Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trgregt
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:51 AM

New User needs help

Hi,

I am new to this type of thing, never used one before but need a bit of help and advice with a very overbearing male german shepherd. He listens to everything I tell him to do, (sit down etc) when we go out on lead he is fine, when I take my other dog (collie x GSD) who is older and female, he plays up, he pulls, snarls at other dogs and generally is an out and out pain in the rear end. I don't know what else to do, I have bought halties, correction sprays, and even watched Ceaser Milan (I am desperate!!). Any Help is very welcome.

Thank you.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi, sorry I can't offer you any advice. I have 6 month old Labrador who is a bit hyper! Thankfully though he only wants to play.
This is a great site and I am sure you will gets lots of advice!
Word of warning "Cesar Millan" appears to be a SWEAR word on here! I have never even heard of him!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, I know what you mean. It`s the `We are a pack now, let us go and pull down wildebeest` syndrome.
The only solution I`ve found (and it does work) is loads and loads of training -singly and together. And if he really starts playing up, go home.
Have you read Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash. It is excellent at solutions to these sorts of ptoblems.
In the meantime, train loose-lead work with the pair of them as a separate excercise at least once a day. Change direction if either pull, and reward when they`re calm.
BTW are they neutered? If the bitch is coming in season that might explain a lot.

ps avoid the mexican! He is not helpful.
trgregt
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you both for replying, yes they have both been done, we have only had Duke (GSD) for 4 months, from a rescue centre and he is brilliant in every other way, so will continue with the training, we have probably been a little bit to easy with them, and thanks for the tip about the little mexican!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
If it's any consolation, my GSD would act up on walks with my other dog initially - so it was lots of solo walks for a while! Once he'd settled down into the family then his behaviour did calm down and now they walk fantastically together. I do think that walking two dogs can excerbate any issues in the single dog - Casper can be dog reactive and was certainly a lot worse when walking the two of them as it would set Kiki off (even though she was fine on her own), which made Casper worse Casper has improved a lot now and even if the two of them kick off, it's usually just a bit of whining rather than the whole barking/lunging/"we want to eat you" impression
So I would say stick to solo walks most of the time for now so the behaviour doesn't become learnt, but do practise short walks with them together as a training exercise, as suggested, and just perhaps let your new boy settle in (4 months may seem a long time to us but it can take a while for a dog to settle in) and work on his behaviour solo too, so he can hopefully remember and apply this training when out with your other dog. You'll get there!