Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Netbooks

Could someone tell what is the difference between a netbook and a laptop?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Basically, it's just a lot smaller, but ours seems to be able to do just about everything the lappy used to do, including pics.

I did a lot of research on these when I bought ours, and if you are a proper "typist" I strongly suggest you get the Samsung NC10 (or the newer equivalent nowadays coz ours is 18 months old now). Back then, it was rated THE best by a load of reporters who had them for a week, especially the fact that the keyboard is as good as a desktop model, so that can't be bad, and I have to agree with them.

Ours has never put a foot wrong, Dave is on it every night and he's not very puter savvy and he doesn't clean up either, and yet it's never had a blip (that's coz I take charge of it once a week though )

I would highly recommend them, especially this one!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you .......Do they have a cd drive?

And can i connect a external hard drive to it?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Netbooks tend to be just that..for the 'net. They'll run some basic software like a word processor and some other bits but they're not designed for intensive software like graphics editing programs, gaming, etc.
Most won't have a CD drive but will have at least one USB port so you can attach an external harddrive or use USB memory sticks.
My mum's netbook is OK for browsing forums and MSN messenger but it's not very fast and I soon got frustrated just using it for an hour or so, I don't think they're the kind of thing for me, but for someone just surfing the internet they may suit fine.
I'd say go into a computer shop and ask for help picking a laptop/netbook to suit your needs. If the computer shop is a bit pricy then there's always the option to shop online once you know some brands/models to look for.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I use one and find it great, but thanks to hubby I can hook to our network and get anything I need off it. I have an Acer running Win7 and it does pretty much anything I need it to.

Sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, the battery life isn't great on mine and it can run a wee bit slow, but as a rule I like it. I use it for my assignments for Open Uni, and for prepping lesson plans for cadets...never have an issue with it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Basically, it's just a lot smaller, but ours seems to be able to do just about everything the lappy used to do, including pics.

I did a lot of research on these when I bought ours, and if you are a proper "typist" I strongly suggest you get the Samsung NC10 (or the newer equivalent nowadays coz ours is 18 months old now). Back then, it was rated THE best by a load of reporters who had them for a week, especially the fact that the keyboard is as good as a desktop model, so that can't be bad, and I have to agree with them.

Ours has never put a foot wrong, Dave is on it every night and he's not very puter savvy and he doesn't clean up either, and yet it's never had a blip (that's coz I take charge of it once a week though )

I would highly recommend them, especially this one!
What do you mean: "clean up"? Do you mean literally, with the hoover (I bet that's it, knowing you!) or do you mean cleaning up files, etc.?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Lol Lucky, I mean it's very slow whenever I get hold of it, so I always delete the internet files and then do a disc clean up and it's fast again. I would say though, that it runs so much better when it's plugged in, rather than the way I have it on the battery sometimes, not all the time, sometimes it's just as fast, but I suppose that all depends on whether the battery is charged up or not. We always leave it plugged in, Dave uses it plugged in all the time too.

We've got an external disc drive, which works a treat, and I have to say, with ours, our nephew came up and loaded hundreds of pics onto it to show us his trip to Poland, and it didn't cause it any problems. Hubby has also installed Word on it, and again, it runs brilliantly. So personally, I don't think they are just for browsing the net, they have 101 uses except gaming, but if you're a big gamer, then you wouldn't be on a netbook anyways would you!

I should imagine you can connect anything you want to it via the usb quite honestly, although we haven't with ours.

The price for the NC10 is around £270 atm.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies I am still thinking.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Netbooks do tend to be not very powerful. Having said that, a typical netbook would probably run blazingly fast with something like Jolicloud installed!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I just bought FABULOUS Compaq laptops with 15.1" screens for less than a net book!!
£299 from Comet..

I did consider netbooks as its for the kids xmas but faced with a full sized laptop at less cost its a nobrainer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >