View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I meant to add, you can't talk about an oldie without posting a picture. I love oldies
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Aww, A, I know EXACTLY how you feel - you could be talking about Kip with nearly everything you say (except I suppose Kip's been getting old more gradually than Biff).

Kip has hardly cocked his leg to pee for a couple of years - he goes like a puppy & often walks just as you describe - on bad days I only take him for walks on grass because I'm worried about him scraping his nails/toes on hard ground.

I must admit, the vet has never suggested neuro problems for Kip - its all to do with his arthritis in his hips & muscle wastage.

Muscle wastage is one of the reasons that I still take him on reasonable length walks (though I would never force him if he didn't want to go) because I just feel that if he doesn't keep moving & using his muscles, his back legs will just totally fail.

He was at hydrotherapy last week - which alwasys seems to make a big difference to him, but even so, I must admit there are days when he's asleep and I find myself checking to make sure he is still breathing.

Over the past month or so I have wondered about his quality of life - I don't want to be one of those people who keeps their dog going just because they can't bear to part with them. In addition to his leg problems he's nearly deaf and going blind. But - he still seems to be enjoying life.

He's always ready for a walk (apart from the 'round the block short one which sometimes he finds too boring!) and still loves to play.

As long as they are still enjoying life (even though at a slower pace) I think we have to accept they are getting older and try not to be too sad about the things they used to be able to do but can't anymore, but it isn't easy.

(((hugs)))
Hali thank you. You have hit the nail on the head I think. I've been wondering today and yesterday about quality of life for him...he's hurting so much (or seems to be) but he still has a twinkle in his eye, he still eats, still initiates play with the pup at times and is still able to scream with joy when my OH comes in from work! :smt002 As long as all those things are in place then i think he's happy, I just may need to up his pain management and will chat to the vet about that.

The vet did mention muscle wastage with Biff as well, and when he initially went on the rimadyl and was checked 2 weeks later, his muscle wastage was better as well as his neuro signs...but his walks had stayed the same so I didn't understand that one.

Thanks so much Hali and a big hug to you too!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks Rachel.
I think you're right and it is partly the weather.Bless him he can't walk far nowadays without being really sore the following day we have to be so careful with him and just take each day as it comes...today he was only out for 10 minutes and given the way he's moaning everytime he moves in his sleep, I'm guessing he won't be out again or he'll be even worse tomorrow. The vet has banned him from free runs as he doesn't want him to injure himself...Biff is a nutter and that can kick in at any moment regardless of how much he is hurting! :smt001

I love old dogs so much but they are such a worry...I guess I'm also concerned about how fast these lumps seem to be growing...why would they suddnely increase in size and number...of course the worry is that it is a lipoma causing the neuro symptoms...and if that is also growing.
Sigh.

(We checked with the vet about you know who though and he said it was actually a great idea! :smt002 )
I'm sure Biff will delight in it A!

Big hugs to you both A - they are wonderful these oldies but a worry as you say.

I only worried about Sacha not eating because the two things she loves is eating and sleeping!

I do feel the dampness is a bigger impact to them than we realise.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Big hugs Ramble to you and Biff

My old girl got like this ,I bought her a really snuggly dog coat to wear out on walks and that seemed to help the stiffness, and at night I put a blanket over the top of her to keep a chill off her back, she develped fatty lumps, went deaf but plodded along for a few years, she just suddenly grew old, and it took me awhile to adjust to it I ended up cutting back on her walks to one short one a day, and she slept most of the time,get up have a stretch and go back to bed
It did take me some time to get used to seeing her slow down, but I know she was happy, just an old lady

Love to Biff xxxxx
Thanks Moonstone.
Yep Biff seems to have suddenly aged, but he has had quite a stressful year bless him. It's a shock seeing him now when I think back to how he was this time last year. WE have to be so careful with him.

Here he is as requested!

You know it wasn't taken that long ago but he's aged since then!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I'm sure Biff will delight in it A!

Big hugs to you both A - they are wonderful these oldies but a worry as you say.

I only worried about Sacha not eating because the two things she loves is eating and sleeping!

I do feel the dampness is a bigger impact to them than we realise.
Me too....he loves things like that! :smt002

I agree about the damp, my mum is the same!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:20 PM
So sad when you notice them ageing, but remember as Cesar Milan says you can't feel sorry for him he will pick up on your energy, give him a big cuddle from us please x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
From what you say, I'm sure Biff is very much still enjoying life, if he's instigating playing that to me says an awful lot.

I'm sure he probably doesn't worry about what he can't do anymore in the way that we do
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
So sad when you notice them ageing, but remember as Cesar Milan says you can't feel sorry for him he will pick up on your energy, give him a big cuddle from us please x
Aww thanks for the cuddle all gratefully received.
I still feel sorry for him though! :smt002
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
From what you say, I'm sure Biff is very much still enjoying life, if he's instigating playing that to me says an awful lot.

I'm sure he probably doesn't worry about what he can't do anymore in the way that we do
Thanks Hali...you're right.
Mind you I think he quickly regrets initiating play!
I'm not sure if initiating play with a young dog that is three times your height and twice your weight is that good an idea....the vets also agree with us that he is a particularly stupid dog!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks Moonstone.
Yep Biff seems to have suddenly aged, but he has had quite a stressful year bless him. It's a shock seeing him now when I think back to how he was this time last year. WE have to be so careful with him.

Here he is as requested!

You know it wasn't taken that long ago but he's aged since then!
Aww what a handsome old boy xxxxx

I did find the coat really helps outside ,it's this damp weather.
I also bought a couple of thin doggie jumpers that she wore on very cold days, and I know if I had put them on her when she was younger she would of dragged them off, but she loved wearing them.

I know how you feel she seemed to age overnight, but then she plodded on for a couple of years. I think as londg as a dog is not in pain or has no quality of life,and has that twinkle in their eye then it's okay. Big gentle hugs to Biff xx
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >