Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post
Yes they are...Pedigree/Mars.......
This worried me.. ... I too have ethical issues with pedigree and mars and feed JWB because they're
not owned by them... They were bought out by Royal Canin, who are owned by a French bank in main... Here's an article on their company

http://www.answers.com/topic/royal-canin-s-a

If you have evidence that they are owned by pedigree and Mars, please share, as it would make me seriously reconsider still feeding it to my dogs...
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 02:06 PM
What's the story with Pedigree?
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I would say the 3 best dry foods available in UK are

Timberwolf
Solid Gold
Orijen (which I have used in the best & have found it to be excellent)

But with these 3 costing approx £50 a bag. Like somebody else has said who at the moment can afford those prices.

I currently am feeding Arden Grange which I am finding good. I have also fed Burns in the past which is also a good food.
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
This worried me.. ... I too have ethical issues with pedigree and mars and feed JWB because they're
not owned by them... They were bought out by Royal Canin, who are owned by a French bank in main... Here's an article on their company

If you have evidence that they are owned by pedigree and Mars, please share, as it would make me seriously reconsider still feeding it to my dogs...
Crown Petfoods is part of the Pedigree/Mars Group. Their foods are manufactured in Somerset. As stated on many occasions, the group test their products on animals.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...02/ai_n6836713
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

If you call either, JWB or Royal Canin you will go to the same company helpdesk guaranteed. However i cant see what all the fuss is about testing dog food on dogs!!?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by dogmarley View Post
If you call either, JWB or Royal Canin you will go to the same company helpdesk guaranteed. However i cant see what all the fuss is about testing dog food on dogs!!?
They don't 'test' the food as in do taste tests we are talking about vivisection. Destroying a dogs liver then feeding the food for a bit followed by killing and chopping up said dog to see what it does
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Well as i mentioned when asking the question, which dry dog food is best i have no concern for the moral or political issues that seem to surround this subject on this website my concern at present is only for the wellbeing and absolute best start for my puppy....

This isn't because i dont care its because you can go on and on never using this, never eating that and it can get a ridiculous and above all contradictory!

sorry......
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Well as i mentioned when asking the question, which dry dog food is best i have no concern for the moral or political issues that seem to surround this subject on this website my concern at present is only for the wellbeing and absolute best start for my puppy....

This isn't because i dont care its because you can go on and on never using this, never eating that and it can get a ridiculous and above all contradictory!

sorry......
I think you will find that most people on this site are very concerned about the moral issues surrounding testing on animals generally and dogs in particular. You give me the impression that your dog matters, other dogs don't. ALL dogs matter - and should not suffer for others' gain.

If it is generally known that cruel testing takes place, surely it is better to avoid the product and to choose an alternative, especially as so many good ones are available?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post
I think you will find that most people on this site are very concerned about the moral issues surrounding testing on animals generally and dogs in particular. You give me the impression that your dog matters, other dogs don't. ALL dogs matter - and should not suffer for others' gain.

If it is generally known that cruel testing takes place, surely it is better to avoid the product and to choose an alternative, especially as so many good ones are available?
Great post and couldn't agree more!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 03:33 PM
One of the things the company hired by the makers of IAMS did when testing their food which combats gum disease, was to actually introduce infection into dogs' gums by cutting them open. They then tested the different foods to see which one cured the gum disease.

That's the kind of testing that goes on. It's nothing to do with 'this website'. It's been a known fact for a long time.

Just wanted to mention that, just because a food is expensive, doesn't mean it's good Check the ingredients and what is the main ingredient. You should be aiming for something with the highest meat percentage, no wheat, no by-products, no artificial colourings/flavourings/preservatives if you want the best quality dried food.

Like I said before, I believe AG to be the best - and I think it's cheaper than JWB. Looking at the JWB ingredients, it has 'turkey meat meal'. What is that? Could be anything! AG has 18% FRESH chicken and 18% chicken meal. So you get more actual meat in AG.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >