Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
It's strange, but I have found that a lot of people view a loose "black" dog - especially a large one - in a suspicious negative way. A blonde or brown dog it seems is not viewed in quite the same way and will get a better reception. I don't think there is any logic to this at all and it is not a deserved reputation. Is it just the colour black?
I think this is true as Parker is quite dark and people can look at him a bit suspiciously and my husband says it is because he looks a bit intimidating! He is a real wussy in actual fact!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm not "assuming" anything, but making a valid point about black dogs. Go to the RSPCA or another general dog rescue and pretty much all black, averaged sized dogs will be labelled as a 'Lab cross' or likewise, regardless of whether they actually are. The dog you (not you personally ) condemn to be an 'aggressive Labrador' might not in fact be one at all...that is all.

On that note, I think I've only ever come across one Boxer that didn't want to take chunks out of my dogs. I can point you in the direction of more than several Boxers that are nasty blighters. But that doesn't mean anything, does it? I could point you in the direction of 'nasty blighters' of ALL breeds, including 'perfect family pet' Cockers, Springers, Golden Retrievers, etc. The breeds are not at fault here but the idiots who produce them in the first place.

Same here, and it is safe to say I've come across more than a few in my time!!
Are we now getting into my breed against yours, and which is the most aggressive

I think you will find , if you look at many of my posts on my breed , I will be the first to tell you that for every friendly one, you will find a not so friendly one.. I dont try to excuse it with "they may be crossbreeds".

I dont take it personally that you have met less than friendly Boxers, so not sure why you seem to be taking it personally that some have met some iffy Labs...

The problem with both our breeds (along with some others) is they are popular, and as such suffer the consequences, of indiscriminate breeding, which can have a fall out of behavioural problems.

I know a good few Labs, along with Boxers, some are fabulous, and some (both breeds) are nasty little blighters!!

But as the topic is about Labs, my post was in relation to them , they are not all the stereotypical friendly family pet!!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
As a lab owner I have to entirely agree with most of what's been said here!!

But there are some good lab owners around too. I know that young labs are often bouncy, OTT characters with little self control & too much joie de vivre. It's just such a shame that they are viewed as "easy" dogs by the general public as perhaps they need more training whilst young, than lots of other breeds!

I totally agree with this.

People do tend to have a rather idealistic image of Labs - not surprising given that we associate them with being guide dogs, assistance dogs, etc.

But young Labs are sooo bouncy and energetic and while this is lovely in many ways, it can be exhausting and also alarming for strangers who suddenly find a big Lab leaping up at them to kiss them hello

re BLACK LABS

I think people are definitely more wary of dark dogs - this is why black or dark dogs usually spend longer in rescue than paler dogs.

I've often said to friends that if my yellow Lab behaved the same way but was a black Lab or a GSD for instance, people's responses to him would be far, far less welcoming and positive.

Thus far, the black Labs I've met have all been fab. My best friend has a rescue Lab; he's a huge black Lab with gorgeous amber eyes which are hypnotic. He is stunning and a lovely boy.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a black dog and people are often scared of him. I think if he was a 'pretty' colour it wouldn't be the same. I don't judge dogs based on colour or breed, I look at how they're behaving.
Regarding labradors in general, I think they're a victim of the media, just like Dalmatians used to be. They're over bred and I personally know of someone who did 'pet' breeding with no thought to health or temperament. I've not met a nasty lab yet, just lots out of control. Having said that, I have met equal amounts who are well behaved and great examples. I'm meeting a lot of really 'small' labs nowadays though.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Are we now getting into my breed against yours, and which is the most aggressive

I think you will find , if you look at many of my posts on my breed , I will be the first to tell you that for every friendly one, you will find a not so friendly one.. I dont try to excuse it with "they may be crossbreeds".

I dont take it personally that you have met less than friendly Boxers, so not sure why you seem to be taking it personally that some have met some iffy Labs...

The problem with both our breeds (along with some others) is they are popular, and as such suffer the consequences, of indiscriminate breeding, which can have a fall out of behavioural problems.

I know a good few Labs, along with Boxers, some are fabulous, and some (both breeds) are nasty little blighters!!

But as the topic is about Labs, my post was in relation to them , they are not all the stereotypical friendly family pet!!
It is NOT an excuse but a valid point in the discussion, as I have said several times already. A lot of breeds physically are non-mistakable...a Bulldog looks like a Bulldog, a Chinese Crested looks like a Chinese Crested, a Dalmatian looks like a Dalmatian. You would seriously struggle to mistake these for anything else. The same can't be said for other breeds -- black Labs and Staffies automatically come to mind. People are quick to cast stones based on outward appearance without knowing the facts.

I don't believe that I ever denied that there were not "aggressive" Labs in existence. I'd be totally naive to assume they were all perfect, biddable little angels -- they are not. It is not something I've ever experienced personally, but have done so with many other 'perfect pet' family breeds -- Cocker Spaniels especially, and also Golden Retrievers.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Just though I'd share the relevant bits of our walk this morning.

We met a 'dark yellow' or reddish lab 'type', adult male. He and Jake took an instant dislike for each other, so we quickly moved on before it turned ugly. All perfectly under control. We also met a young (1yr) male black lab (Deffo pure bred.) who was an absolutely perfect ambassador for the breed. Although it was clear he was bursting with energy, his owner had him under very good control! I got the impression they were doing a spot of training as the lab had a retrieval dummy. On this meeting, neither dog really took much notice of the other and there was absolutely no tension between them.

All the dogs involved appeared to be field type rather than show type so probably bouncier than most, but all (Dare I say including Jake.) were well under control of their owners despite being either offlead or on a long line. Even so, there was a moment of grumbly tension but that's just a normal part of dog ownership.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
A good pup costs less in the end, it’s advisable to buy the best possible breeding –health checks and all. They all cost the same to feed and keep at the end of the day.

A well bread lab will have been bread to please for generations, and will more or less train its self. It will have no fear of cover or new situations.
Amazing - had I known labs can train themselves, I'd have had 4 of those instead of 3 GSDs and a loopy Lurcher!

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
In fairness, I see plenty of dogs in my area who are walked without leads - never seen a Lab or a Staffie yet though.

Owners who walk dogs without leads, near traffic etc, are my pet hate - I think they are unbelievably careless to the point of being neglectful.
It's not just neglectful, it's illegal here in the UK.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
A good pup costs less in the end, it’s advisable to buy the best possible breeding –health checks and all. They all cost the same to feed and keep at the end of the day.

A well bread lab will have been bread to please for generations, and will more or less train its self. It will have no fear of cover or new situations.
Sorry but I don't understand what food has to do with it? Is it because Labs are food magnets and you need a bit of Hovis or Granary to train them?

Shouldn't this be in the training treats thread?
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Sorry but I don't understand what food has to do with it? Is it because Labs are food magnets and you need a bit of Hovis or Granary to train them?

Shouldn't this be in the training treats thread?
Go and see Jesus smart ar*e. Bred, bread quite a common mistake. Not everyone’s perect like you...
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Amazing - had I known labs can train themselves, I'd have had 4 of those instead of 3 GSDs and a loopy Lurcher!

That was with regards to WORKING BRED Labradors, you buy a well-bred Lab- FT CH X FTCH and you’d see what I mean. (BRED to please for generations)

I typed MORE OR LESS, and by that I meant instinctively- sit, retrieve, left-right- things like that would/could come naturally to a well BRED Labrador Retriever.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >