Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:38 PM
It has rather i'm afraid!

To answer the OP - No i didnt watch the programe but would be interested too. My thoughts on the Labradoodle and like are that they have a passionate following but have also been abused by those wanting to cash in which is a shame. I would genuinely like to know how many generations of them have been bred Doodle to doodle though.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I honestly cannot see how they are being brought on as a breed because most puppies for sale are labXpoodle so they are not being taken any further than the 1st cross.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
It has rather i'm afraid!

To answer the OP - No i didnt watch the programe but would be interested too. My thoughts on the Labradoodle and like are that they have a passionate following but have also been abused by those wanting to cash in which is a shame. I would genuinely like to know how many generations of them have been bred Doodle to doodle though.
I did not see it either, but share exactly the same thoughts as you on the subject. I am sure somebody posted a link to see the programe on here somewhere, I think I will search for it and have a look.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:58 PM
So this illustrates my point put 'Labradoodle' into google images and these are some of the 10 first results:

All very different dogs with different coats and structure so where is this cross going?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I would genuinely like to know how many generations of them have been bred Doodle to doodle though.
I believe it is F3 and they can go no further than that. Tbh i think if they try have a breed standard within these crossbreeds it will lead to many of the errors made in peds and history will repeat itself and well be in the same position until some form of legislation is brought in with regards to close relation breeding and not testing. I like them being F1 because i like the fact you get an individual random dog from two breeds i like certain aspects of. The good thing about the dogs is they are from to different gene pools so if they try standardise theyre going to ruin that. The problem with f2's are they are more likely to become one or the other due to the recessive gene rather than become more like the cross they are intended to be. Or so i have found.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Off topic posts removed.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd like to say well done mods, through this you have mantained your dignity when certain people have thrown hissy fits, you do a great job, and its because of you that this forum is as good as it is, there will always be fallouts on forums as there is everywhere in life, but you do a good job in cleaning up the mess that comes from certain things and help this online community run as it does, and I would like to thank and applaud you for your patience, I for one could not be so calm and patient on threads like this, as you have probaly seen but somehow you maintain your composure and do your best all the time, so thank you, and well done.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 06:19 PM
So this illustrates my point put 'Labradoodle' into google images and these are some of the 10 first results:

All very different dogs with different coats and structure so where is this cross going?
Definately a varied bunch aren't they.

Where is the cross going, in terms of development as a breed, in this country, nowhere fast I'd say. In other countries, I've got no idea, maybe somewhere there're people trying to develop the cross into a breed with the trates they're marcketed as possessing, poodle coat, lab temperament.

But then, when you consider the anti pure breed attitude you appear to get from those involved, it is no wonder they aren't being developed beyond f3.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I just love dogs! Whatever breed, size, colour etc I just love em!

I have collies now but before that had what we always called a 'mongrel' who was a mix of all sorts of who knows what and for me it was the not knowing what to expect that made things extra interesting! Having said that, I suppose there's an element of the unexpected with any dog.
I didn't see the programme but my general feeling (as someone who isn't really educated in the history of breeds or breeding) is that for some people designer breeds will represent something new and they want to be the people to have the new thing which is all good and well as long as they take an interest in the background of the breeds which have been crossed and do what they need to do to give the dog a good life. Maybe that's just naiive, but hey - I don't claim to be perfect!
I do feel at little sad at the use of the word 'mongrel' though. It's been used on this thread in a really insulting way, which I know is kind of what it was intended for, but we always called Suzi a mongrel and only ever meant it in a loving way. I guess the nicer term is a heinz 57, but we never really used that.
Suzi was my best friend for 17 years. She was definitely JRT, but there were another 3 or 4 options of what else might have been with it and she was the most beautiful girl.
I think cross breeds are great whether planned or not, as long as it's not encouraging poor health, but either way, we've made it so they need us so lets just give them lots of love!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Definately a varied bunch aren't they.

Where is the cross going, in terms of development as a breed, in this country, nowhere fast I'd say. In other countries, I've got no idea, maybe somewhere there're people trying to develop the cross into a breed with the trates they're marcketed as possessing, poodle coat, lab temperament.

But then, when you consider the anti pure breed attitude you appear to get from those involved, it is no wonder they aren't being developed beyond f3.
But i think thats the point. It doesnt need to specifically go anywhere. They are cross breeds. They are breed one ped to another as we all know. No-one seems to want to devlope it. I think thats the best thing for this type of dog because its trying to reach a standard which leads to culling and dumping of puppies and no one wants that. These crossbreeds are being sold as they are.

The problem is I have only seen good experiences from these dogs because the people I associate myself dog wise with are responsible owners and would only purchase ethically and have received everything they have wanted from the breeders and the pups they have brought up.

If people want a hypoallergenic dog by a ped that these crosses are being bred from is the easiest answer.

As has been repeated on various occasions there are no standard for these crossbreeds. Correct they're crossbreeds there will never be a standard for a crossbreed and i dont see them being developed into anything else. Majority are bred f1.

My mum wanted a cockapoos after seing my OH 3 cockapoos (all relatives of each other from different litters). The 3 in relation to each other are all very similair looking. Heres a pic. One is slightly more poodle looking, one slightly more cocker, one pretty much a complete mix of the two. Heres a pic of them. They have such fantastic natures and are very well trained.

My mum got her pup from another breeder. They fell in love with her as soon as they seen her after looking around for a very long time. As soon as I saw the pic of her said she is very very cocker and to be aware of this, she may not have much poodle. They didnt care they love her even though it was the curly coat that initally got them interested. They werent interested in a poodle. Heres a pic of her with her litter mates and how she looks now. Shes the one with the white muzzle propping herself up

And here she is now with my Totts.

As you can see she has more of a wavy coat. Fact is my parents dont care they knew she was a cross. I have said she may have a slightly more curly adult coat but they want to keep her puppy coat for as long as possible and fair play to them. Just shows to them it doesnt matter she wasnt exactly as they had seen in other cockapoo but they love her nonetheless and any good owner should be the same. So its educating people and weeding out the bad breeders.

But thats all based on purely my experience.
Page 43 of 53 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 > Last »