Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Bargain chews.

Where do people buy chews and treats on line?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I make my own
Crack some sweet potato skins or thin-ish strips of meat in the oven on low for ages - makes nice chewy jerky!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm permanently OFF rawhide chews/bones after I found Bella silently wretching and she had a huge 'softened' bit of one lodged halfway down her throat! About a week ago.

Have to say it's never happened with any other dog I've had. And Bella is tiny. But it was quite scary and I am lucky I was able to 'hook it out'. Don't know what would have happened if she'd managed to swallow it. Don't want to know really - just got rid of any I had and am not getting any more!

The other time I stopped using them was when I wanted my Cavvy to lose a bit of weight and a vet told me they were quite 'fattening'. I hadn't thought of them like that and my Cavvy used to get through quite a few of those little 'lace up shoes'
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
I make my own
Crack some sweet potato skins or thin-ish strips of meat in the oven on low for ages - makes nice chewy jerky!
I used to that when Tonks was a puppy but now she's full grown they would be gone in an instant!
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'm permanently OFF rawhide chews/bones after I found Bella silently wretching and she had a huge 'softened' bit of one lodged halfway down her throat! About a week ago.

Have to say it's never happened with any other dog I've had. And Bella is tiny. But it was quite scary and I am lucky I was able to 'hook it out'. Don't know what would have happened if she'd managed to swallow it. Don't want to know really - just got rid of any I had and am not getting any more!

The other time I stopped using them was when I wanted my Cavvy to lose a bit of weight and a vet told me they were quite 'fattening'. I hadn't thought of them like that and my Cavvy used to get through quite a few of those little 'lace up shoes'
Have to say that Tonks does that all the time, always has done, I've stopped giving her the knotted bones as she will chew the knot off very very quickly and swallow it. She used to repeatedly gag and bring it up again, do two chews and swallow it again...and again...and again...but I started taking it off her the first time it came back up. Now I buy her the compressed large bones with take her much longer to chew and I take it away as soon as she's got it down to a swallowable piece.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I buy Ardern Grange Crunchy Bites, Kodi loves them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arden-Grange.../dp/B000O6QJB4
Also fish sticks sea jerky for his teeth
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...FQTMtAodFSkA2A

Kodi has had tummy trouble after eating marrow bones from the butcher, same with the filled bones from Pets at home, so very wary about giving them to him now. He has just had some pilchards in oil, very good for his coat too.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I buy Ardern Grange Crunchy Bites, Kodi loves them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arden-Grange.../dp/B000O6QJB4
Also fish sticks sea jerky for his teeth
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...FQTMtAodFSkA2A

Kodi has had tummy trouble after eating marrow bones from the butcher, same with the filled bones from Pets at home, so very wary about giving them to him now. He has just had some pilchards in oil, very good for his coat too.
How long to they take hi, to eat? I need something for a medium-light chewer and CBS for a staffie...who is a hard chewer but dozens like indestructible things!
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
How long to they take hi, to eat? I need something for a medium-light chewer and CBS for a staffie...who is a hard chewer but dozens like indestructible things!
Oh they are quick biscuit treats, not long lasting. If i want to keep him occupied i fill a kong with diced cheese, apple, etc
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Oh they are quick biscuit treats, not long lasting. If i want to keep him occupied i fill a kong with diced cheese, apple, etc
I think I have the only staffie who will not chew a kong! She prefers the throw, bounce, lick and pick up the larger pieces flying out of it....and ignore all the tiny pieces scattering around the play so they get walked into the carpet by the children.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I like cow hooves and i normally get them from zooplus - long term chewing without any fattiness or mess
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
I like cow hooves and i normally get them from zooplus - long term chewing without any fattiness or mess
They sound good! With have to take a look at those.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >