Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2016, 03:16 PM

Fireworks

It's the season.
Here, in the UK, some will be let off on Halloween. But the biggie will be 5th November, bonfire night to commemorate the Guy Fawkes gunpowder plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Why this in a dog forum? Well, not many things spook my dog, Max. When he hears fireworks he will usually take refuge under my desk. He just lies down without any fuss. But I can't take him out at such times. Can't? Well, he'd probably go on the lead but I'm disinclined to subject him to that distress.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Depends where you live, here it carries on for months, started a few weeks back. Bonfire night will be like WW3 it always is. Luckily my dogs don't object, the worst that happens is a bark fest.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm very fortunate with my two as they couldn't care less, not that they celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in Hungary, but we do have fireworks on New Years Eve! I think they're so accustomed to hearing gun shots in the night from the hunters in the nearby woods they probably think that fireworks are gun shots.

One of my dogs like to sit outside and watch the thunder and lightening, and refuses to come indoors until it starts to rain!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I'm very fortunate with my two as they couldn't care less, not that they celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in Hungary, but we do have fireworks on New Years Eve! I think they're so accustomed to hearing gun shots in the night from the hunters in the nearby woods they probably think that fireworks are gun shots.

One of my dogs like to sit outside and watch the thunder and lightening, and refuses to come indoors until it starts to rain!
Not sure hiw Max would react to gun shots. Guns are not altogether common here especially in urban areas.

The rain is another matter. I think ours doesn't much like it either but we walk anyway. He has a raincoat so he doesn't get too soggy.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Depends where you live, here it carries on for months, started a few weeks back. Bonfire night will be like WW3 it always is. Luckily my dogs don't object, the worst that happens is a bark fest.
Maybe we are lucky. Our's doesn't bark a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the phone or when he wants his dinner. The trouble is he can be painfully loud. Makes your ears ring.

So far, fireworks are just to be avoided. He looks for somewhere he thinks is safe. And lies down quietly.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 09:50 PM
My Rosie absolutely hates them, some prat let them off tonight!! Kids on field next to us! Makes me wonder how the hell they manage to buy them without ID personally they should be banned unless it's a professional display and then the weekend before & after & that's it until New Year's Eve !
She hates them that much that she shakes, runs to hide, if I took her out, she'd run, if she got off lead, she'd panic & I'd loose her
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 09:51 PM
We used to take Hal to the firework display in Great Brington - the first year we had him he was just 3 months old, so we took him in a shoulder bag and then every year thereafter he came with us on 4 paws. Then, one year we were all sitting out in the conservatory in the dark watching the village fireworks when there was an almighty bang just above us and I jumped and shrieked! Ever since then he was frightened of fireworks and thunder, so I think such fear is learned sometimes, it is not always natural.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 04:33 AM
Tyto doesn't like them or thunder he has learnt to come to me if frightened and I then do t.touch on him and he relaxes and sleeps. It was bliss not having the airshow this year.
Bumblesnout
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2016, 04:53 AM
Any invitations to a fireworks party will categorically turned down this year
No ending up with a 5th 4legged friend
Though she's turned into a right sparkler lol
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Syd my male Dobermann used to love fireworks he'd stand outside for ages looking skywards so I think his calmness around them influenced the others as they came along. They'd all gather on the patio looking up as world war 3 carried on around them. The big bangs would make me jump at times but the dogs were all solid as a rock. Now Diesel the Staffie is the biggest influence on the others but he couldn't care less about them, quite an achievement for a dog that had a noise phobia as a pup.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >