Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:41 PM

RSPCA Open Letter to Kennel Club: Crufts TV Coverage Attacked

Heres the link

What do you think ?

The following is an open letter to Kennel Club chief executive Rosemary Smart on behalf of the RSPCA in relation to Crufts 2011.

I am writing to express the RSPCA’s grave concern about the coverage of Crufts on More 4 during which interviewees and presenters repeatedly gave the message that pedigree dogs, including those shown at Crufts, are happy and healthy.

This is misleading to the public and extremely disappointing as we had hoped the coverage would be open and honest about the serious health and welfare issues that continue to affect many pedigree dogs, without glossing over the issues. After all, this is one of the biggest challenges facing dog welfare in the UK today.

Many pedigree dogs remain vulnerable to unnecessary disease, disability, pain or behavioural problems because they’re bred primarily for how they look rather than with health, welfare or temperament in mind.

Indeed, footage of some of the dogs at Crufts this year demonstrated the exaggerated features that we are so concerned about. As just one example, during the judging of the Working Group the commentators said that a dog was free from exaggerations. The dog in question clearly had extremely folded skin and drooping eyelids, which can lead to suffering.

Three reports on the welfare problems associated with dog breeding have been published in the UK in the last two years, and the conclusions of each are very clear – urgent action is needed to safeguard the welfare of pedigree dogs.

Although some progress has been made by the dog world, it has not been nearly enough and the problems are far from being solved. Both experts and the various reports on this issue recognise that it will take decades before the problems really begin to be resolved – and only then if sufficient effort is made by everyone in the dog world.

It is extremely misleading to suggest not only that the problems have been solved after only two years, but that pedigree dogs are happy and healthy.

Yours sincerely

Mark Watts
Chief Executive
RSPCA
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 05:44 PM
The link is blocked...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:47 PM
The link doesn't work but I did find it on google, I don't know I watched the TV coverage and they did a little section on how vets are going to be brought in where exaggerated features are concerned.. I didn't see many dogs except the Peke that stood out as exaggerated...but then again I tend to not be interested in any of the dogs that I am not rooting for.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Perhaps we should all write to the RSPCA & ask them why they have millions in the bank yet ask for more to feed all the rescue dogs ??? Money if donated via the appeal doesn't go to the branches but to the headquarters !!!!

The following is an open letter to Kennel Club chief executive Rosemary Smart on behalf of the RSPCA in relation to Crufts 2011.

I am writing to express the RSPCA’s grave concern about the coverage of Crufts on More 4 during which interviewees and presenters repeatedly gave the message that pedigree dogs, including those shown at Crufts, are happy and healthy.

This is misleading to the public and extremely disappointing as we had hoped the coverage would be open and honest about the serious health and welfare issues that continue to affect many pedigree dogs, without glossing over the issues. After all, this is one of the biggest challenges facing dog welfare in the UK today.

Many pedigree dogs remain vulnerable to unnecessary disease, disability, pain or behavioural problems because they’re bred primarily for how they look rather than with health, welfare or temperament in mind.

Indeed, footage of some of the dogs at Crufts this year demonstrated the exaggerated features that we are so concerned about. As just one example, during the judging of the Working Group the commentators said that a dog was free from exaggerations. The dog in question clearly had extremely folded skin and drooping eyelids, which can lead to suffering.

Three reports on the welfare problems associated with dog breeding have been published in the UK in the last two years, and the conclusions of each are very clear – urgent action is needed to safeguard the welfare of pedigree dogs.

Although some progress has been made by the dog world, it has not been nearly enough and the problems are far from being solved. Both experts and the various reports on this issue recognise that it will take decades before the problems really begin to be resolved – and only then if sufficient effort is made by everyone in the dog world.

It is extremely misleading to suggest not only that the problems have been solved after only two years, but that pedigree dogs are happy and healthy.

Yours sincerely

Mark Watts
Chief Executive
RSPCA
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree - and when you do ask them to come out *some* don't even do that for weeks. The KC are at least attempting to mend their ways and change the standards of certain dogs. They were even stressing the importance of paying a bit extra for a good puppy from a reputable breeder.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 05:54 PM
As just one example, during the judging of the Working Group the commentators said that a dog was free from exaggerations. The dog in question clearly had extremely folded skin and drooping eyelids, which can lead to suffering
What do you think?

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:56 PM
There was Vets and KC people walking around the benching areas, I know a number of people that show CC (who are breed 15 on the high priority list) have their grooming bags looked in, were told off for putting cream on the skin (which is the stupiedest thing I have ever heard)!!! and one person had a razor took of them. Things dont change over night, and most dogs at such events will be happy and healthy - or wouldnt be there.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Thought the BBC did better job covering Crufts.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What do you think?

It was Frank Kane, who said the dog int he picture is less exaggerated than some in that breed, which I agreed with btw.. you have to remember that "Rome was not built in a day" and its going to take many generations to achieve breeds with less exaggeration.

So on the whole for that breed in particular and what FK said, then yes, I think said dog is less exaggerated (folds of skin) than others in his breed.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
It was Frank Kane, who said the dog int he picture is less exaggerated than some in that breed, which I agreed with btw.. you have to remember that "Rome was not built in a day" and its going to take many generations to achieve breeds with less exaggeration.

So on the whole for that breed in particular and what FK said, then yes, I think said dog is less exaggerated (folds of skin) than others in his breed.
I agree I have seen loads that you just think are a grey blob walking around (on a TV programme about how dogs develop in the womb, a couple of Neo's on there)

But also if the dogs weren't looked after and weren't fit and healthy they wouldn't be allowed into Crufts - would they?
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »