View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:30 AM
We take rest days too and I think its best for the dog. We also vary our schedule when we do walk and the length of the walks and the places we walk so she never knows what to expect and we don't get into a rut. She never pesters me for a walk and is MORE than happy to veg out in her bed on a rainy day. The princess can't be getting her paws wet now can she?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't tend to do rest days if I can help it. That said, my Lab couldn't care less if he didn't go out for a walk for a few days, nor could the Yorkie. But for my own sanity Bo my Slovak needs at least one walk a day. She needs to RUN an she can't really run full stretch in our garden.

However, I am totally random when it comes to walking. Some days we will do a longer walk, other times it will be just a shorter one, etc. Sometimes once, twice, very occasionally three times. She seems content when she gets out for a run at least once a day (even if only for a half an hour) so that suits me.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

Sibevibe, that sounds like something Turid Rugaas may say. She suggested that it is very 'stressful' for a dog to go to the park and interact and play and they should have a couple of days to calm down after it...
Hello Ramble

Yes very much the Turid Rugaas way. The study I refer to was published by 'dogwise'. Stress in Dogs by Martina Scholz & Clarrissa von Reinhardt. Of the study Turid wrote, "Congratulations to my students Martina and Clarissa for 'Stress in Dogs', a clear and concise book about a very important topic. Well done!"

It explains the physiology of stress and illustrates the difference between Eustress and Distress.

Darcy, Isaac and Jacub in the kitchen making it very clear what they need after the buzz and excitement of a 2 day rally

Hope this finds you well Ramble.

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Seoniad
What a fab picture!
I will try and have a look at the study, sounds interesting, thankyou.
xx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my lot love a duvet day, or 3 depending on weather, rain normaly = duvet day in this house, even getting them to go out for a wee can be a nightmare.
It's difficult enough getting Tilly out in the rain for a wee, can't imagine having to wrestle rottis out the door for a wee lololol.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I personally think it is a great idea.

We were actually encouraged to do this at dog training.

IMO, Jess tires more easily, and quicker, with mental exercise than she does with physical.

Jess is like a duracell battery. With exercise she can go on and on and on and on and on (on one occasion she was run for a four hour greoup walk, then a 2 hour with one other dog walk, and when she got back, she still had energy), however, when we do mental, you only need to do about 30 mins and she is pooped!

I think more people should be encouraged to do mental with their dogs! It is highly underestimated IMO.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I think it's a good idea - epsecially like you say if something unexpected happens - although I don't do it, I do try to change the routine more frequently.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
My goodness what a relief to read this thread. If for whatever reason I don't get them out for their walks I feel so guilty! But I have often thought when we are struggling round the park in the driving rain and wind and then Sam just stands at the park gate after one circuit wanting to go home what is the bloody point of this everybody soaked and miserable for a measly 20 mins exercise. If this happens again I'm not going to feel guilty( although neither will I let it become a habit)
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5