Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
These days, e-collar trainers take it further than this. They don't actually wait for bad things to punish, they punish until the dog works out what the right thing at the time is. The shock is applied and held until the dog adopts the position the trainer wants. The dog has no idea what that is until it is pushed, pulled or simply works it out, then the punishment stops

Unforgivable, unnecessary and totally wrong!
This is my pet hate, it revolts me completely.

I loathe it.

Wys
x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ahh - so you analyze a situation based on life and death?

Do you think a well fed dog with a regular feeding routine sees withholding a treat as a threat?
A mild threat, certainly my money analogue is not life or death either.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL----I have known MANY resource guarders and none have reacted with aggression----maybe you come over to dogs as bit of a wimp and thats why you get that reaction. That is probably why you have to use the methods you use as well. Explains a lot.

rune
Then they must have been softer than the ones I have met, maybe despite my lack of experience (in your opinion) I have worked with harder dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpylK9US30

I believe Roca would aggress if you had food he wanted, from commentary.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
You just dont understand learning theory do you.
The dog associates returning to you as a fun rewarding thing in its own right, the recal becomes AS nice as eating or playing with the toy
anyway you are decribing having to wait for something as a bad thing - have you never had something to look forward to and the anticipation of it is enjoyable and actually makes the event better??

Course you can manage situations
As wilbar posts often, you can exercise your dog only in a safe managed place like your garden until their stress levels drop, and then you teach them a solid alternative behaviour before you ever have to be in the situation
You can muzzle your dog, you can pick your routes so you can always see far enough ahead

I love how you always use the 'this must be fixed right now or the dog must be put to sleep'
If an owner is unable to manage to snap on a lead around sheep, take different walks and do different things to physically and mentaly stimulate their dog, if they are so desperate for the quick fix and care about the dog so little that they will put him to sleep for something that is actually very simple to manage
Then that sounds like an owner who dosent really care all that much about their dog, I am sure most of us would take the small hassle to find a safe place to walk their dog rather than put them to sleep
Yes anticaption can be a good thing, but also a bad thing.

Fact is many people cannot apply the management criteria you suggest (and your only talking about out of the house issues!). Like I say just because you can do it doesn't mean they can.

What I suggest you do then is

Advise the owner to rehome the dog.

Go with them to the rescue centre were they are told there is no space.

Go with them to the vet and hold the dog while its euthanised.

This is the reality of management breakdown.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
This is my pet hate, it revolts me completely.

I loathe it.

Wys
x
But by withholding the treat you also punish the dog until it does what you want.

In many cases the dog is less bothered by the stim than lack of treat.

Adam
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
But by withholding the treat you also punish the dog until it does what you want.

Adam
You don't half come out with some BS lol
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
These days, e-collar trainers take it further than this. They don't actually wait for bad things to punish, they punish until the dog works out what the right thing at the time is. The shock is applied and held until the dog adopts the position the trainer wants. The dog has no idea what that is until it is pushed, pulled or simply works it out, then the punishment stops

Unforgivable, unnecessary and totally wrong!
I agree that is horrendous & it makes the trainer one of the worst forms of sadist I can imagine

And to think that some trainers use such harsh punishment to teach new behaviours is just beyond cruel! They're not even using punishment to stop an unwanted behaviour, but using it to teach a new behaviour ~ words fail me
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes anticaption can be a good thing, but also a bad thing.

Fact is many people cannot apply the management criteria you suggest (and your only talking about out of the house issues!). Like I say just because you can do it doesn't mean they can.

What I suggest you do then is

Advise the owner to rehome the dog.

Go with them to the rescue centre were they are told there is no space.

Go with them to the vet and hold the dog while its euthanised.

This is the reality of management breakdown.

Adam
1st off my problem with what you are saying it that you now say that pretty much everything you are thinking of training you are trying to find ways to use avesrsives to train - so you dont even try!
But how I see it as a pro dog trainer your dogs is to train and MOTIVATE the owner, adapt your methods and find a stratigey that IS managable for the owner
I think it is so funny/sad that you seem to assume that positive trainers are constantly advising people to rehome or put to sleep a difficult dog. Granted it is possible you have some poor trainers in your area - there are poor trainers everywhere - unfort this is because there is no regulation in the industry, but that is NOT how positive trainers work - if you spend a little more time looking round dogsey you will see how dedicated people are to helping dogs

Adam
Prove it please

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I agree that is horrendous & it makes the trainer one of the worst forms of sadist I can imagine

And to think that some trainers use such harsh punishment to teach new behaviours is just beyond cruel! They're not even using punishment to stop an unwanted behaviour, but using it to teach a new behaviour ~ words fail me
Interesting wilbar - I like lots and never though about how reinforcing positive training is but you are totaly right, I like that angle

and I remember the one time I properly lost it and yelled at Ben, he had picked up a book that was v important to me and was settling down to chew it. I was having a really bad day and not thinking properly so a roared 'NO!' and grabbed the book from him
It totaly worked, he has never tried to chew another book again

But the look in his eyes!! He wouldnt be in the same room as me for the best part of an hour
I was properly punished for my horrible behaviour
I make sure and pick up after myself better and I think before I react when dealing with my dogs
- thankfully Ben forgave me

Until recently I would have said people like Adam do not have the empathy to realise they are causing pain - but Adams post saying he didnt care about Jaccas mental state during training makes me think you are correct

Its kind of like the wife beater who tries to convince that it is for her own good
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Hey... isn't ole AP banned? Lol.

I want to clarify something that I don't think I tried to explain earlier about using a prong on Izze. I think I got all up in the heat of the disscussion & got too flustered to explain myself... which hapens a lot lol.

Yes I did use a prong on Izze & another dog I had, I will admit to that, but it was also before I knew better. Have I used one since I learned of better ways to teach a dog not to pull (as they are country dogs, so I don't nessessarily *need* a heel persay) if they start pulling on me I now stop & turn tell them 'easy' as many times as I need to & believe me it wasn't long before my pup, Jo got it! I just wish I knew of those methods when I had my other dogs but I make up for it by not putting any of my other dogs through that.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Hey... isn't ole AP banned? Lol.

I want to clarify something that I don't think I tried to explain earlier about using a prong on Izze. I think I got all up in the heat of the disscussion & got too flustered to explain myself... which hapens a lot lol.

Yes I did use a prong on Izze & another dog I had, I will admit to that, but it was also before I knew better. Have I used one since I learned of better ways to teach a dog not to pull (as they are country dogs, so I don't nessessarily *need* a heel persay) if they start pulling on me I now stop & turn tell them 'easy' as many times as I need to & believe me it wasn't long before my pup, Jo got it! I just wish I knew of those methods when I had my other dogs but I make up for it by not putting any of my other dogs through that.
That's good to hear

There are other ways to train a dog than harsh punishment & I think those that have used such methods (perhaps because they were advised to, or it was just the done "thing", or because they didn't know any different) but then decide that it's not for them because they can see the harm it does to their dogs, are to be heartily commended . Nobody wants to condemn these people (many of us have been there!) but it takes a truly good person to admit they are wrong & embrace kind, positive empathetic methods to train their dog. So well done to you!
Closed Thread
Page 61 of 71 « First < 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 > Last »