Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 03:23 AM

Bad Bath time...

So, I gave Nigredo one of Jadey's herbal baths a while ago. It consists of chamomile, sage, rosemary, marjoram, oatmeal, and a few other organic herbs. Just a little bit added to the bath water. Nothing chemical or ultra weird.

It helps repel fleas naturally, and makes her coat so much softer, and I also really like the smell it leaves on her... stays a while and rather pleasant. Makes her coat more shiny, and she's never had any problems with it... nor did my previous dog, Brownie.

Anyway, gave it to him... and pandemonium erupted. The next day, there was fur all over and he was itching and I was like OMGGG!!!!

Got him rinsed really well, and the itching has died down quite a bit. Anyway, now his coat is thin looking and bad. He's lost lots of sheen, and lots of fur. No complete bald patches, but just really, really thin.

I'm going to assume that he was allergic to something in the bath... as he was fine before the bath and there were no other changes. Not exactly sure what in the bath he reacted to ... but shall not be doing that again.

His skin is visible in some places his coat is so thin, and he's black but looks a dusty brown in some areas because of loss of hair and sheen. I can see it coming back in a little bit... but is there anything else I can do to help it along?

I don't see the point in a $45 vet exam if it'll grow back on it's own. I also don't see the point in giving him medications like Atopica or anything if it was just his bath...
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2013, 10:09 AM
That must have been quite a shock.

I don't bath my dogs, I do use a slicker to get the dead hair out, it is the dead hair that smells, then give them a good brush. The brush I use is similar to a horse's body brush, it gets to the skin and the skin gets a massage while I am brushing. Once I finish brushing I give them a wipe over with a baby wipe. They all have clean, shiny coats.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Sounds like he must be allergic to one of the ingredients, probably the camomile based on what I've read in the past

Try nootie, it's an American brand and what I use for Penelope.
I wash her at least a few times a week and her coat is lovely
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
Sounds like he must be allergic to one of the ingredients, probably the camomile based on what I've read in the past

Try nootie, it's an American brand and what I use for Penelope.
I wash her at least a few times a week and her coat is lovely
Yes, he was allergic to something I put in there, not sure what but won't be using anything like that again on him of course.

A few times a week? Goodness! She must be a very tolerant girl. All dogs I've had hate baths and make it an issue whenever it's bath time.

I see it sold near me for about $15 a bottle. Also looks very fragranced, which I'm worried he might also react to. Bottle doesn't look very big, either. Not sure I'm willing to pay that over a $3 bottle of baby shampoo. Certainly will consider it, though.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2013, 02:01 PM

She used to moan and grumble the whole time, now she isn't bothered unless the water is too hot or cold then she will start moaning.

It is very strongly fragranced but works well for Penelope with no dryness or itching or anything.

Depends how stingy you are using it, you can dilute a small squirt with water and it will last a long time that way.
Maybe the store or manufacturer would let you have a small sample if you explained nigredo is allergic to a lot.