Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Hmm because you condone it, its ok....
I never said i condoned it, i said it was in their nature, at the end of the day they are dogs, they do catch things and when you have 5 living together they naturally become a pack, no way would they listen to me if they are hunting
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:57 AM
So in the last say 30 odd years your town has not expanded at all, your greenbelt is still the same? There has been no new developments - very rare in the UK
Pretty much yes. The green belt is still green belt, but the Fox situation since the ban particularly, and with fools that feed Foxes in towns (specifically) their numbers have rocketed. Awful nuisance.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
As someone who has lived in the countryside for most of their life, I am against fox hunting. I don't disagree that some people will feel that foxes need their levels to be controlled but I don't feel that hunting is the way to do it. I would rather it was shot, by someone who was experienced at shooting and killed cleanly and swiftly.

Growing up in the country I have seen the damage that foxes can do when one got into the farmer's barn next door and killed a couple of the lambs. I also have friends who have had chickens killed by foxes. We have been lucky with our chickens that we have never had one taken by a fox. I'm not going to say that it wouldn't happen, only that I have done everything in my power to stop it from happening. Incidentally I know of several chicken keepers who have also had chickens injured by stoats, birds of prey, cats, dogs and by people.

I cannot believe that in this day and age the concept of chasing a terrified animal to the point of exhaustion until it collapses and is ripped apart is considered acceptable.

I think it is highly unlikely that the ban will be overturned, I think the most recent poll suggested that 330 MPs would reject the ban being lifted compared to around 250 who wanted it lifted. I would also imagine that the government has slightly more pressing issues to deal with at the moment than bringing back hunting.

You can't even say that all farmers want hunting back. The farmers next door to us rent their land from the local council and hated the hunt going through, the damage that was done to crops and fences was considerable over the years. I am also rather appalled at our local hunts lack of respect to others. I have watched our local hunt gallop their horses up a busy main road hill with cars not knowing what to do with hounds and horses charging towards them. Very sad that the hunt would have such little care for their animals and motorists.

People comment on how cats and other small furries get caught up in the hunt and that was our concern the day the hounds got into our garden. The cats legged it, the hounds surrounded our rabbits in their run. The rabbits were used to our own dogs but not to the pack of hounds surrounding them. The hunt master was sat on his horse reassuring my mum that her cats would have come to no harm as his pack were so well trained. So I replied that if they were that well trained, he would have no difficulties in getting them out of our garden. So he sat there on his horse, blowing his trumpet and the hounds totally ignored him. He blew and blew until he was was as red as his coat but it took him an age to get them out and yes, I did congratulate him on just how well trained his pack were as they finally trampled over the flowerbeds and got out of our garden.

I also cannot understand why so many people need to be at a hunt, if a landowner has a problem with a particular fox, why do so many people need to follow and cheer when the fox is killed. As someone who has enjoyed riding, I can understand how enjoyable a sensation it is but why can this sensation not be satisfied by drag hunting? Which leads me to believe that some people must enjoy watching a fox being killed, and that I find very odd. And I am very disturbed at the concept of bloodying (I believe that this is the term ). I remember that a girl I was at school with was delighted when her younger sister ended up having her face wiped with the fox's blood at a hunt she had recently been to. Why on earth would you want to have a dead animal's blood smeared all over your face

I would agree with the pro-hunters that hunting wasn't just an activity for the wealthy but, if the ban is ever lifted, I think it will predominantly just be a past time of the wealthy. You only have to look at the equine charitys to see how many people are having to give up their horses because of the escalating costs of looking after them. I think that the majority of the UK public are anti foxhunting and if it does become mainly a pursuit of purely the wealthy, I think think even less people will tolerate it.

I can't remember at what point the issue of meat in a supermarket came in to the thread but I will answer that as a vegetarian I will only buy free range, organic meat for Max. I will only eat out in certain restaurants and avoid many takeaways because so many places will use eggs from battery hens in their egg fried rice, pastas and cakes etc. So I think very much about the food I buy and where it has come from, it is not just foxes welfare that I think about.

Just wanted to add to Steve's comment about what a friendly thread this has been. Yes, it is a very controversial subject but nice to see that everyone is keeping things friendly and civilised.
Very thought provoking post, well thought out and balanced and I even agree with some of it

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Having had time to read the last long post will try and do so later, I'm just having my morning cuppa before dog walking, but how can you come to this conclusion? It's better for you, but how would you know what the fox thinks, given the direct alternative of being trapped in a situation, or not being trapped, without giving the fox the gift of foresight and understanding, I'd imagine the fox would choose the least stressful situation.
I can't seem to find the start of the discussion of this (I have only had one cup of tea this morning and I need at least 2 to function!). I'm assuming it's talking about life trapping?

