Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ColdHound
New Member!
Male 

31-12-2011, 03:36 AM

DNA testing

I am looking to try and find out if my dog that i got for free is a purebred. Me and my wife got him cause the previous owner could not keep him in their house cause their landlord only allowed one pet and they already had one. He is six months old and down the line we would like to train and stud him but want to make sure he is purebred first. So if anyone knows which kind is the most accurate or trusted can you please help me out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Good luck, even if he is purebred without any pedigree, who would want to use him?

It is bitch owners who choose studs and they are going to use dogs which meet the AKC standard, have proved they do so in the ring or in the working field, and because the stud dog comes from lines they know will improve theirs.

Of course, for training purposes it is irrelevant if your dog is a pure bred or not unless of course you are competing in a sport where dogs must be AKC registered.

Even if your dog is pedigree how would you then go about getting him AKC registered?

It is a very long and involved process in the UK, I do know of someone who is going through this at the mo, and thus far it has taken nearly a year...........

Does the US NEED more of what ever dog you have?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree with you in terms of wanting to train your dog. But if you wanted to become breeders (reputable breeders I mean) then why didn't you approach a reputable breeder who can mentor you and guide you through the breeding process step by step?

Have you asked the previous owners for his paperwork i fhe is AKC registered? If he isn't, as SB asked, does the US really need more of this breed/type of dog? You may find you're just adding to the already horrendous rescue situation.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:42 AM
The DNA tests are horribly inaccurate - many breeds are not includd and it will give a "closest guess".

Studding out a dog of unknown heritage is pointless - even if he is pure bred - its all about paperwork too - how would you know his parents are healthy and that he doesn't have epileptic grandparents without paperwork??

Get training and enjoy him for what he is

Your best bet for finding out if he is a purebred - post some photos, contact some breeders of that breed and ask for opinions
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Would you love him any less if he was a mutt? And even if he's a purebred dog, why do you want to use him at stud? If it's not immediately obvious to you what breed he is and you don't have any proof in way of registration papers, how do you know what the hell you're breeding? And you do bear half the responsibility for bringing more unwanted dogs in to an uncertain future as they will be no more than mongrels or crossbreeds at best if your dog is unregistered. Using a dog at stud is not as easy as that as you have to find someone with a female who wants to use him. And if you do find another one in your area of similar breeding (someone breeding purebred dogs would use a registered stud dog who has probably won well in the showring) without paperwork you run the risk of mating your dog unwittingly to his mother or sister.

If you even have a chance of proving it, you'd have to find then prove both his parents were AKC registered and get him and both parents DNA tested then hope the AKC will register him under some kind of extenuating circumstance. Even if you could do that, which is a long shot, will take months and is going to be expensive, in what way will that change the way you love and care for your dog? You may never even recoup the money you have spent even if someone wants to use him at stud.

Just enjoy him for what he is and put your ego aside, as that's the only thing that will benefit if you prove he's a pedigree and breed from him. Pedigree or not, he's a family member and that's what you should be enjoying him as.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Why do you want to use him at stud ? Even if you had his registration & pedigree details is he of such outstanding quality that he will be an asset to improving the breed ? These are the questioning that you need to ask yourself & then you need to have him fully health tested & then prove his value to the breed for his working ability /& conformation & then have to pursuade someone with an equally valuable bitch to use him & then you & the bitch owner will be jointly responsible for all the puppies they produce from bitch to death(including taking them back if they are no longer wanted)
ColdHound
New Member!
Male 

31-12-2011, 03:39 PM
First and foremost, I appreciate all the replies to my post.

Secondly, from what i read from everyones post so far is it can be nearly impossible to find out the breed of Duke. (My horse of a puppy lol)

I do intend to train him. My wife and I are discussing whether or not to train him for tracking or for obidience. In the Dakotas there is not much else to do besides hunting for water fowl or whitetail and I have never had dog pet come along but it would be great.

As far as the breed of the dog. I can post a picture on here of him. If anyone knows of a bloodhound owner i would appreciate if you could ask them. It is an uncommon breed here in the dakotas cause of the cold winters. The dominate breed here is Labs. To be honest his litter was the first I have seen of possible bloodhounds in the six years i have been stationed in the Dakotas.

Anyways enough rambling, thank you again everyone for your replies.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I've been looking into getting my dog tested, all i know is she has Basenji in her. This is the best one i've found,
This is the list of breeds detected:
http://www.wisdompanel.co.uk/breedin...sdetected.html
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Most people I know who have had the tests done have found them to be a bit of a joke really.

Dogs with known ancestry come back with all sorts of strange results.
ColdHound
New Member!
Male 

31-12-2011, 04:43 PM
i spoke to my wife and explained the fact that because we dont have to papers of his parents let alone because we "adopted" him we dont know who his parents are that we should not stud him. He is a great dog that is quickly learning the ins and outs of our home and gets along great with our two cats. Stairs are still an a burden for him. He is clumsy when he trys to run up the stairs and just trips. But all in all he is a great dog that just needs the love that my wife and I and our 3 month old son can give him. Thank you everyone for your help in making an informed decision.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >