register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 15 of 29 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Why is racing worth the risk to a horses life?
Because there is something to be gained from it. The only thing that gains nothing from taking part is the horses themselves..Says it all doesnt it. Makes me sick!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh, that old gem again
Have we discussed this before then?

My dog needs to go out. He needs to get exercise and he needs to get stimulation. A horse doesnt need to race so IMO your point is irrelevant.
But does he "Need" to go to that park where he gets scared of being attacked and has bolted and could get killed? Thats a HUGE risk for a pet, yes? Or is it your choice because Jake is your dog? Do you think the risk is warranted because you choose not to walk him elsewhere? Race Horses are bred specifically to race, thats their job ad their owners choose what they can and cant do, just as you do. Would you want people judging you in the same manner? Would that be fair?

Also, I dont get your point about my dog being a pet and not bred and trained to race, whats the relevance? That the risk is ok for racehorses coz thats what they are bred for??..
.Yes the horse is bred to do a job, period.

Is the whole 'life always has risks' your only answer to why it is worth risking a horses life?
Thats ridiculous, the owners of the horses have every right to race their horses, its not your choice, however as I have said several times, if you really disagred with it, do something about it. I dont disagree with it, I love racing.

I dont get your point here either, again why does it matter if they are a pet?
Apparently it doesnt.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Guide and assistance dogs dont save lives Azz, I cant imagine why you would think that? They allow people more freedom and allow other people more time for themselves, nothing more. Some alert dogs may save lives I grant you, but even then they are an "extra" such people are rarely alone anyway.

Whichever way you look at it, they were bred to do a job, serve a purpose for humans, and many, will be got rid of, rehomed or whatever once their usefulness is over.

I dont think its a shame, I think you have every right to your opinion, Im cool with that.
You don't think blind people, or other disabled people wouldn't kill themselves, or get killed if it wasn't for the help and companionship of their 'service' dogs?

I think service dogs save lives in more ways than the obvious
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
You don't think blind people, or other disabled people wouldn't kill themselves, or get killed if it wasn't for the help and companionship of their 'service' dogs?

Aren't there dogs that are trained to recognise the onset of hypoglycemia in people with insulin-dependent diabetes?

And some that can be alert to the onset of a seizure and who can help to get the owner to a safe place for when the seizure starts?

Dogs for the hearing can alert an owner to a smoke alarm going off.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Aren't there dogs that are trained to recognise the onset of hypoglycemia in people with insulin-dependent diabetes?

And some that can be alert to the onset of a seizure and who can help to get the owner to a safe place for when the seizure starts?

Dogs for the hearing can alert an owner to a smoke alarm going off.
Yep very true LS
Pepp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty new here and don't want to get involved in this debate at all so I am not expressing which way I voted, but I would just like to say that as a horse owner I would never ever say that my horse was not as much of a pet as my dogs were. I spend a hell of a lot of time with my horse and would say that I am even more bonded to her than my dogs, so to say that the horse is not a pet is not true.

I know people who show/race and breed their horses and each and every one of them have a bond with their horses in the same way as people have with dogs/cats/rabbits etc. So to de-value their lives a little because they are not a 'house pet' is a little mean.

Anyways, I'm gona skiddadle now and go to my usual haunt-picture threads!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Pepp View Post
I'm pretty new here and don't want to get involved in this debate at all so I am not expressing which way I voted, but I would just like to say that as a horse owner I would never ever say that my horse was not as much of a pet as my dogs were. I spend a hell of a lot of time with my horse and would say that I am even more bonded to her than my dogs, so to say that the horse is not a pet is not true.

I know people who show/race and breed their horses and each and every one of them have a bond with their horses in the same way as people have with dogs/cats/rabbits etc. So to de-value their lives a little because they are not a 'house pet' is a little mean.

Anyways, I'm gona skiddadle now and go to my usual haunt-picture threads!
V well said, your horse is lucky to have such a great owner
I do think we often do horses a disservice as they are v smart and can be v bonded to their families
Pepp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I feel we have a strong bond, she recognises my car as I pull in and whinnies to me, she nuzzles me whilst I groom her and she grooms me back with her lips, she comes when called from the field- sometimes at a run! she is cheeky when she knows she can be, but works well for me as they are animals that do like to please their owner (plus she knows she may be in for a carrot if she's good!) I could spend my whole days down there if I didn't have other commitments too
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Have we discussed this before then?
It was an excuse given in defense of greyhound racing a good while back. I cant say 100% that you were involved in that, but im pretty sure you were.

But does he "Need" to go to that park where he gets scared of being attacked and has bolted and could get killed? Thats a HUGE risk for a pet, yes?
Oh, give me a break! You know so little about any of that! I didnt know he would bolt that day coz the dog wasnt there, just the owner! If I knew he would run then I would never have put him in that position! Sorry, I forgot my crystal ball that day! If I ever see that dog Jake is put straight on the lead and taken the opposite direction. I have few choices on where to walk him on a daily basis. And not that it is any of your business, but I rarely see that dog any more since I spoke with the owner and discussed when I should avoid the park. She takes her dog somewhere else most days anyway. Just to add, the risk to him running home is so small anyway but I still avoid that the most I can!

Or is it your choice because Jake is your dog? Do you think the risk is warranted because you choose not to walk him elsewhere?
I have always, and will always, make the safest decisions for Jake. Im not perfect and may sometimes make mistakes but I dont knowingly put Jake at risk. And, like ive said, I have little choice to where I can walk Jake.

Race Horses are bred specifically to race, thats their job ad their owners choose what they can and cant do, just as you do.
Just coz thats what they were bred to do doesnt make it right.

Would you want people judging you in the same manner? Would that be fair?
Yes, if I was knowingly putting a life in unnecessary risk.
Yes the horse is bred to do a job, period.
And it doesnt matter that the job is for sport?
Thats ridiculous, the owners of the horses have every right to race their horses, its not your choice, however as I have said several times, if you really disagred with it, do something about it. I dont disagree with it, I love racing.
How is it ridiculous? I asked a question, to which you dont seem to want to answer... And now seem to be avoiding...

Oh, and I never said it wasnt the owners choice or that it was mine
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Well did they before then? Sorry Im not aware of any massive drop in suicides from blind or disabled people due to the fact they have a dog Azz. Nor and decrease in numbers getting killed either, maybe I missed it?
Page 15 of 29 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »