Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:13 PM

Does my dog need to lose weight?

Oscar is a toy poodle. He's very big but the breeder told us he would be and she also said he was stocky and well-built. I think he's approx. 12 inches in height. He weighs about 5.5 kilos. The vet said he is not over-weight but people have said he looks chubby.

I measure out his food and he gets 2 meals a day. He is fed JWB. Yes, he gets treats when practicing recall etc but not loads and he only gets a couple of biscuits a day. I make sure he gets plenty of exercise too.

Honest opinons please?

honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:18 PM
From the photos he looks fine to me but it is hard to tell, and to be honest i havent the foggiest what a poodle should weigh!!!
I am sure you, yourself know...dont be worried about what others say.

If you are unsure take a trip to the vets to put your mind at rest x

Eta just re read that youve been to vets and they say he is fine so tell the other people to mind their own business!!!
He is a cutie thats for sure x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:19 PM
He's very cute

If the vet says he's not overweight, I'm sure you are fine.

It is very difficult to tell by just looking due to his coat and I should imagine that those that say he is chubby maybe don't realise that it is mostly fur. I used to have this with my old Kip - he was as skinny as a rake but several people said they thought he looked 'chunky'.

How easily can you feel his ribs?

If you and your vet are happy with his weight and he is fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry about what other people say.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Looks ok to me, and as others have said if you vet says that there is no weight problem I would not worry. Take no notice of others comments, they clearly don't know what there talking about.
Lovely dog too!!!!
Elaine xx
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:39 PM
he looks fine to me u cant really tell cos hes got alot of fur maybe thats what they see
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi Sophie as you have already spoken to your vet and he says Oscar is ok I wouldn't worry too much.

I would say he looks fine and not at all fat .
Some dogs tend to look a bit plump over the winter months when they can't go out so much and have a long winter coat. They lose fat over the summer anyway with the heat/panting/more excercise .
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the replies. He has got a lot of fur, he needs grooming actually. I think most people expect poodles to be super slimlined and Oscar is indeed well-built!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sophie* View Post
Thank you for the replies. He has got a lot of fur, he needs grooming actually. I think most people expect poodles to be super slimlined and Oscar is indeed well-built!
Oscar is a handsome youg man...enjoy him
Elaine xx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi,

I must admit I'm not a poodle person, but Oscar is absolutely gorgeous.

Don't concern yourself with what hey scales say - to me he's not overweight or fat/chubby at all. It's fine for a dog to be stocky and well built, and you say he has plenty of exercise. So if he has good muscle tone also it's doubtful he's be anything other than stocky.

Personally, I don't believe a possdle should be very slim/skinny. They look better with a littel bit of flesh on them.

His coat makes him look cuddly though but it's clear from the picture where he's lying down on his side that yo're doing everything right and have nothign to worry about.

Your vet says he's fine and he looks good to me. So ignore what others say. He's obviously very happy so continue as you have been.

Laura xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Looks good to me
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >