Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Jumping up!!!

Our boy will be one in July-he's really good in most areas but something I need to crack is jumping up at people. 98% of the time its when someone comes in the house or he first gets to meet them and to a lesser extent when we meet strangers one a walk-this is my biggest worry as summer s approaching and our fav walk on the beach is getting busier with people wearing shirts!!

I attend puppy class and their advice is to ignore him when he jumps up and turn away-which seems to work with me but no one else!! Also people we meet on walks always reward this behaviour with a stroke and they're only being kind so I feel rude asking them to stop.

How on earth do u get all our dogs to stop?? And how long did it take???? I can't imagine what would appen if a big go jumped up!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately as your dog is being intermittently reinforced for inappropriate behaviour by others (because you let them) this behaviour will get stronger.

If you do not want your dog to jump up, prevent him from doing so by blocking access to him.

If he is fed dried food, keep a pot of some near the door and when you have visitors throw some on the ground, a dog cannot be eating stuff off the floor AND jumping!

Then teach a go to your bed command again by throwing food on the bed when visitors come so he goes there as soon as he hears the doorbell.