Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 09:55 PM

Teething problems

Does anyone know the procedure of capping a front tooth. and roughly how much.
Absolutely years ago when I was about 21, I had my front tooth broke (a large corner broke off). You might laugh, but I was hit in the mouth with a base drum. Don't ask, ops: all I can say is I'm glad I was a bit worse for wear with the drink, so I didn't feel a thing. But I had to drink through a straw after that.
Anyway, I couldn't afford to get it done properly, so the dentist did it the cheapest way he could, which was to just fill it basically.
Surprisingly that lasted about 10 years. Then it snapped off in the least expected place, a pub, when I was just about to have a swig of some bottled alco-pop. the pub was a crowded one.
Again finding money hard I oppted for the same cheap treatment.
Now 5 years down the line it's starting to give me gyp.
It started off being a bit sensitive to bite, but now it is aching on and off.
My partner wants me to get it capped properly, but I'm terrified of what they'll have to do.
I'm scared stiff of injections, which I'm bound to have to have to numb it, and I'm a total coward and I'm scared in case it hurts. :smt022
Do they have to take the nerve out, if they do then I'm definitely not going.
Would I be left anytime with a broken tooth, don't think I could stand that, it's my front one.
Are you still allowed to be put to sleep for dentist treatment. That I could manage.
Any info would be appreciated.

Mitch.

By the way the person who hit me with the drum in the first place, (must add by accident) Is now my partner, we became a couple about a year after the incident. I'm still planning my revenge.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 10:01 PM
lol Mitch sounds like you had fun when you met !!
I am petrified of Dentists so i couldnt tell you what the procedure is, i only go if i am in extreme pain i am sweating and shaking when i take the kids and i am no where near the big chair !!!

Emma
xxxxx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Mitch

First thing to do is find a dentist who is symphatic to people who are afraid of them! My dentist is very very good, if I ever need an injection he does it very very slowly, I simply look away. By doing the injection slowly, you can hardly feel a thing, plus you don't get al swollen up either.

With reagrds to capping i think thats what they literally do, 'cap' it. So they shave around your tooth enough so a 'cap' can fit it. I also think they give u a temp cap so no, you dont end up with an empty space.

Best thing to do tho is phone around a few dentists (or get ur partner to) to let them know how scared you are, you'll get a 'feel' for which dentist you know is gonna treat u 'right'.

Good luck!
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks Azz,
I do have a dentist, but never really needed any treatment from him. I go every 6 months for check ups, my kids go with me and he is great with them, so he will probably be very understanding, it's just me. I have an appointment on Thurs, so I'll have a chat with him then and see what he says.
I've got it into my head that they have to take the nerve out, and I've been told that it really hurts even when you've been numbed.
That will be a big help if he tells me that they don't have to do that.
I suppose I'll just have to be brave.

Mitch.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 10:42 PM
i have a tooth that has a crown not sure if this is the same as a cap the tooth was drilled down to a point and then the crown is literally screwed into the root. It didint hurt only bad thing is injection and looks great and have had no pain there since so go for it. i got hit with a woden skipping rope handle which was bad enough but a bass drum sounds painful!!!
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Oh no Katy, Im starting to be put off. Screwed into the root, don't like the sound of that :smt022 it's bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it.
And the injection to numb a front top tooth is right under your top lip, and it kills. I had it done once before and vowed I wouldn't go through with it again. I'm beging to shake. :smt100

Mitch.

By the way getting it broke was the easy bit :smt040
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2004, 11:08 PM
That's definatly some chat up line Mitch

Usually NHS dentists are a lot cheaper than private ones.

As for the capping, I'm not sure. I'm petrified of dentists and start panicking when I sit in the waiting room before I go in. I even asked for a general anesthetic when they said I needed a filling
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Well you are atleast lucky enough to be able to get a general aneasticia.

That's not an option in Denmark. only a local aneastecia around the tooth.

I HATE dentists and I'm scared sh*tless of them. I have to make breathing exercises sitting in the waiting room.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Azz
they shave around your tooth
Azz u were told not to take HRT see what happens when u do, hair grows in ur mouth :smt016

Soz guy's I just couldn't resist that

I hate dentisits too, I avoid them like the plague
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi Mitch- My son broke his front tooth in a RTA he has recently had his capped ( he had a temporary cap while some other work was done )
He had no anesthetic and didn't feel a thing !!
He has had needles in the front and the dentist was so gentle , again he didn't feel anything -ask around and try and find a sympathetic dentist -they do exsist honest lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >