Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Exactly!!! Genetic things like this happen every so often, but if it gives the animal a disadvantage in evolutionary terms, them these traits die out.
Although - skin cancer in white (and black & white) cats won't die out, as it doesn't interfere with the animal's ability to breed. If the skin cancer affected them in kittenhood and they died before maturity then, yes. But it doesn't show symptoms until the cat is much older and has passed on genes to the next (and next and next!) generations.

The only way to prevent this would be to bring in cat-related BSL and insist that every white cat in the country must be neutered, none can be bred or imported, thereby eliminating the Dominant White gene from the British Isles. But that still wouldn't cover the number of white-marked cats with white ear tips who also get skin cancer.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
and show me where I have said something that has gone on for years makes it right!

and as most hairless breeds have been around longer, even thousdand of years before your coated breeds I am not sure what you are saying as with regards to carrying on breeding dogs that will need its skin protected.

See above

Maybe you should look up where hairless breed orginate from, you may find the weather in the contries they orinate from are alot different from the UK..Maybe this is a reason skin needs abit more care...Taking pride in your animal, and keeping it at its best causes no harm.

Next you will be telling us that hairless breeds should stay where they orginated, even that people shouldnt bath or cream their skin
I think that your answer to my question is that no it is not a problem breeding dogs that need cream on their skin to make them comfortable.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:09 PM
who on here plucks their dogs or was that added for effect?
Just noticed this-----I think you will find that quite often people pluck dogs!

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/dog_grooming/61646

I would have thought that was common knowledge---obviously not.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:12 PM
ermm that doesnt say its right!!?? Its asking you why 'now' you feel its wrong, nothing changed in the thousand odd years. I have posted a number of times on here about creaming..Mind you I just have guessed as soon as it was mentioned in a 'show' thread you would have been right on top of it.

'I think that your answer to my question is that no it is not a problem breeding dogs that need cream on their skin to make them comfortable.'

I cant even be bothered, believe what you will..makes no odds to me, and will just show everyone how very little you know about the breed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:14 PM
who on here plucks their dogs or was that added for effect?
plucking obvious, I`d have thought.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Just noticed this-----I think you will find that quite often people pluck dogs!

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/dog_grooming/61646

I would have thought that was common knowledge---obviously not.

rune

Obviously not you see Rune most people are decent/respectful enough not to comment on something we know nothing about, I am not ashamed to know nothing about the grooming of other breeds - therefore I wont judge or make comments.........Shame cant be said for all
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
From what I've read here (& I know nothing about cresties so happy to be corrected) but I thought that at least one reason for putting cream on them was to protect them from the sun as they can get sunburnt. The other reason seems to be because owners prefer nice soft moisturised skin to snuggle up to. I'm not for one minute suggesting that dogs at risk from sunburn shouldn't be protected in some way, be it by sunblock cream or being kept in the shade. And as long as it doesn't harm dogs to have moisturiser put on their skin & the dogs don't dislike it, then fair dos. But my earlier post asked why humans have bred dogs to be hairless in the first place & what functionality do hairless dogs perform that hairy dogs can't? If anyone can answer me please I'd be grateful. If not, I'll do the research myself. IMO Hairless dogs do not perform any other function than hairy dogs, especially in this day and age. Years ago they were used as ratters on boats as they did not tend to get infested with fleas so served a purpose then. Nowadays what do actual hairy dog breeds serve functionally
Why should Cresties not be bred?? IMO They do not suffer, infact they are one of the healthier pedigree breeds imo. Most dogs now do not serve the functional purpose they were bred for.

I also asked about the functionality of the folds & loose skin of the mastiff pictured earlier in this thread. Can anyone answer that please too?Cannot help ya as do not own wrinkly breeds.

As for bathing/shampooing a dog, I bath my dogs. I'm the first to admit they don't particular like it, but I do it for the sake of the humans they live with, i.e. me & my husband. We don't much like living with smelly dogs, especially dogs that regularly go swimming in the river or plough through muddy puddles or play in cow poo filled fields! But if I didn't bath them I don't think it would worry the dogs in the least.If I did not cream any of my dogs it would not bother them either, although some seem to believe my dogs would be uncomfortable

As for clipping nails, cleaning ears etc isn't that just what anyone does for their dog, regardless of the breed? And don't the things we need to do to keep our dogs happy & healthy change as the dogs age? And isn't getting them veterinary care also part of the way we keep our dogs happy & healthy? These things happen regardless of breed. But I don't know many hairy dogs that require sunblock or any other dogs with "normal" skin that are prone to the problems.
No there probably is no hairy dogs that require sunblock as they have hair covering their skin for protection of course, although I have known a white boxer who had skin cancer at tip of ear
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are you implying that those of us who don`t bath, cream and pluck our dogs have smelly houses?
How rude!
And how ignorant.
Slightly paranoid reply imo. Have I said your house is smelly lol
What I did ask was if Rune shampoo'ed her dogs as imo shampoo is an artificial product and tends to be used to keep dogs clean and "comfortable"

As for being ignorant, if you actually know me, then is when you should be making nasty remarks. Pot. kettle, black

ps I pluck my eyebrows not my Cresties lol
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Also hairless breeds were sought after in Egypt, as people believed them to be 'healers' with their warm, bald bodies.

Then theirs them that were bred for food...Lots of breeds dont do what they were bred for, they are still accepted why should hairless breeds be different?

As most hairless breeds come first - why should them that like something different not continue on with this amazing, different type of dog - just because they have no hair?
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
and how unsurprising.

It is easy to turn to insults when you are in a tight corner though. Especially when you don't have a leg to stand on.

rune
Sorry had to go to bed. Insults I asked you a question re the use of an artificial product
I have 2 legs and a strong background to aid my standing --something that is needed imo when answering a very ignorant view point from a person who has never had hands on my breed
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »