View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Spinal injury/bruising in dogs any advice?

Tuesday morning Mac hurt his spine. He ran after his ball and his back end kind of shunted into his front end with his back paws ending up in his front armpits. I picked him up, he limped for a bit about 100 yrds and then seemed fine so didn't think much of it.

Got home, he laid down for a hour or so and got up perfectly fine to come into the kitchen to eat his breakfast but then after about 2 hours I wanted him to go out for a wee as I was going to work for the day. He couldn't get up, not unheard of for Mac as his back legs aren't the best nowadays so picked him up again. He was standing with his head hung low and though he could walk he was very wobbly on his back end, kinda walking like he was drunk! He was still the same when I got home so made a vet appointment.

He was prescribed anti imflammatories and total rest for a week and see how he was. However after we got back from the vets he threw up yellow bile, he hadn't eaten in 24 hrs (his choice). I gave him his breakfast but he was very unwilling to eat it, ate a handful but threw it back up along with his tablet a few hours later. Next meal was the same, called vet and she told me to pick up anti sickness tablets, which I did and he hasn't been sick since. But also has eaten hardly anything. He has been taken off the 1st set of tablets and put on tramadol for now until he picks up eating as the other tablets needed to be given with food.

Thursday he seemed to be brighter in himself and was getting up, he was like this till yesterday where he has gone down hill. He can't get up, can't seem to change laying position and can't even stand when picked up.

I am extremely worried about him even though the vet said he could get worse before better as the bruising comes out. He is very subdued today and I will be giving the vets a ring later when they open.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this type of injury, I can't seem to find much on the net about it. Any advice to help him and make him more comfy would be extremely welcome.

Just to add we are waiting for blood test results in case his lack of eating is an under lying condition.

Many Thanks.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm sorry Ollie was similar inthe behaviour but he did have underlying illnesses so not really the same as an injury.

I hope he picks up soon and like your vet says when the bruising comes out he will start to feel more like his self again. Its horrible to see them like this and know its a waiting game.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I'm sorry Ollie was similar inthe behaviour but he did have underlying illnesses so not really the same as an injury.

I hope he picks up soon and like your vet says when the bruising comes out he will start to feel more like his self again. Its horrible to see them like this and know its a waiting game.
Thanks Lynn, I'm torn as I don't want him to suffer but want to give him the best chance I can.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Give it time, two people plus myself had/have dogs with spinal injuries and they pulled through, but time is the healer plus the meds of course.
Have you tried tiny strips of chicken handfed (I daresay you have) or having a plate on your knee, sitting on the floor, eating and sharing bits with him, I used to have to do that with Reah till she started feeling in less pain xxx
Hope it goes well
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2012, 12:04 PM
My dog was diagnosed with a slipped disc though I wasn't aware of her doing an injury. She had 3 months of complete bed rest, that is only going to the garden for toileting, food and water were brought to he in her bed. She had tramadol and steroids for a month then tramadol and metacam. Now she just has a reduced dose of metacam daily and limited excercise. This happened 3 years ago and she is now 13 and enjoys her life.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice but no more is needed.

Mac is unfortunately being pts in the next few hours. His blood test results came back that he's in kidney and liver failure, he has toxins so high the computer couldn't read them.

I am going to do what's right for my boy and end his suffering. I am absolutely heart broken, i don't know what I will do without my boy I've had him since I was 13 years old and am now 27 The dog has been my life, I just can't stop crying
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm very sorry.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 02:43 PM
So very sorry. Try to remember ALL THE GOOD TIMES, it helped me when I lost my last one. ( not easy but helped.)

My thoughts are with you, you are doing the right thing.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2012, 02:48 PM
So sorry, am thinking of you this afternoon xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I am so so sorry. xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >