Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 10:15 PM

Raw meat or cooked?

Hi,
I was talking to my walking pal tonight and she said that she had given her dog some raw mince with its evening meal. This was mostly due to the dog having lost her appetite and she wanted to try and temp it.
Can anyone tell me what the school of thought is on feeding raw meat.
Thanks
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
I'd never give my dogs raw meat as I always associate it it with worms...
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2005, 10:26 PM
There are quite a few people on here that feed raw. Im sure they will be able to answer your question

I sometimes give my 2 raw chicken mince and they love it
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
If you type 'Barf' or 'raw food' or 'raw meat' etc. into the DW Search facility which is at the top of the page, you will find several previous threads on this topic which contain the thoughts and opinions of those who do feed raw and those who don't
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
My Boys get raw mince from the butcher (Lobbans, Skjerstad, you know the place, I'm sure!) and they love it. Vet says it's good, too - and, after dinner, there isn't even a smell left. As pure, raw meat doesn't contain all the vitamins they need, I add a tablet of SA37 vitamin supplement (both Kirkwall vets can get it, it's about a tenner for 100 tabs) and it comes in powder form, too.

At one time, Snorri-dog had breath like a charnel-house: the stink was even coming out in his coat When he changed to the raw mince from the canned rubbish, the pong departed and has never reappeared.

I haven't got a leaning either way, really, but, from my experience with the above-mentioned stench, I'm happy to give raw minced meat.

Snorri

P.S. - at £1.87 a kilo, it doesn't break the bank, either
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 08:53 AM
I feed raw.

Luna has raw bones in the morning and raw meat in the evening. Today she's having minced pork.

She's thriving on it
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Hi,
I feed raw as well & wouldnt change back now
Amy had all sorts of niggly problems on tinned meat...bad breath & bum,flaky skin,dull coat etc.
Put her on raw with some biscuit mixed in & she is the total opposite now & doing really well She is heavier than she should be but its all muscle with her & i think its down to the food she gets given

Tonight she has got turkey thigh which is her favourie & she had sardines this morning.
She also gets given the price choice frozen meats on ocassion.

srah
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Teagan loves raw meat!
She gets it quite often
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't feed Barf or a homemade diet but I do sprinkle some of Tescos value mince on their kibbles, not only raw but frozen
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Im sorry but i cant stand the sight or smell of raw meat. I dont even buy whole chickens for ourselves. I just have to get breasts and quickly shove them in the oven. i
My dog Toby dosn't like tinned dog food, he likes the dry stuff. However when he goes to my firends house he will eat the tinned cat food given half a chance.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »