Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
As you say you didn't even have time to shout, did you just go to grab the meat back? Fairly natural instinct, and for him a fairly natural instinct would be to defend his prize.
I would actually forget about what happened re him biting and just move on.
start practising his leave it command, using high value treats, or if he's that greedy move up to high value treats once he is reliable with lower value treats. Once he has a reliable leave it command, try to remember to use it before your hand moves forward to recover whatever he's nicked.
Once he's perfected it, repeat it often and at random times.
Go clean up your hand, you may need antibiotics, and make up with him, he doesn't know what he's done wrong.
good advice given here..

the main thing is.. you know he has an issue and now you can deal with it.. good luck. Im sure you will have it sorted out in no time
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:43 AM
I think a lot of us - at least on here - are very gentle people, but when something or someone hurts us, we can lash out in reflex...

When I was young I married a man I knew would never hit me... I pushed my luck, hit him across the face one day, and he hit me straight back... lol.. He didn't even realise he'd done it till afterwards... lol
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by kingbenny View Post
Thanks guys, some good advice there.

Boomer is back to his normal self already and i've made it obvious we are ok. I think this was a rare event for him and I'll just be a little more careful with food etc. i'll get the hand looked at by a nurse friend tonight just to be safe!

Boomer liked to test the boundries alot when I first got him and had some aggression in him so i guess this is something I need to remember a little more, its hard when he is normally such a angel though!

As i'm typing this he's now pushing me for a hug so I guess he really has forgotten about the smack as well!!!
Hi kingbenny

I certainly don't think you should beat yourself up over smacking Boomer. You said in your post you had to hit him twice before he let go of your hand, which has been injured as a result. I expect most people who found their hand clamped into a set of very powerful jaws would have reacted in exactly the same way; it's instinctive self defence and it doesn't mean you are cruel or harsh in your approach to your dog.

You have had some very helpful advice about the way forward. Good luck and please don't feel you have done anything wrong.

Best wishes

Maxine
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Its lovely to know Boomers future is looking good, having a owner that's putting 100% effort into helping him.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2