Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks! I found this very interesting and enlightening, I just didn't know how it all worked. What I would like to compare is, say a private school (like the one up the road from me), where they board them, they feed them, they educate them, very highly in fact, they go on to Oxford and Cambridge from this school, I'd like to compare their income from fees, the amount of pupils, to a public school with the same amount of cash being filtered into it with a similar amount of pupils and just see how it all compares? That would be really interesting! As somebody else has said, when it's a private company, every penny is accounted for, but when it's Government money coming in, I'm sure there's a lot of it that goes "wrong", is that the word, or maybe just wasted or lost perhaps? It's the same difference to me, doesn't matter where the money comes from be it fees or Government funded none of it should be wasted, and if private schools can do it, why can't the others? I know you said there is a huge difference in the amount of input cashwise, but IS there I wonder?
That would be very interesting!I know for a fact though that the funding between a fairly cheap independent school (£10.000) per annum (no boarding) is roughly 4 times that of a state school per child!

As for state schools counting their pennies. We sit every term and got through every item of expenditure and see how that can be trimmed further.We can account for where everything is spent.We have to do this as we are audited and have to fulfil certain criteria to achieve our financial accreditation.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Full boarding fees are £19,000/£20K a year, but they do days only at £15K a year, so is there a figure per pupil then for a state run school? Surely they work it out per pupil when they hand over the cash? I'm talking 8 years and up to 14 here from what I can remember, so is there a figure per child at these ages for state schools, I bet it's almost there surely, it can't be £4K a year each pupil like you are saying about 4x as much?

I actually worked at this school for a short while, and even the meals were worked out precisely at say, 37p per child per meal, and dare anybody go over it! Quite incredible the lengths they went to to keep within their budget, and I doubt that happens in state schools I really don't (or do!)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Full boarding fees are £19,000/£20K a year, but they do days only at £15K a year, so is there a figure per pupil then for a state run school? Surely they work it out per pupil when they hand over the cash? I'm talking 8 years and up to 14 here from what I can remember, so is there a figure per child at these ages for state schools, I bet it's almost there surely, it can't be £4K a year each pupil like you are saying about 4x as much?

I actually worked at this school for a short while, and even the meals were worked out precisely at say, 37p per child per meal, and dare anybody go over it! Quite incredible the lengths they went to to keep within their budget, and I doubt that happens in state schools I really don't (or do!)

I think the amount per child in the state system is roughly £3000( for a much longer school year as well) plus some block payments that might take it to £3500.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:43 PM
No wonder they don't have enough money!!!! Then again, look at the difference in numbers of pupils in each school, it only takes one teacher to teach 10 kids as opposed to 40 at a time?? See what I'm getting at?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:16 PM
No wonder they don't have enough money!!!! Then again, look at the difference in numbers of pupils in each school, it only takes one teacher to teach 10 kids as opposed to 40 at a time?? See what I'm getting at?
LOL just checked and we get about £2000 per child as a school . In Key stage 1(infants there is a legal limit of 30 children in a class) No limit in Key stage 2 (juniors). A newly qualified teacher earns £22,000 a higher level teacher would get £31,000 before any additional add ons.(outside London).
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I only have comments for what I know and my sons teacher as the rest of the school its lights out at 3.30pm and no one is there.
How on earth would you know? Do you hang around watching?

I find comments like this very demeaning to people who do a fantastic job (often under Huge pressure).
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Tassle you obviously have not read the whole thread, please do so before commenting.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Well they are, but a lot of the cuts are going to be front line services not back room pen-pushers. I just wish that they had spent more time looking behind the scenes before the axe fell. To reduce bureaucracy would mean changing the law which hasn't happened.

You've just sumed up this UNELECTED bunch of knee jerkers in that one sentence.

They have NOT looked into these cuts properly, they haven't had the time!!!!
But we have to suffer for their lack of concern for anyone.

Any public sector worker has my support because no one deserves to lose their jobs without proper thought and consultation.
A drop in wages for the fat cats would save more money.

I dont think a 4% total saving in 5 yrs is worth the pain these cuts will cause.
The Government are STILL going to be borrowing more money than the last lot and guess what....You and me are going to be paying more for it.

Why is that FAIR!!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Tassle you obviously have not read the whole thread, please do so before commenting.
No - I have replied directly to comments made by yourself about comments made by me.....I am slowly working my way through the thread and have started to see that you have changed your mind and/or were possibly trying to be sarcastic? Either way - I found your comments quite offensive.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No - I have replied directly to comments made by yourself about comments made by me.....I am slowly working my way through the thread and have started to see that you have changed your mind and/or were possibly trying to be sarcastic? Either way - I found your comments quite offensive.
oh well. not to worry.

If my opinion is offensive so be it.

I find paying tax to fund jobs that there are no need for offensive, but then we are all different.
Page 10 of 27 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »