Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 10:51 AM

When is this chewing going to stop...rant on the way

Oh guys I am so fed up today! Just when I thought it was all settling down (on the chewing front). Ben has done it again BIG style...
As some of you know I have a disabled son right? Well Carl was in his wheelchair this morning waiting for his bus to arrive to take him to his day centre. I went into the bathroom I was in their maybe ten mins. When I came out I noticed all this black rubbery stuff on the floor. "What the hell is all this" I thought. Took me ages to work it out peeps. Ben had only chewed the arm off the wheelchar! And not only that he had had a go of Carl's T Shirt too.
Carl cannot talk or communicate in any way.
Well you can imagine the language
I came so close to smacking him I can tell you, but I didn't I counted to ten and I did shout at him, he scurried into his bed. "Oh well what can I do?" I thought.
Cleaned the mess. sprayed everything that Ben usually chews and tootled off to the shops. Was gone about 3/4 hour and he had found a usb wire and chewed it to bits. Luckily it was not connected to anything. We make sure that all chewables are out of his reach. Also I had left some dirty washing in front of the machine waiting fro the first load to finish and that had been pulled all over the dining room, my jeans have been chewed along with a brand new T shirt.
Honest peeps I am so fed up I tell you if I had had the car he would have been back at Cheshire Dog's home.
What the hell am I doing wrong? he gets loads of walks, play and stuff. All his toys are wrecked. I came in from the shops with toys that I knew he would chew but thought "Hey ho, at least he will leave my furniture alone" they lasted all of 3 mins.
Rant over...... still fed up though I cried buckets before coming on here I am so fed up and desperate now.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Have you tried using a puppy pen or crate training?
My gundog x used to pick on one thing and chew it while I was out - it used to drive me nuts. The only thing she can;t destroy are the XL black kongs - everything else will be gone in fairly short order....
Having gone through countless CD's, 3 seat belts in the back of a 3 month old car (that one hurt!) one dining room chair, (that was a gradual one - I didn't notice till it was too late!) I ended up crate training her - and when I wasn;t with her she either had a stuffed kong (all her meals came this way) or she was shut in the crate.

How old is he?

I'm so sorry this has happened and I can relate to how frustrated you are.

Take care
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Hun..............chin up love.

Does he have '''HUGE'' hide chews, I buy 6 to 8 a time......Bruce spends hours on one of them. I am so convinced that is why he doesn't chew.If he doesn't get him some.........keeps Bruce happy
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 11:07 AM
So sorry you are feeling down

I know what its like having a chewer, my girl does it all the time (not so bad now tho) but even after going for a walk and being worn out she will still chew!

Well done for controling your temper.

I would use a crate if i were you.

((hugs))
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Have you tried using a puppy pen or crate training?
My gundog x used to pick on one thing and chew it while I was out - it used to drive me nuts. The only thing she can;t destroy are the XL black kongs - everything else will be gone in fairly short order....
Having gone through countless CD's, 3 seat belts in the back of a 3 month old car (that one hurt!) one dining room chair, (that was a gradual one - I didn't notice till it was too late!) I ended up crate training her - and when I wasn;t with her she either had a stuffed kong (all her meals came this way) or she was shut in the crate.

Tried the crate Tassle but he gets demented and I don't want to force him. He just sits and bark bark bark bark...you get the picture

How old is he?

I'm so sorry this has happened and I can relate to how frustrated you are.

Take care
coming up to 1 year

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hi Hun..............chin up love.

Does he have '''HUGE'' hide chews, I buy 6 to 8 a time......Bruce spends hours on one of them. I am so convinced that is why he doesn't chew.If he doesn't get him some.........keeps Bruce happy
Yea Youngstevie he has them but I don't want to give him too many he would go through 5 in one day!

Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
So sorry you are feeling down

I know what its like having a chewer, my girl does it all the time (not so bad now tho) but even after going for a walk and being worn out she will still chew!

Well done for controling your temper.

I would use a crate if i were you.

((hugs))
Thanks hunneysmummy it just helps hearing that other peeps have similar problems. I have tried the crate but he goes ballistic!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Can you dog proof one room, we had a wall chewer in the end we ceramic tiled the hall way and when we had to go out left her in there with just things we gave her to chew. It worked really well and after only 3 months she again had the run of the flat because we had broken the habit.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Can you dog proof one room, we had a wall chewer in the end we ceramic tiled the hall way and when we had to go out left her in there with just things we gave her to chew. It worked really well and after only 3 months she again had the run of the flat because we had broken the habit.
good point Julie. Our hall is tiled (Has a radiator cover though) Did i mention that he chewed the radiator cabinet in the dining room right through the lattice work too
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 12:56 PM
So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at the moment A chewing dog can really get you down.

Have you tried leaving Ben in one room with a really large raw, meaty bone to keep him occupied while you are out?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at the moment A chewing dog can really get you down.

Have you tried leaving Ben in one room with a really large raw, meaty bone to keep him occupied while you are out?

Thanks for that Moobli but I am a bit squeemish when it comes to raw I'm afraid Will leave him with his Kong stuffed with goodies next time. He's been fine for weeks and weeks, then out of the blue...all this...you know? Oh well back to the drawing board
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I sympathise, Amy is a big time chewer, i know she is only a pup but D was never like it so i'm not used to it, shoes, slippers and socks seem to be a favourite, she has also chewed and destroyed one duvet, 3 tennis balls, a tv remote, a door frame, a curtain, dish cloths, a mop, a bean bag and she LOVES ripping toilet rolls to shreds (as do the youngest cats) to name but a few and shes only been here 4 weeks

She is confined to the hallway when no-one is home and is fine, its when she has access to the rest of the house she starts looking for things she can demolish!!

She has a million and one chews and toys but still seems to prefer the things shes not supposed to have

Dont ya just love em!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >