View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 06:03 PM
On pulling dogs, choke chains do NOT work. I know from experience. I was given one as a child to walk a pulling dog and all it did was turn his tongue blue. He'd PULL and PULL until he was heaving and his tongue turned blue. He'd slow down just a tad to cough a bit, and then pick right back up.

After a while, I gave up on it and it became just a necklace. Eventually, it fell off one day never to be seen again. It only strangled him, and it barely slowed him down. A harness worked a ton better and as I got older, I was able to actually train him.

Now, now... they should not be getting stuck, as there is a mechanism to it and it shouldn't be hard to take it off... so not sure what these stupid people were doing.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
So glad your hubby was there. When I first had to train a dog I was given a choke collar to do it with. As soon as it tightened on the dogs neck and he choked I took it off and that is my entire experience with chokes. I've always done very well with a plain, old leather collar.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
...[snip]...Now, now... they should not be getting stuck, as there is a mechanism to it and it shouldn't be hard to take it off... so not sure what these stupid people were doing.
If a choke chain is put on the wrong way, ie where the ring the leash is clipped is on the end of the chain under the dog's head instead of over it, it will not release when pulled but will just get tighter and tighter until the leash is dropped. And if it has been put on the wrong way, the more the leash is pulled the tighter the chain will become.

We used one on our Battersea rescue because that was what they sold Mother, together with a regular collar for a tag and a leash. And Barbara Woodhouse was in fashion at the time. But even she demonstrated the correct way to put one on a dog.

At the time we knew no better. But that was way back in about 1954 and knowledge has gone a long way since then.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Of course, Malka. Going back to my comment about the stupidity of the people. If you're going to use a product, how about reading the instructions and not screwing it up? I've used them and they never got stuck or were hard to get off, it's really very easy, so only someone who really is missing a bullet or two could mess it up.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2015, 09:35 PM
there are many different collars to be use, in the kennels we always used a chain/ half choke collars as the dog could not back out of it and never once have I chocked a dog, my own two dogs use half choke collars and again never had a problem.
ATD x
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Prong collars are as bad as electric collars. Why inflict pain when there are other ways to train.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Brenda, the people that often use these collars say that the collars do not truly "hurt" the dogs but cause mild discomfort that is useful for helping to "guide" the dog in the right direction.

Getting punched in the face by a weight lifter would HURT, getting pinched by a 5 year old would be mild discomfort, that kind of thing. Not the same in their eyes. Not exactly the same in mine either, but I'd never use a prong.

Prong collars are SCARY looking devices, I see them being used on pit bulls all the time here. Admittedly, the dogs often don't seem hurt by them, but then that is because they know better than to pull against them, because THAT will hurt.

Also, they cost too much... lol
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Have you ever seen what these collars do to the poor dog that is wearing it? They should be banned the same as choke chains and any other equipment that causes pain. I will say no more on this subject.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Well, I have seen dogs necks full of holes. This story speaks of a dog that was almost strangled to death by a choker. I've seen dogs shocked with e-collars with burn marks. I'm not sure how an owner could be stupid enough to let that happen.

I don't like the devices, and I'd never use the devices... but I stand firm on one thing. There are too many dogs dying in shelters. If some of those devices, used properly (when used properly, they do not cause serious injury) can keep a dog in a home where he can at least have a family and a chance at life, I'm not going to go saying they should all be banned.

Not all owners of these devices are bad people or people who don't love their dogs. just they aren't exactly sure how to train their dogs. Many dogs are dumped, starved, or beaten for not behaving properly. I've seen it. Honestly, a man kicked his pit bull dog in the middle of the back after snatching him back for pulling.

If I thought a prong collar could save the dog from that (keep him from pulling to begin with), I'd BUY him one! Pit bulls are put down left and right and mistreated left and right. Taking the dog from him isn't going to do any good. He'll just end up in another place like that or dead. That just isn't the recipe, there isn't enough space to allow for only positive based dog owners and trainers. So many dogs would die uselessly if that was the only way things were done.

As much as people will argue that these people simply shouldn't be dog owners, that isn't saving the lives of dogs. Implying or assuming that all people who use these don't care about their dogs (not saying you did this, making a general statement) isn't the way to go. It's not true and many people just don't know what else to do and don't want to give up their dogs.

I've seen dogs indoors, fed super expensive foods, allowed to sleep with his owner, and treated in a beautiful way at home, and then a prong is popped on when they go for a walk. I mean... it's whatever. If THAT collar might be keeping the dog in that home, I'm all for it.

I think people should research other ways, but again... that is not saving the lives of dogs. We need to be practical sometimes, and quit thinking with our hearts. Sometimes, looking at the big picture can open our eyes.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Id say our unfortunate individual had the chain on backwards, if you do that it will jam once it gets pulled past a certain point.
Pinch collars eh? You can certainly hear the banjo music playing whenever that subject rears its head, frankly its far safer than using a choker (which also solves nothing) and arguably safer than allowing dog to pull into a flat collar unmitigated. Frankly if you crank the leash like you're trying to start a bloody lawnmower you're going to hurt the majority of dogs no matter what they have on.
As for dogs with embedded pinch collars I can guarantee one common denominator, cheapo machine-finished products in the hands of a novice.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >