Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have asked AP twice what physical tests he runs to prove this - but he has not given me an answer yet.
Adam's not come up with any checkable answers as to his degree, qualifications, etc... so why not treat him like any other troll? Anyone could come on here and say they have done X course or Y degree in behaviour at Z Uni... but Adam has never really given us any real verification.

Should be checkable if he was ever at X uni and ever did Y course... so let's see it.... please

I can easily check up on it with just a phone call or an email.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Has anyone seen this guy? he tries to put a positive spin on e-collars and constantly sarcastically mentions how abused his dogs look.
His work isnt terrible so why does he need an electrical device?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAX83MjyQI
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Adam's not come up with any checkable answers as to his degree, qualifications, etc... so why not treat him like any other troll? Anyone could come on here and say they have done X course or Y degree in behaviour at Z Uni... but Adam has never really given us any real verification.

Should be checkable if he was ever at X uni and ever did Y course... so let's see it.... please

I can easily check up on it with just a phone call or an email.
Just a thought, but why on Earth would you want to?

There are thousands of different degrees. There are many that relate to animals. There are a very few that relate specifically to dogs and even fewer that are gained through both theoretical and practical skills combined.

From what Adam has said on other forums, his degree is animal related. Animal related degrees cover all animals - usually all domesticated animals (as in cows, sheep, horses, dogs and cats etc). They cover husbandry techniques, environmental issues, social systems and some learning theory.

From his posts, I would have no reason to doubt his qualification. I wouldn't, however, see it as an indication of dog related expertise or even theoretical learning theory expertise.

Bits of paper (and I don't decry them at all, have one myself ) are an indication that learning has taken place and should, at degree level, indicate that the person holding them is competent at knowing how to research, evaluate and discuss reasons for their conclusions. However, the latter does seem somewhat lacking in respect of excitement masking supposed stress that cannot be seen and hasn't been tested for - unless, of course, Adam knows of some studies that indicate this?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Ok I think I understand you, basically your saying that because the reward dog has overriding excitment associated with the treat that that is better?
I don't see the logic of it, the dog still feels the stress, you just can't see it.

If you lower the quality of the reward (decreae excitment) but continue to train in the same way the stress signals become apparent again.

Adam
nope, wrong again

are you sure you are the only person whom cannot grasp my concept, despite repreated clear explanations????

are you sure now???

i really dont think you are that slow on the uptake....

also, as a second piece of self contradiction, and as Smokeybear pointed out earlier, if you cannot see the stress, how can you say the dog is stressed?????

as you yourself are admitting that you arent referring to the scientific quantification of observation (body langauge)...the stress signs are masked, remember ... what is your measured criteria for citing stress which you cannot see?

basically adam, you indeed cannot see simple logic.

your own argument is flawed, and your own comments contradict themselves.

but im sure you realise that and, are just playing dodgeball with us
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
We started to ignore Lou on another forum and the threads more or less died so it does work. We did have to form a yahoo group to encourage us to sit on our hands though----bit like AA

'my name is rune and I am addicted to answering e collar posts, I will take it one day at a time and try to ignore them'

LOL

rune

Wys
x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Its quite simple really, people use ecollars to train "basics" because they havent the talent or understanding to succeed with other methods
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
There are actual physiological tests that can be done to show the difference between positive reinforcement & punishment/negative reinforcement. There are many studies identifying the reward pathways in the brain, to measure serotonin levels, & also tomeasure acute & chronic stress by levels of circulating adrenaline, cortisol levels, ACTH, & other neurotransmitters & hormones.

Yes indeed, agree
When I spoke to Bob Bailey (one of the first OC animal trainers to bring OC to the general public, not sure if you've heard of him? ) he suggested that until we can actually know what animals are literally thinking, we can't (or rather the shock collar people can't) assume that a dog is experiencing a negative emotion/bad stress, etc.(This was in context of this exact discussion, nothing else). The fact that some are saying it occurs at the particular point of reward training they are suggesting, are just basically making things up

It's not how OC works, and unless they can prove otherwise,they are lying.

BB put it much better than me, though

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
...ETA - Failed - Sorry Wys

Don't worry - it will happen

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i said that a while back and krusse came down on me for it
Re ignoring shock collar posts.

Hi there,

I don't know exactly what was said, but I think just ignoring a thread is different to stopping someone from posting - it's just using "customer choice"

However, there is also the view that everyone and anyone should be allowed to speak whatever their view, otherwise "Free Speech" is stifled.

I actually disagree with this stance.

Reasons:

I don't believe that "allowing free speech" does what it says on the tin.

Because what happens is that you get bullies, loud mouths, liars, twisters and know it alls shouting their wares. Those who have equal right to speak, and often equal or better knowledge, but who are perhaps more gentle in nature, tend to have to fight hard to get heard, and often have to endure outright attacks, lies and bullying on some forums with no intervention. It's a flawed and incorrect situation, in my humble opinion

The sort of free speech that many talk about on forums, and insist is right, would, if taken to extremes, allow real abusers to talk their talk.

Also if people are promoting cruelty, abuse, etc then I personally do not agree with giving them a voice. Of course there may then be the arguments about "what is cruelty or abuse" and so on. And from then on, much depends on which forum one is on (not just talking dogs here but more widely - e.g. family forums, etc).

JMO though!

Wys
x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Its quite simple really, people use ecollars to train "basics" because they havent the talent or understanding to succeed with other methods
Yep that says it all.
Closed Thread
Page 60 of 98 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »