are very finely furred, you can see the pink skin underneath. His inner thighs of the back legs are bald as are a wide area of his armpits. I notice now that he has been gettingout for regular exercise that the front of his throat is balding where the lead rubs on him.

None of the skin looks sore, just bald. Is there a reason for this or are some dogs just like that?
I worry that the collar will eventually cause sores on his throat though, but if I get a harness it will rub on other vunerable areas as well. Any tips here for me?

I have ordered a coat for him that covers his underbelly, I do hope it will be here soon because he shivers like mad out on walks. Though this could be caused by excitement as well as cold.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 08:56 PM
My lemon and white pointer is like that, she has a much finer coat than the black and white one, it sometimes looks like she has bald points over her joints, under her arms etc., especially if she has been out in the wet.

I know with her it is definately just her coat, she shivers a lot, she lays right up against the radiator and, whilst the setters pop outside every so often to cool off, she doesn't budge.

She's fine outside if she's running about but, if she stops for a cuddle she will tremble.

I have a wax jacket for her with a fleecy lining, I got it for when we are standing around at shows etc., I've been tempted to get it out for her to play in but I know the setters will have it off her in a flash, little perishers.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2006, 09:01 PM
My parson had a really thick coat on top but pretty thin underneath too, but he wore a harness without any probs. It could well be excitement causing him to shiver too.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 09:02 PM
My Potter started losing her coat a bit and was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland. She is fine on replacement tablets though . She was a little bit constipated as well, but they were her only symptoms (not sluggish etc).
I dont want to alarm you, I just recognised the coat loss pattern.
She is fine.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. You are a helpful bunch.

Miss Potter. I don't believe it would be related to an underactive thyroid since he is quite underweight and lively, but as you say, your dog had no other symphtoms.

He is going to the vets in Jan for a general helath check, so will see what the vet thinks then. I just always find it useful to pick the brains of you all here first!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Evie I'm sure he is fine a lot of white dogs look like that, get him a supplement for his coat if he is'nt already on one cod liver oil for the winter and wheatgerm oil in the summer.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 07:12 PM
most white or partially white staffies are like this - and dont think its that uncommon for a jrt or parsons russell.

i have to watch with the harness rubbing on bruno though as he does sometimes look very pink underneath
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 07:39 PM
He is SOOO cold out on walks these days. The new coat I ordered for him STILL hasn't arrived, dispite being dispatched a week ago, first class post.... the joys of Xmas!

He has been going out in my kids old thermal vests god love him, with a reflective dog vest on over. Not terribly warm, but better than nothing.

I was thinking of gettinghim a harness like the top one on this page;
http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/aca...harnesses.html
And alternate between this and the collar for walks so he doesn't get sore with either rubbing on his bald bits.
I assume it would be ok to wear this harness over a coat?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 07:46 PM
my staffy x is like that,i have been pestering the vet about it for ages he assured me that he is in a1 health, my boy wears and equafleece tshirt for his contact allergies with a harness over the top of it if he is getting a check up in january i would ask the vet about it then
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 07:46 PM
My friends lurcher has recently been diagnosed with Cushings disease and he started off with bald patches that you describe, if you are concerned you could ask your vet to check him out.

Larry is now on medication and is responding well.