Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
: ) it's what dogs do to us! It's always a bit of. A heart in the mouth moment isn't it...first time off lead.

With Remus, I had one walk with him with his foster carer and then picked him up to take him home the next day. He was about four months old. I had Tonks with me and the girls and lots of sausages! We went to a forestry enclosure, made sure he knew I had sausages...let Tonks off first and then, with heart in my mouth, let him off.......and he's still with us three months later. Lol!
????You've been in the forestry enclosure for three months
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
????You've been in the forestry enclosure for three months
Sometimes it feels like it!! Someone safe me pleeeaaseeeee!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 02:06 AM
That's the best time to let a puppy off! The younger the better! The amount of people who would come to puppy classes with a lively 7 month old puppy and ask when they should start letting it off lead... 'Five months ago!'
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I started letting Nigredo off his lead right away (never really used one actually). Puppies his age (3 months at the time) are usually NOT very fast.

This makes them rather easy to catch if they decide to make a break for it, but they usually have NO desire to run from the only sense of shelter they have.

I did some indoor "come" with treats and a clicker, and it quickly and easily transferred outside. He was following me about the yard hoping for a treat... and now, no treats, and NO annoying clicker... and he always stays right near me and comes when called.

It is when they get older, and their hormones begin to rage etc. do they find that exploring is less dangerous and more fun. That's just my opinion, though.
krisE
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Still no sign of the plastic wrapping- or sickness!
Just returned from the park where lexi was let off her lead for the first time - and we still have a puppy!!!! Yay!!!! She was really good. Even when she found something interesting ( I. E a plastic bottle) and when she found another dog to play with she came back when we called her!! Also a couple of mums from my kids school were there with their dogs, so that was really good for her.
Our next issue is that lexi loves walks in the park etc, but not from leaving the house! She just sits or pulls away until she is somewhere she doesnt recognise, and then she walks beautifully! Any tips???
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Well done!
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Haha...made me chuckle. Tonks didn't ever bolt from us but I remember the day she started to run further from me in walks. When they get to that stage you just hang on and put your trust in them and all the training you have put in!

Go for it! Keep it fun and exciting and if all else fails run in he opposite direction waving your arms and whooping and hollering! I've even been known to throw myself on the floor examining something really interesting.....and imaginary!
Only laughing because I had to do that the other day with Tia. We were heading towards the end of the field and the road home and she suddenly developed selective hearing so I lay down in the grass and called her and as soon as she realised I wasn't anywhere to be seen she came racing back to find me. When she found me she attacked me and jumped all over my head and covered me in kisses with her tail wagging crazily
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Puppies tend to want to follow, so I would get them off-lead as soon as possible, provided you know you are in a safe place - and give them lots of praise and keep stopping to play fun games and dish out treats. That way, you establish a 'range' past which they shouldn't venture and you make yourself the most fun person to be around.

It's so much easier with a young puppy!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=krisE;2706776]Still no sign of the plastic wrapping- or sickness!
Just returned from the park where lexi was let off her lead for the first time - and we still have a puppy!!!! Yay!!!! She was really good. Even when she found something interesting ( I. E a plastic bottle) and when she found another dog to play with she came back when we called her!! Also a couple of mums from my kids school were there with their dogs, so that was really good for her.
Our next issue is that lexi loves walks in the park etc, but not from leaving the house! She just sits or pulls away until she is somewhere she doesnt recognise, and then she walks beautifully! Any tips???[/QUOTE]

I think it's great that she's doing so well with her training at such a young age, it's the wtg I let mine off as soon as she was allowed out, it's bite the bullet, your heart is in your mouth but it pays dividends for the future. Now that you've taken the plunge, keep practicing that recall when she gets a few feet ahead and reward her each time, as sombody else has said, they establish a good boundary then when out walking with you offlead.

Regarding the issue you're having leaving the house, I find that quite strange, cos normally, a puppy can't wait to set off out into the big, wide world. Can you try coming out of the house via another route? If not, then you're going to have to act the fool, have a toy or something in your hand and treats in your pocket, cos if you don't distract this behaviour it could become a habit, a bad one, so best that you break it now whilst you still can. Pay her more attention as you come out of the house, make it more fun, show her you've got something that she wants and it's coming along with you, that kind of thing. Silly voice is good too, but if it's a busy street, I suppose there's a limit on just how loopy you can act, but it'll be well worth it in the long run.

Also, another little tip when your puppy is playing with another dog, call her back to you, and if she ignores you walk on a bit and call her again by name it's all good practice for calling her away from other dogs and distractions and it works so well at this young age, you won't regret all this nagging! When she comes back to you, give her lots of praise and treats and then let her play again, all this kind of thing done when out and about is how it gets so instilled into them over time.

I'm a nagger of puppies I'm afraid, but then I like the end results, and I've never had one Kevin yet who wanted to escape when the teenage years arrived, even though one of my trainers told me my dog would run off during the Kevin stage, I had great pleasure in telling her she never, ever did!

Practice makes perfect, repetition and consistency are the keys imo, and if you put lots and lots of hard work in now and for the next few weeks, you will never look back, so keep at it
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3