Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Crusty scabby skin :(

A couple of weeks ago I noticed what looked like a bit of a graze on Georges side. I noticed him licking the area the other day & it now looks a bit scabby & crusty. Is this just something that will clear up given time or is there anything I can do to speed things up. He hates the vet so that will be a last resort but as it is only in one spot I thought it was not to serious.
Any help would be appreciated.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Try washing with hibiscrb and put sudocream on. Hibiscrb is the solution doctors wash their hands with and sudocream is put on baby's bums for nappy rash
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I was going to suggest sudocream as well. My friends dog gets eczema on his back and when it flares up she puts it on and it helps a lot.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 03:11 PM
After cleansing as recommended, if there is any chance it might be infected, FUCIDIN ointment is very effective and often recommended for dogs by vets. It's the same stuff exactly as is sold for human use.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I had a similar sounding thing one year on one of my dogs likely from an insect bite and the vets gave me sudocrem worked a treat but I guess fuciderm would be the same
I just thought that as the person is not in the UK I would explain what these things are normally used for.
Sudocrem is also used for Eczema and bed sores according to the tub
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I had a similar sounding thing one year on one of my dogs likely from an insect bite and the vets gave me sudocrem worked a treat but I guess fuciderm would be the same
I just thought that as the person is not in the UK I would explain what these things are normally used for.
Sudocrem is also used for Eczema and bed sores according to the tub
Yes I believe the sudocrem is used for eczema and dermatitis (as is VitE cream) and the Fucidin or Fucicort used for much the same except one of them has antibacterial properties too.

My daughter had a fit when I used some of my 'dog cream' for myself! I told her I'd asked the vet if it was EXACTLY the same as Fucidin for people and he said it was!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 03:52 PM
You haven't mentioned if the scabby skin is irritating your dog, if so it could be mange, harvest mites etc
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
You haven't mentioned if the scabby skin is irritating your dog, if so it could be mange, harvest mites etc
Good point jenny.
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
With it just being in one spot I thought it must just be a localised problem but he is licking it a lot which I think is making things worse.
I'll try & see if I can find some of this cream first but thanks for all the ideas
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Just an update on this one. The vet says George is allergic to something he has eaten. Unfortunately he has bitten chunks out of his rear end & tail so he is now on antibiotics & antibacterial sprays etc. & looking very sorry for himself in his plastic Elizabethan collar.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >