Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2006, 01:14 PM

Birds in your garden

Apart from dogs, my other love is birds so I just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone gets any unusual birds coming into their garden. I've had some time off over christmas so I've had more time to watch what goes on outside when I'm usually at work and I'm quite surprised how many birds visit through the day. I haven't had anything really unusual but apart from all the usual starlings and sparrows and blackbirds etc I've seen goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, long-tailed tits, bullfinches, wagtails and even a goldcrest over the last few days.

Has anyone else seen any interesting birds in their garden lately?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't have a garden but I have a large balcony. We get a lot of magpies around us. Lovely colours and cheeky little blighters LOL they fascinate me
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
We often get a kestrel preching on the tree at the back of the garden and when it's not about we have a resedend(sp?) robin who is not bothered by the cat
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Not a big twitcher

But - saw a Jay for the 1st time this year (last year??!) in wales. And since then I have seen one in my garden () and two in the park!!!

I have also seen a tree creeper before, years ago, in the lakes!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2006, 02:42 PM
We have green and greater spotted woodpeckers,jays and all the usual tits.Chaffinch,bullfinch,greenfinch,use to have a wood nuthatch visit,but he has stopped visiting,seen a sparrowhawk and a kestrel yeterday perched in a tree in the field across from our garden.I love to watch them
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2006, 05:06 PM
the ususal range of tits, robins, chaffinches etc. Plus a nut hatch, a green woodpecker & currently about 2000 starlings (although they have been thinned out a bit c/o my son & his airrifle...they are plague proportions & we are a bit paranoid about them carrying bird flu here!!!)
Lucy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Along with your usual suspects, we get Jays, Woodpeckers etc. We also get lots of parakeets (there is a huge colony at Five Arches which is very near me). The parakeets make sooo much noise! Get lots of squirels too.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I've got no idea what they are called but have seen some real nice birdies in my new garden we had a woodpecker last week...I was really chuffed cuz before all i've ever seen is just the same old sparrows etc...I just gotta find the names to them all now...lol
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a bird table and apart from the usual I get collared doves and bull finches. At least I think they are bull finches! They have a really vivid orange chest! Beautiful!
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I think birdwatching gets a bit addictive. I can spend hours staring out of my kitchen window watching all the funny little birds that come to my bird table. It's a pretty cheap way to entertain yourself anyway! Although between dog food and bird food I probably spend more feeding animals than I do on myself!

I'm jealous of all of you that get woodpeckers in your gardens. I've only ever seen them in the woods which are about 3 miles from my house, and I've never seen a green woodpecker anywhere.

I think magpies are underrated. We're quite used to seeing them, but if you'd never seen one before you'd think it was the most exotic bird you'd ever seen. So beautiful close up with all the different colours on the wings and tail. Just a shame they seem to attack other birds.

I get a sparrowhawk come in sometimes. He always seems to get chased off by crows though (thank goodness).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >