Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Yep it all creates some stress, you can't deliever a constant stream of treats and if you could you would have rewarded all behaviours! The delays and absence will create stress. Deprivation increases motivation. Waiting until a dog is hungry to do some training (not desperatly though) will ensure a higher level of try in the dog. Same as only using a special toy.

I'm not saying anythings wrong with that! Just that it happens.

Adam
Oh dear .

Adam, may I suggest you ask to go and sit in on a training class run by a good trainer who predominantly uses rewards. I think you will very likely have a change of view if you ever get to see this type of training carried out properly. In fact, if you can convince the trainer to let you shadow them during an aggression one to one session, I think you will learn vast amounts. If it ever comes off, take your video camera and compare your own footage with that taken at such a session. You may then begin to understand a little bit about training predominantly with reward
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Yep it all creates some stress, you can't deliever a constant stream of treats and if you could you would have rewarded all behaviours! The delays and absence will create stress. Deprivation increases motivation. Waiting until a dog is hungry to do some training (not desperatly though) will ensure a higher level of try in the dog. Same as only using a special toy.

I'm not saying anythings wrong with that! Just that it happens.

Adam
You really have no idea do you? not a clue no wonder you HAVE to use a Ecollar, youd be unable to train in a normal way , due to lack of empathy , understanding & talent
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Oh dear .

Adam, may I suggest you ask to go and sit in on a training class run by a good trainer who predominantly uses rewards. I think you will very likely have a change of view if you ever get to see this type of training carried out properly. In fact, if you can convince the trainer to let you shadow them during an aggression one to one session, I think you will learn vast amounts. If it ever comes off, take your video camera and compare your own footage with that taken at such a session. You may then begin to understand a little bit about training predominantly with reward
I wish this would be the case....but I fear the lure of the quick fix is to strong
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Here, Adam & friend - a nice book for you about how to recognise and deal with canine stress. You can get it from Amazon.
Stress in Dogs: Learn How Dogs Show Stress and What You Can Do to Help [Perfect Paperback]
Martina Scholz

come on, guys, let`s have an Educating Adam Project. Go team!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Here, Adam & friend - a nice book for you about how to recognise and deal with canine stress. You can get it from Amazon.
Stress in Dogs: Learn How Dogs Show Stress and What You Can Do to Help [Perfect Paperback]
Martina Scholz

Maybe thats going a bit OT but ok

- Dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) derived from wolves.
- Most aim to please a human who they trust and stay loyal to for most of their lives.
- Rescue dogs are often found to be hardest to rehabilitate as many have issues - these can be resolved with TLC
- Dogs feel pain but will not show it unless near enough death or in immense pain.

Thats about it from me
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Thats right kruse.

If I'd brought a ball out he would have lightened up and those signals disappeared, as it was I wanted to show the reality of dealing with a dog with a history of aggression.

Btw did you watch the follow up vids?

Adam
maybe i was too subtle.

or you've missed the irony of your post above.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Whats your point, if I brought the ball out it would have looked ok becuase he would have gone into drive and masked stress signals REGARDLESS of the use of aversives.

Adam
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2010, 10:49 PM
.............no
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Whats your point, if I brought the ball out it would have looked ok becuase he would have gone into drive and masked stress signals REGARDLESS of the use of aversives.

Adam
Heres a idea bring the bloody ball out ALL the time , Train with that if he loves it & throw away the e colar
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Martina Scholz

An admirable thought & if there was even a glimmer of hope that Adam would be prepared to learn, I would whole-heartedly join in ~ but I don't think he's interested in the welfare of dogs ~ only in making money from poor dog owners who don't know any better

BTW I've mentioned Coercion & its Fallout by Murray Sidman a few times on Dogsey & I can highly recommend it. It's not sentimental twaddle & it's not a dog training/behaviour book but it graphically illustrates the things that can go wrong & the emotional fallout from using coercion for teaching & in just in general, both on an individual level & international level. Quite thought provoking, if sometimes idealistic, but well worth a read.
Closed Thread
Page 46 of 98 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 56 96 > Last »