Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Owners of small dogs grrrr

We have tiny Betty we do not let her rush at other dogs, she has to say hello politely, she is not allowed to bark at other dogs or provoke them in any way.

So why do some people think it's OK ?

Just back from a little walk where we encountered 3 separate small dog incidents where they were allowed to just about provoke the heck out of bigger dogs including my Mollie who was an angel and didn't retaliate even when a pom was clamped quite painfully onto her face.

Makes me so cross because everyone then thinks all small dogs are snappy yappy things !
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I know - such a shame when little ones get a bad reputation because of ignorant owners.

I remember when Pepe (standard poodle) was a few months old - and already quite big - he ran for his life in terror pursued by a tiny yapping Yorkshire Terrier. The owner made no attempt to stop it - I think she thought how 'brave' it was. If a big dog had chased hers, though, it would have been a different story.

Luckily though there are some very friendly toys round here too.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I hear you on that one.

I do some volunteering and they seem to be getting more and more small dogs in rescue that are only there because they have been spoiled rotten and have turned into little terrorists it's so sad.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2013, 02:30 PM
It was a JRT who came racing towards us looking like she was going to attach who had my scooter over with me under it leaving me with badly damaged arm and leg and a broken collar bone. I dread to think how I would have been if I had brittle bones, probably bed ridden for the rest of my life.

I have a small dog and had them in the past, unlike most owners of small dogs who pick them up to control them mine don't know what it is like to be picked up apart from Gracie when she could no longer get upstairs to bed, she would wait for me to carry her up and down, apart from that she was never picked up.

Many owners of little dogs don't bother to train them, they are lovely to train and usually love it, they move faster than bigger dogs as well which makes training interesting.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Even though he's now 13 my little terrier - one-quarter Yorkie - absolutely flies around any fun obstacle course we set up.

His brain works a lot faster than the two bigger ones too - he runs rings round them!
Hottie
New Member!
Female 

10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
We were talking about this subject at our agility class last week. There's a Weimaraner and a Rottweiler (yes I had to google how to spell both) at our agility class who are both grumpy around small dogs. Their owners believe it's because they've been hassled by so many little dogs.

The staffies also get a raw deal too, and invariably get blamed if they stick up for themselves when provoked by smaller dogs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Obviously you mean 'some' owners of small dogs as you are one yourself. And I too am an owner of a small dogs but have also owned big dogs and medium sized dogs too.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Obviously and I was assuming anyone here would not be the people I was talking about either !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I had the exact same thing yesterday morning, a little pug dog, the owner had seen me put my dog onlead, and yet she let her dog run straight across to us, but because it then slowed down and my dog was fine, her tail and body language were telling me she was going to be fine with it, next minute as it approached my dog, it splayed it's legs out and then leaped at her face My dog took umbridge to that, and good job I had her onlead cos she told it off by barking at it which is quite unusual for her (she normally goes in for the kill at any signs aggression!). I had to apologise to the woman and she said that it was 9 months old and at that "stage" (so she had obviously had other encounters then), and I said that my dog was trying to teach it some manners! Off she went, and my husband mumbled with "Zena would always get the blame, no matter what" and he's right, cos she's the big, scarey dog.

I can't wait to meet this woman again, because I bet my bottom dollar that her dog will have the utmost respect next time she encounters mine. I hope it learned its lesson it was given so gracefully, when it could have been eaten alive!

Some people just don't have a clue and I sometimes wonder how the heck they are allowed to own a dog.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 03:38 PM
My boyfriend was walking Ella the other day, they were walking past a cafe with seating outside. And from underneath a table (on a non-clicked flexi lead) came a little dog shot out barking madly at them.. And nearly everybody laughed and thought it was cute!
If that had been a bigger dog it would have taken the whole of the cafe down.. not so funny then.
And the other day Ella got attacked by a tiny fluffy dog, owners far away. I think this is unacceptable whatever the size of the dog but owners of small dogs get away with murder sometimes..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >