Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
em.jo.casp
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Tips on how to make casper to pee n poo on the paper

Hi jo here my ten week old puppie will not wee or poo on paper he cant go out till after his nxt injection so trying to make him go on the paper.....he wees every were sofa his bed and every were but the paper! I tell him off wen he does it and show him the paper but no luck he nos im mad with him but just doesnt get it.....any ideas?
missismop
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:29 PM
i paper trained 4 puppys and ,how i did it was every time they look like they want a wee or a poo put them on the paper and in a week or so they get it that is where they should do it untill its time to go outside,,,, good luck with it

hope it helps
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Do you not have a garden as puppies may go out in your garden before they have their jabs............
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Firstly stop telling him off when he does it in the wrong place, it is your fault not his! Stop allowing him access to areas you don't want him to wee in.

I have an 11 week old puppy at the minute and he isn't allowed out of the kitchen until he has been to the toilet, that way I am not allowing him into the house with a full bladder/bowel so there are less chances of any accidents.

You need to ignore him evrytime he goes in the wrong place, take him to where you want him to go and give enormous amounts of praise, along with a command word, everytime he goes in the right place.

He is still very young and will not have any real control over when and where he goes, it is up to you to be alert and watch for the signs.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Dogs won't know what they've done wrong they just sense that your in a bad mood.

The trick with paper training is having the place (kitchen) littered with it to begin with - then slowly removing it so you end up with one sheet near the back door - this takes weeks though. Crate training is much more simpler and easier IMO

Why can your pup not go out until his second injection?
Louie was going out on our garden from the day we got him at 8 weeks. (house trained at 12 weeks)

I'm a little puzzled? Did I do something wrong?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:16 PM
If you have a garden he can be taken out every hour, you will need to stay there though as he will not realise why he is out if you shut the door and he is left alone.
Much praise in an exciteable voice is always a winner....Oh good Boy, what a clever boy etc etc.,
Whenever he wakes take him out straight away as puppies often need a wee,poo as soon as they wake.

If you have no garden then he needs to be taken to the paper/puppy training pads exactly the same as the routine as the garden.
However training him on pad/paper will only make it harder when you do want him to go out.
If you stop allowing him in the rooms that you don't wished soiled, or on the chairs/sofa then he can not do it there.

At 10 weeks he really hasn't a clue what your on about, so telling him off means nothing other than as he gets used to his surrounding you may make him get into the habit that poo/wee's means punishment (ie you telling him off makes him feel its wrong) and this will only prolong his training.

Best soloution is the above rountine when accidents happen....stay calm and ignore, clean with bio washing power and take puppy outside with a learning command of...Be clean / wee wee......or whatever command you want to use. as puppy gets used to this and follows your command...lots of praise.
I have a pup here and with the above set in she is now asking to go out/follows the others out.
It will come in time, some take longer than others, but patience and structure will be required
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I used the above routine and my girl was trained at 12 weeks more or less. Also, learn to watch for when your pup 'needs', sniffing the ground, circling etc. Also straight after a play session etc. Just be vigilant, patient and don't get mad!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 07:22 PM
hi

do you not have a garden? i have never seen the point of paper training
em.jo.casp
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:34 PM
We dont have a garden otherwise we would have him out there all the time!!!!! the vet said we cannot take him on a walk until two weeks after his second injection but friends have said he will be fine after a few days but its just until then as soon as he is about to do a wee or a poo i lift him on the paper and he runs off terrified hes done it on the paper a couple of times he got massive amounts of praise and lots of doggy treats but then after he did his wee on the paper he did a poo at the other side of the room. Different people have told us different things one was if he has an accident with a firm voice tell him no and put him on the paper that hasnt worked were thinking of just giving up until we can get him out on walks!!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by em.jo.casp View Post
We dont have a garden otherwise we would have him out there all the time!!!!! the vet said we cannot take him on a walk until two weeks after his second injection but friends have said he will be fine after a few days but its just until then as soon as he is about to do a wee or a poo i lift him on the paper and he runs off terrified hes done it on the paper a couple of times he got massive amounts of praise and lots of doggy treats but then after he did his wee on the paper he did a poo at the other side of the room. Different people have told us different things one was if he has an accident with a firm voice tell him no and put him on the paper that hasnt worked were thinking of just giving up until we can get him out on walks!!
Hi, and welcome to the world of puppyhood!

In the coming weeks you will have to commit yourself to watching your pup like a hawk as previous posters have said. The more consistent work you put in now the easier it will be in the long run. My second dog was not reliable until he was 10 months old and your puppy will have the attention and memory span of a gnat so it's too early to expect miracles at this point.

TBH you are already at a disadvantage not having a garden. Are you planning on having a permanently designated area in your flat for him to use in case he needs to go urgently due to illness or otherwise?

If he is scared of being put on the paper (the handling of him may make him forget what he's there for) how about a soft collar and lead or harness to keep him there without the distraction of being touched.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >