Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Computer help please.

Can anyone help?

Yesterday I had a new base unit, everything was installed etc.. no problem and it connected to the internet first time. Today the phone doesnt work when the phone wire is plugged into the back of the computer, take it out and the phone works. If people ring in they get an engaged tone, its like its on dial up? and its broadband.

ALL wires/connections work individually, its only when the phone cable is put into the computer, whether connected or not does the phone stop working.

I have plugged my old computer back in, its untouched in every way since I was using it, and it does exactly the same thing on that one.
Any clues?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2007, 07:40 PM
it could possible its a faulty micro filter, try and use a diff one if you have one
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Have you got a filter on that line?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes got a filter, and have a new spare, tried that too. I cant understand what it is, NOTHING has been touched in the other room, just the cables from one comuter put into the back of the new one. and that one is the same.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 08:27 PM
My 1st answer wud have been a bad M/Filter, failing that, just check that your connections are all correct, ie. Rj11 to the phone and RJ45 to the PC (unless your using a modem then make sure its RJ11). Im not very good on DSL/ADSL just know my cable lol but i can try. Are you using Ethernet? If so, make sure your Network card (NIC) is installed correctly, and that windows is detecting it. Can you actually get on the net at all? Phone or not? has your ISP subscribed you to the service? If all else fails, contact your ISP and ask the tech dept. (not that they're usually very good!)

Sorry the answer is a little sketchy but im struggling for ideas without further info

Erin x
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Just thought of something else.....are you using 2 different phone lines, meaning 1 for the phone and seperate (hole in the wall) for the Net? If so, are both using M/Filters? maybe worth trying both from the same line.

Erin
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Erin, my bro in law and boss seem to think its the connections too, not the computer. The phone may of not been working before I had the new comp, but didnt realise cos people who ring and get engaged just ring the mobile instead!

I have made doubly sure about all the connections etc.., I guess Ill wait untill my bro in law has a look at it.

Thanks for your help.
Dawn
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 07:48 AM
If it's not your micro filters then it's your phone line thats at fault somewhere.

You need to get BT out to fix it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Leo, BT tested the line and they said it was ok. I am going to replace all the cables today, then if it still doesnt work, Im going to do as you say and get BT out.
Thanks again.
Dawn.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Dawn...have you plugged in the phone line wire because all you need to plug in is the broadband one that goes from your BB modem.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >