Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Biff is slowing up... (long...sorry!)

My poor old boy has been having a bad couple of days. He is really stiff and carrying his rear end a bit funny. It's not like he can't walk, he can, he just drags his legs a little at points and can't cock his leg too well,so only had 3 really small wees just before as he couldn't keep is leg up.
To be honest, if you didn't know he had a problem you may not even notice he walks funny...but I know when he's bad.He's moaning a lot when he lies down too.

Over the last couple of months he's not been as energetic as he once was and his lipomas (fatty lumps) seem to be cropping up everywhere and the ones he had before are increasing in size quite dramatically. The vet did say that he felt there was a neurological problem and it could be a lipoma pressing on his spine.

He was also sick once and had dire rear the day before yesterday. Bless.

He just isn't the dog he was this time last year. I know he's been through a lot with the blow he had to his eye and losing his lifelong companion...and I do think it's taken it's toll. He's 11 and a half and I don't like to see him aging like he is. 18 months ago we were told he would pass for a dog half his age. Not anymore.

Sorry I've gone on. We're back at the vets in a couple of weeks...no point in going before to be honest as he has good days and bad days, he just seems to be having more bad days than good just now...but I guess the damp weather doesn't help!

Blimey...long moany post...sorry. Think I just needed to write it down and see if people think it's sounding as bad as I do??? He does initiate play with the pup at times....just not for long and not as often....sigh.

Anyone been through similar? Any thoughts?
Thanks guys and sorry for going on!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Have no advice for you sorry, I do hope your boy gets better though hun
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
You know your dog and how he usually is, I wouldn't like to comment as I don't know him so I can't tell whether he's good or bad.
I was going to mention the damp weather possibly affecting him. Is he on an age related diet? Is he on meds for pain?
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
thanks Zuba. The vet said he couldn't make him into a young dog again and that he will have bad days...so i don't think he can get better, it's just how quickly he seems to be going into decline that is worrying me I guess...
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:48 PM
aw poor biff he's had a rough time lately, my patchy was 'elderly' for about 3 years before he was pts he couldn't cock his leg and would just stand to do it.
have i missed something? have you got a pup?
the december weather has come on quite suddenly maybe he's feeling the cold. hope he gets better soon. x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You know your dog and how he usually is, I wouldn't like to comment as I don't know him so I can't tell whether he's good or bad.
I was going to mention the damp weather possibly affecting him. Is he on an age related diet? Is he on meds for pain?
Becky

Hi Becky.
He's on Burns as he's a fussy so and so and he'll eat that (as long as we moisten it! )
He was on metacam for about 2 months and it worked...then stopped working...so they put him on rimadyl about a month ago ....was at the vets 2 weeks ago and he was really pleased with him but the last few days he's been pretty bad.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:50 PM
(((((hugs to you)))))

my old lad - now also 11 and ahalf has fatty lumps all over his chest = one one his head and one on his leg

he too has arthritus in his back legs (both) - is very stiff when he gets up and groans when he lies down - when he gets up its like he's taking baby steps to get to where he wants - he soon walks it off though

this weather certainly dosent help- seems to be worse in winter

have you tried metacam? or cod liver oil - all our including millie has that - imo it does help them - millies only on it because i intend to do agility

hope he feels better soon

suzex
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:51 PM
My aunt gives this 'magic powder' http://www.fitnfertile.com/prod.asp?id=175 to her 12 year old GSD he's doing really well and she swears by it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
aw poor biff he's had a rough time lately, my patchy was 'elderly' for about 3 years before he was pts he couldn't cock his leg and would just stand to do it.
have i missed something? have you got a pup?
the december weather has come on quite suddenly maybe he's feeling the cold. hope he gets better soon. x
thanks Hayleybella...I guess that's the thing I'm wondering about as well..the time scale. He is hurting today and I hate to see it. Then again tomorrow he could be fine.

Current pup is 10 months....(we're puppy walkers).
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Biff is not too good at the moment
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »