Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:51 PM

So much for 'perfect recall'

Simba has been absolutly brilliant with his recall from pretty much day one. He will ignore other dogs when we are out even when he is off-lead and stays very much focused on me or OH.

Until today!

I was up the field with him when a bloke appeared with an onlead lab, no problem just told Simba 'this way' and we wandered off up the field away from the bloke. Anyway Simba decided to not listen to me and started trotting towards the lab, I shouted him and 'this way' he stopped and looked back at me so I shouted 'good boy, this way simmy' and he wagged his tail, play bowed and hurtled over to the lab.....

He has never done this before so I started running over to him and shouting my appologies to the man, he went around the hedge just out of sight so I started to panic.

Just as I got round the hedge shouting out 'sorry' I was met by the man laughing and Simba...who was on his back wiggling from side to side under this labbys face
The lab was play-bowwing and they were really lovely, Simba was just being a right lil hussy flashing his bits while wriggling round on his back lol.

I appologised again to the man who shrugged it off and said it was not a problem at all and it was lovely to meet friendly dogs

I was a little annoyed that Simba had ignored my recall, but very pleased that it didnt go another way.

I think its back on his 50ft long line for a while lol
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:52 PM
hmmmm, recall needs work!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Had to larf, but it is such a bummer that he had a good time ignoring you of course as thus he is more likely to do it again.

How old is he?
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:19 PM
little tinker! Good luck! x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Good job it wasn't me and Cherry you met!!

Seriously though you were fortunate that it was a friendly dog as sometimes people's dogs are leashed because they are not friendly.

However, of course our dogs are not robots and they all make mistakes at times and do their own thing. It's when this becomes the norm that it develops into a problem.

Parker never charges over to other dogs. Other dog owners have commented on how good his social skills are. But the other day he charged at this dog on the field and then when he got there just stood still, politely looking the other way and let it sniff him. Awful thing to say but I don't think he realised it was a dog from a distance as it was a teeny weeny Dacshund and you couldn't see its legs! I think he may have thought it was a rodent! (Sorry not wishing offence at Daxie owners)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Oh bless him, I've had the same problem today with Louie only it got dangerous as he ran near the main road (crow chasing) - whilst I was at the bottom of two fields! All this after he recalled from one yesterday..

Looks like I'm also back to the long line..
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Hes 1 this month, Iv been out with him since, on long line and he has totally ignored other dogs and recalled brilliantly.
It makes me wonder why he found this particular dog so interesting, and I know, as you say its lucky it wasnt an aggressive dog, which was what was running through my head at the time. Luckily the dog was on lead because it wouldnt recall from other dogs and just wanted to play constantly lol