I would have said a fox would find being trapped, incredibly stressful. I sometimes watch these wildlife rescue programmes and feel incredibly sorry for these wild animals that are taken to be treated. The look of absolute terror in their eyes is heartbreaking. A fox is a wild animal and imagine values freedom more than anything and to be trapped and around humans must be the worst case scenario for them. These aren't our fluffy dog cousines, these are wild animals. They don't wish to be around humans (obviously talking about the countryside foxes, not those foxes that have chosen to live around humans and to be fed by them - totally different kettle of fish).

I've heard of cases, like Tarimoor, of foxes being "released" and having no idea what or where they are and actually invading another foxes territory, without the ability to actually know what to do. I find that pretty disgusting and no help to a fox whatsoever.

Helen
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Are they a problem for YOU personally? I'm not talking about other people. How do they affect you?

I have either seen or heard of dogs killing chickens, lambs, sheep, deer, cats, other dogs and of course, people. I, like many other people, have seen first hand what dogs are capable of. I wonder how many foxes are responsible for killing those things in comparison to dogs?
its not a problem for me now, as i do not have chickens or lambs. when i did they were a problem. although the house a few doors down has had his chickens taken numerous times, and he has a 7 foot fence, also dug into the ground, and electric round it.. so i imagine if i still had chickens it would be a problem.

can say where i live no ones dog has killed chickens, cats, deer or lambs.. its a small village, so if something did happen, we would know straight away (gossip travels fast here, no matter what it is )
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 09:14 AM
the farm i lived in had chickens taken by foxes

we erected high fence with overhang wire and brick made chicken coop.

never happened again
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:15 AM
So in the last say 30 odd years your town has not expanded at all, your greenbelt is still the same? There has been no new developments - very rare in the UK
ours hasnt.. we have extremely strict planning permission where we live..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:22 AM
What have rats got to do with fox hunting
i mentioned rats because of the dog link. if people would rather a fox be shot than got with hounds, then what about rats, posion or terriers getting them? same issue.

I find your (?) humour about foxes which are a living breathing warm blooded animal being killed, quite upsetting.
sorry maybe i used the wrong smiley. i do not find hunting funny in anyway.. i meant with that bit what if the hounds were used, without people on horseback, and the hounds flushed the fox out of cover and it was shot?

Better for the fox than being torn apart by a pack of bloodlusty hounds with equally bloodlusty people enjoying the spectacle
again, if you havent seen it then you dont know... the foxes do not get torn apart, at least not alive.. its always a quick kill be it with either a gun, or the lead dog biting and snapping the neck, just like a dog killing a rabbit.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I can't remember at what point the issue of meat in a supermarket came in to the thread but I will answer that as a vegetarian I will only buy free range, organic meat for Max. I will only eat out in certain restaurants and avoid many takeaways because so many places will use eggs from battery hens in their egg fried rice, pastas and cakes etc. So I think very much about the food I buy and where it has come from, it is not just foxes welfare that I think about.

Just wanted to add to Steve's comment about what a friendly thread this has been. Yes, it is a very controversial subject but nice to see that everyone is keeping things friendly and civilised.
I made the point that people have what I refer to as 'supermarket ethics', ie they like to think they don't condone cruelty, and it's easy to look at fox hunting and say it's cruel and should be banned, and meanwhile do nothing else within your own lifestyle that would affect you personally but feel very good about some of your values, there are (unfortunately) plenty of folk that do. I've been indiscussion on other forums where people are vehemently against fox hunting, and yet too poor to afford anything except two for a fiver chickens and battery farmed hens eggs. For me, it's a lifestyle choice, and I personally find it very hypocritical for someone to spout against what they perceive as cruelty on the one hand, and yet still be happy to support other forms of cruelty so as not to impact on their lifestyle. I hope that makes sense?

Vegetarianism is a difficult one, I'm aware, as I'm sure many vegetarians are, that much of the produce is imported, and that it's difficult to eat just seasonal produce and not support poor farming practices, including soya production which has seen great areas of rain forest in Southern America disappear. In a way, although indirectly, many vegetarians support animal cruelty, and many are happy to do so without actually knowing, or researching, because ignorance is bliss.

As I said previously on this thread, and have done on others, I'm not particularly pro hunting, nor am I really against it, I think there are more important issues to worry about in life, more difficult problems to solve. What I do hate is the humanisation people put to hunting, and hunting with dogs. Animals live every day with the threat of death hanging over them, foxes didn't all suddenly start trotting around knowing that they weren't hunted, and they still live with that predator/prey survival instinct, although I will add the proviso that urban foxes seem to be evolving into a different creature from rural foxes, much bolder, larger and unfortunately I fear more disease ridden from the sheer numbers of them now.

Unfortunately, the side effect of the hunting ban has been a number of law suits taken to the courts, nothing to do with fox hunting, but other pursuits involving hunting with dogs, such as ratting, rabbiting etc. I've even seen instances where people training their dogs for shooting, have been threatened with calling the police as it's an illegal activity (apparently). The law as it stands seems to be unworkable, and for that reason, I hope it's repealed.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 12:08 PM
There are some fab posts on this thread from both sides.
Page 25 of 27 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 >